Sign in to follow this  
hampton canary

How soon should we start with Srbeny up front?

I fully support a head coach giving players a chance, especially strikers who often go on a long run without scoring; but is it time to give Srbeny a chance?

Oliveira has improved and seemed more interested in the last two matches, but personally I would like to see Srbeny given a start against Derby.

He has trained with the squad, his confidence will be high after scoring well for his previous club, but more importantly, Derby will know very little about him.

Best bet imo is to bring him on as a sub in a game we are winning, which will give him the chance to have a go without the extra pressure of having to score for us to win the match.  Then if he scores or does really well, it sets him up for a start in the following game. 

I wouldn''t change a winning team personally unless injury dictates. Pinto might come back in if fit I guess as that position is his and being filled by a midfielder.

Agree with Lakey''s comment above... We have some tough games coming up N.O''s experience may well be required over the next few games.

Because depending how results go I''m still convinced we have an outside chance of top six.

Perhaps when we are 3-0 up against the Binners he can get an hour on the pitch with little pressure?

Starting Srbeny is not going to make any difference. If Oliviera was missing chances then yeah I would agree, but its more of a case of so few chances bring created.

On Saturday I can think of 2 - 1 was a good save & 1 he passed to Maddison when he could have hit it on his left foot. Forgetting about the lack of chances I thought he actually led the line quite well

I personally think that Nelson has been playing OK, I thought he did well over the past two games and has perhaps upped his game since signing Srbeny. Yes, a strikers main job is to score, and he did have a few good chances on Sat, but he''s still getting in the right positions and having a good go. For me, that is enough as long as we are still winning games and he''s doing the hard work.

I''m with Lakey, bide time and get Srbeny on when he''s ready and the situation is right. Due to the lack of in the box chances we create, we could play Messi/Aguero/Neymar/Ronaldo in the same position and I''m certain they wouldn''t do much better.

I''d put him in now - straight into the starting XI.Couldn''t do any worse than NO who''s strike rate has been absolutely abysmal.Strikers are there to be in the right place at the right time, put away half chances and convert on a regular basis.Give the lad a chance, nothing to lose at this stage of the season

i think it''s hugely amusing how much support N.O. has got.

Is it because he is a Portugese International? Has played alongside Ronaldo? Does he have a flair and swagger that makes him look the real deal?

So, he''s turned up for work the last couple of games...excellent. Will he turn up for the rest of the season? who knows. Will he score again this season? Eventually yes.

Does he offer more as a non-scoring striker than Jerome? Not in a million years.

Yes I am a Jerome lover, and nothing has swayed this since he has left. I would have loved to see him offered the faith that N.O. has been given over the last god knows how many games. If Jerome a couple of starts without scoring he was dropped.

Back onto topic - YES Srbeny should been given some games - I don''t see anything in N.O.''s personality that we would lose by him not being in the starting line up or in the dressing room.

We need to be scoring more - and there is no disputing that.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Starting Srbeny is not going to make any difference. If Oliviera was missing chances then yeah I would agree, but its more of a case of so few chances bring created.

On Saturday I can think of 2 - 1 was a good save & 1 he passed to Maddison when he could have hit it on his left foot. Forgetting about the lack of chances I thought he actually led the line quite well[/quote]
I mean Oliveira has missed some absolute sitters which Jerome would have been slaughtered for. Not so much in the last couple of games where he has improved in his overall play but he''s not going to get too many easy chances when he''s so reluctant to run into the area when we''re attacking down the flanks.