Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Tide is turning.

Fingers crossed Mr F you could be right. Have felt for a few weeks that things are gradually getting better although we are still a bit Inconsistent . Certainly looking more up the table rather than down compared with a few games ago 👍

.....until the next home game. ....which is 7 days time

Our game is clearly more suited to the away day....we just don''t have the pace invention or guile to break a team down at carrow Rd. .hence the 4 wins all season. ...with some very ordinary teams leaving with points

Hopefully the like of hernandez and leitner can help in that regard

It''s a myth that our game is more suited to playing away. The problem at home has been not adhering to it, driven in part by this ridiculous "expectation" that home sides have to play every game on the front foot 100% of the time. If today''s game had been played at home, the booing would have started well before the end. Do people really prefer losing to Brentford 1:2 than beating them 1:0?

It''s no myth at all.....the differing attitude of an opposing side when they are at home to when they''re away being the major factor.

Most clubs in this league would still see a point at carrow Rd as a good result and will play accordingly. ...we clearly with 4 wins at home all season don''t have the setup to break that down

Those same clubs on their home turf will play quite differently.....

@westcoast

Possibly the stupidest thing I have ever read. It has nothing to do with the fans, but as GJL points out everything to do with the attitude of the teams we play at a Carrow Road

Teams sit back at Carrow Road and close off any space do we can’t play our near football. So we end up passing sideways over and over until we run out of ideas and the move breaks down

4 home wins, 2 of which we were losing at half time, tell us it simply doesn’t work

Or, maybe, rather than the expectations of the fans or the attitude of the away team, it could be our lack of tactical nous.

Our squad, from day one of the season, has been good enough to be pushing toward the top, unfortunately we are not.

"It has nothing to do with the fans"What is the point in going to a match then?  Are they there just to watch, or to get involved?  What is the point in shouting/singing at the top of your voice in support if it makes no difference?  I just don''t get it that people think fans don''t have some kind of effect on proceedings. A tense situation in the league or on a bad run of results will make a crowd worried and nervous even before a match which will transmit to players who also being aware of the situation will already be tending to feel more tense than usual.   Being on a poor home run is difficult to get out of for those reasons. It is a viscious circle of players not quite on their game and fans getting on their backs  and the only winners are the oposition who if they have anything about them will take advantage of that - and most clubs in this division have something about them.  The answer is of course with the players to rise above the tension and difficulties of the situation - but the fans can help them with the way they are at a match. If fans can''t have any effect, what is the point in being a supporter? 

So 2 people who don’t go to that many home games think it’s because of the fans.

Everybody who goes to home games think it’s because every team that comes to Carrow Road sets up to stifle us, and we haven’t been good enough tactically to change it. No amount of positive noise changes that fact.

At the moment we are playing a very limited offensive game which is the reason we have been so poor at home this season!

We are over relying on a wonderkid scoring long range strikes. Take away Maddisons 4-5 "once a season strikes" and we would be deep in the relegation mire!

We are easy to play against because we have no width which means that the ball hardly ever gets in the oppositions penalty box (let alone the 6 yard box) where most goals are scored, we offer limited opportunities to the centre forward who more often than not is never down the middle where you want him, none of midfielders run into forward area to link with the attack, our main attacking intent is to pass it to Maddison and we don''t move forward quick enough.

Hopefully the new signings will help improve things!

Even in away games we need to score first or we are b uggered with our limited attacjking intent!

Defensively we are very good but need to match this with a fluent attack to become promotion contenders!

[quote user="Ray"]Or, maybe, rather than the expectations of the fans or the attitude of the away team, it could be our lack of tactical nous.

Our squad, from day one of the season, has been good enough to be pushing toward the top, unfortunately we are not.[/quote]
I always think this is a bit throwaway. It''s not really tactical nous. We could smash people at home last season. That wasn''t tactical nous.
To be honest our main problem at home is pretty much every first half we''ve missed an absolute sitter. Those were going in last season.

Hogesar,

I understand your point but last season we had a different management team.

Didn''t see the game so won''t comment on that aspect.

Always delighted to win. Even better to win away.

I think the tide turning is maybe not apt just yet but we seem to have stopped the infuriating "spells" don''t win for 6, unbeaten for next 6 etc.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]It''s no myth at all.....the differing attitude of an opposing side when they are at home to when they''re away being the major factor.

Most clubs in this league would still see a point at carrow Rd as a good result and will play accordingly. ...we clearly with 4 wins at home all season don''t have the setup to break that down

Those same clubs on their home turf will play quite differently.....[/quote] Er, how does the fact that other clubs generally subscribe to the myth prove it''s not a myth? I know perfectly well that the myth is widespread, but that''s not a reason for continuing to go along with it. As regards the role of fans, I said "in part"; are you denying there is that expectation and that it has no bearing on how teams approach matches?

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]So 2 people who don’t go to that many home games think it’s because of the fans.

Everybody who goes to home games think it’s because every team that comes to Carrow Road sets up to stifle us, and we haven’t been good enough tactically to change it. No amount of positive noise changes that fact.[/quote]Come off it RB. Nobody said "it''s because of the fans". My exact words were ''It''s a myth that our game is more suited to playing away. The problem at home has been not adhering to it, driven in part by this ridiculous "expectation" that home sides have to play every game on the front foot 100% of the time." Where''s the mention of fans, let alone attribution of them being wholly responsible for the myth? The myth is widespread, and subscribed to by club owners, managers, players, commentators and pundits etc. as well as fans. My only reference to our fans was in the final sentence: are you denying City fans generally subscribe to the myth? 

