Sign in to follow this  
hampton canary

Team for Middlesbrough

I would love to see all the new players start but I cannot see Farke doing this so my starting 11 would be:

Gunn

Hanley Zimmermann Klose

Reed Tettey Lewis

Murphy Maddison Hernandez

Oliveira

Subs: McGovern, Raggett, Trybul, Leitner, Hoolahan, Srbeny, Watkins

I would go with basically the same team, but make an ever-so-slight tactical change...

Gunn

Hanley Zimmermann Klose

Pinto Tettey Vrancic Lewis

Maddison

Murphy Oliveira

The thinking is with 2 ''strikers'' we can pull the defense apart a bit more. The defender that sicks with Murphy should leave space for Maddison to exploit, should they stick to Maddison then that should allow Murphy more space to run in to. Playing Vrancic will allow us to play the ball for Murphy to run on to.

I think I’d go unchanged. The team did alright last time out. Might be tempted to swap Murphy out for either leitner or Hernandez.

If I am correct, there seems to be a general opinion that we were not especially brilliant second half.

We were excited and complimentary that we had brought in five new players after most believed that the team didn''t have the right personnel or balance and certainly no-one to challenge in certain positions.

Our main striker failed to score again. And from reports, our midfield look a bit short second half.

Doesn''t that really suggest that, if fit, at least two of the new players should be starting?

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]If I am correct, there seems to be a general opinion that we were not especially brilliant second half.

We were excited and complimentary that we had brought in five new players after most believed that the team didn''t have the right personnel or balance and certainly no-one to challenge in certain positions.

Our main striker failed to score again. And from reports, our midfield look a bit short second half.

Doesn''t that really suggest that, if fit, at least two of the new players should be starting?[/quote]

You can stop that KG!

There is no place for well balanced, thought out posts on here, my friend!

I do tend to agree though.

Good we can not play our best and get a victory, and with a couple of tweaks, we should be able to move on. Hopefully.

After 60mins we simply put up a wall. I would stick with the same formation but pinto in for reed despite the latters good performance.

Both murphy and oliveira were lively first half and caused the bees problems on sat. To have options for both in onel and dennis is a huge improvement. Add in leitner for either vrancic or maddison and trybull for tettey and we do have options. And thats without thr mercurial wes.

Unchanged for me, only thing I''d consider is Pinto back in for Reed if he is 100%. Reed did OK by all means, but isn''t that outlet that Pinto can be for us down the flank.

At least we have different options of the bench now, feels like we could turn things around with players like Onel and Leitner itching to get on

Same team for me except Pinto back in for Reed if he''s fit again.

Saturday was the best Nelson has looked for a while - feel like if he gets a goal then it could kick start a little run for him. Vrancic also now adding a bit of balance to the midfield when played alongside Tettey.

Lets not mess abput with it unecessaily and we have plenty of options on the bench now with the new players having arrived.

Did we string more than 2 or 3 passes together in the entire second half on Saturday? How many times did we needlessly concede possession? Just because we got three points doesn''t automatically mean that the same eleven should start the following game.

Nelson had a good first half but a so so second when Murphy, who also much less effective than in the first half, offered a greater threat. Fingers crossed we see more of that first half nelson this weekend as he is a danger when he chooses to use his clear ability. Fingers crossed having a sub to replace him with will mean greater energy levels more often.

As for dropping Tettey, it simply isn''t going to happen. If he is fit he starts. Esp as his knees have a weeks rest between matches . Simply we perform better with him than when we use two of reed, vrancic or trybull; they simply lack Tetteys presence, even when his energy level has dropped.

[quote user="Tootingyellow"]Did we string more than 2 or 3 passes together in the entire second half on Saturday? How many times did we needlessly concede possession? Just because we got three points doesn''t automatically mean that the same eleven should start the following game.[/quote]

The first 15 minutes of the second half we were extremely good and had Murphy not been having one of his off days and if we’d been a bit more precise with our counters then we could have had it wrapped up.

After that they pushed us back and in my view Farke got the subs wrong as they took away our outlet and it was not the best scenario to bring Leitner into given the pace of the game and we were on the back foot.

Press conf update:

Maddison - missed training Tue-Thurs, unspecified muscle injury

Klose - blistered heel

Wes/Trybull - not 100% but available

Pinto - getting there but not available tomorrow

Edwards - improved this week - "has shown his potential"

Jarvis - could join team training next week

If  Madders and Klose are doubtful then i guess its time for Raggett to get his first 90 mins and i dont know..maybe Leitner for Madders? There is also Edwards and Wes. Reed im sure can fill in for Pinto again.Ive been thinking last match or two Josh has not been at fill charge so maybe Hernandez can get his debut...or maybe he can be a come on sub later in the game. Farke seems to like Josh in the team thou, even when hes a but iffy as lately.On the surface it may seem dire if we lose big Timm and more so Madders, but we all know about our home form this season, so maybe its not a bad time for 3 or 4 changes, even if some are forced thru injury.

I don''t know about anyone else, but I think it would be ok without Maddison and/or Klose for a change - just to prove we are not a one or two man team.  If Madders is out of the game, it is an opportunity for others to step up and us see a different set up, with different players. It''s quite healthy to try diffenent things, even if the chnges are forced by injury - the new players might get an opportunity and the different midfield might prove more productive.  An if we go four at the back, then that should help us dominate midfield more. If Maddison/Klose not available, maybe....                  GunnReed  Hanley Zimmermann Lewis            Trybull Tettey  Hernandez  Vrancic  Leitner                   OlivieraWith Wes, Srbeny, Murphy to come on as options up front.  

Oh lord god that team LDC

Vrancic in the attacking midfield role he''s never played well in for us?

Leitner starting out of position despite having barley kicked a ball in two years?

Throwing out the formation that has worked so well for us of late?

Bloody hell.

For me....

Gunn

Hanley, Zimmerman, Raggatt

Reed, Tettey, Vrancic, Lewis

Hernandez, Wes

Nelson

Bench of McGovern, Watkins, Steipermann, Trybull, Srebny, Leitner, Murphy

[quote user="king canary"]Oh lord god that team LDC

Vrancic in the attacking midfield role he''s never played well in for us?

Leitner starting out of position despite having barley kicked a ball in two years?

Throwing out the formation that has worked so well for us of late?

Bloody hell.[/quote]

It was just a suggestion FFS, rogue baboon.  It''s not so stupid anyway -If Klose is out, it''s quite likely we will go four at the back.With Vrancic''s passing ability and two decent players beside him, he might shine - and he is an attacking midfielder, believe it or not. Leitner has technical ability to spare and with Lewis on the overlap, could be a good option in midfield in that situation - just because I have put him on the left, doesn''t mean he would be stuck to the touchline.  We need a strong midfield as Middsbro will be very strong there.

I have to say I can imagine the pant-wetting on here had Maddison''s injury issue been last week, i.e. in the run-up to the transfer window shutting and him potentially missing the Brentford game.

As to tomorrow, I don''t think LDC''s starting XI is too bad if you switch a couple positionally, but you''d think the same formation would be preferred if possible.

With the new signings getting up to speed & Madders possibly injured the midfield/attack is going to be difficult to call.

I also get the feeling Farke knows we have little chance of the play-offs (& almost none of relegation) so worth gambling on the possibility of some inspired performances ignited by the new recruits

Might be some surprises. Exciting!

I''m expecting a couple of surprises in team selection today. Leather maybe, Hernandez and Edwards on the bench with Dennis getting 30 minutes later.

Also, maybe at long last we will click at home for a good 80 minutes and not just have one decent half. Here''s to us scoring 3.