The idea that without Maddisons goals we''d be deep in the relegation mire is one of the most one-eyed comments I''ve read on here for a long time. That makes so many assumptions about the rest of our players that really don''t bear scrutiny. If we''d have 16 less points without Maddison how many other points has Gunny got us. And what about Klose/Hanley/Zimmermann, Tettey/Trybull, Murphy''s goals. I could go on but by the logic that we''d have 24 points or less without Maddison we''d probably be on a minus points total without Maddison, Tettey and Klose.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Whatever the reason...be it fan related, the vast majority of clubs (unless you''re a man city ) adopt a different mentality when playing away to home, that''s a reality therefore not a myth[/quote]Ah, so Man City play much the same home and away? Maybe because they have decided to stick to their successful style every game irrespective of where it is played? Exactly, and that''s open to every club to do irrespective of which league they''re in. 

No...probably more to do with them having more money than anyone else therefore have the better players to impose their style ,regardless of opposition or venue....(although I''m sure they could have played their away game at anfield a little cleverer a couple of weeks ago)

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]No...probably more to do with them having more money than anyone else therefore have the better players to impose their style ,regardless of opposition or venue....(although I''m sure they could have played their away game at anfield a little cleverer a couple of weeks ago)[/quote] It has nothing to do with how much money is available or what standard your players are, everything to do with devoting what resources you have to developing an effective style of play for the standard of player you can afford. Isn''t that exactly what Lambert did to great effect? 
Whether you can or can''t impose your game on the opposition depends on how good the opposition are. On Saturday we were effective offensively (more so in the first half), and effective defensively throughout; there is no reason why we cannot be equally effective offensively and defensively in home games playing in exactly the same way.

We remain a one-goal side (with some newfound teamgeist), often riding our luck, and our success relying on scoring first and keeping a clean sheet. We''ve been like that most of the season, and I don''t see how the Brentford match changed it.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]No...probably more to do with them having more money than anyone else therefore have the better players to impose their style ,regardless of opposition or venue....(although I''m sure they could have played their away game at anfield a little cleverer a couple of weeks ago)[/quote] It has nothing to do with how much money is available or what standard your players are, everything to do with devoting what resources you have to developing an effective style of play for the standard of player you can afford. Isn''t that exactly what Lambert did to great effect? 
Whether you can or can''t impose your game on the opposition depends on how good the opposition are. On Saturday we were effective offensively (more so in the first half), and effective defensively throughout; there is no reason why we cannot be equally effective offensively and defensively in home games playing in exactly the same way.
[/quote]

It takes two to tango....we currently don''t have a good enough team to play the way we would like and cut through teams at will (and yes that is partially financially linked)...so to an extent we are effected by the mindset or tactics of the opposition as to the extent of the type of game we''re allowed to play. Better teams than us I. E wolves have the ability to impose their game on the opposition whatever their intent.

It’s not though is it. I was at Brentford. Second half we were dog awful and a better team would have beat us let alone draw with us. The last 2 games Tettey has been atrocious. Why Farke takes so long to make subs is beyond me. The midfield is poor which puts more pressure on the defence. The back 5 were good and Reed who was played out of position. We are toothless upfront and the away set up must change at home. 5 at the back and every man back for corners needs to change. Leave 2 on the halfway line at corners will stop teams pushing men forward. Need to be braver.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"] ............ It takes two to tango....we currently don''t have a good enough team to play the way we would like and cut through teams at will (and yes that is partially financially linked)...so to an extent we are effected by the mindset or tactics of the opposition as to the extent of the type of game we''re allowed to play. Better teams than us I. E wolves have the ability to impose their game on the opposition whatever their intent.[/quote] GJL, I agree that we are not in a position to "cut through teams at will", but what I''m arguing has no such implication; nor does it imply that what happens is unaffected by "the mindset or tactics of the opposition". Clearly, the way the game went at Brentford on Saturday was as much to do with Brentford''s quality, mindset and tactics as ours, nor could we seriously be said to have so dominated the game that we were able to "cut through Brentford at will". What I''m saying is that our approach to the game and style of play against Brentford, as also against Bristol and in other away games, is proven effective both offensively and defensively and we should keep the self same effective approach and style of play in home games rather than introducing changes simply because the game is being played at Carrow Road. 

‘What I''m saying is that our approach to the game and style of play against Brentford, as also against Bristol and in other away games, is proven effective both offensively and defensively and we should keep the self same effective approach and style of play in home games rather than introducing changes simply because the game is being played at Carrow Road.‘

IT DOESNT WORK AT CARROW ROAD DUE TO OTHER TEAMS SITTING BACK.

I’m really not sure which part of that you don’t get. Its really quite simple. When we play away other teams press. This opens up space for us to play in. Maddison’s goal at Bristol City goal is the perfect example of this.

At Carrow Road teams drop off and get back into 2 banks of 4. They don’t press. we can’t break them down, go sideways and everntually lose the ball. Teams close off the space, we make very limited chances.

It’s really not that difficult to work out. We have only won 4 home games, 2 of those we were losing at half time. That tells you everything you need to know...

The problem with tides is they turn on a regular basis. I''ll reserve judgement until after the next half a dozen games - home and away.

Our league position and goal difference tells the full story.

I was at Brentford and I was impressed by our defensive display (Zimmermann again, Reed out of position, etc...) ... But the point about the second half is valid...a better team would have capitalised on our failure to press higher iso sitting back.

I do feel our signings will have to be at the races from the off ...especially Srbeny... didn''t think much of Oliveira tbh