Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Middlesboro

I usually arrive at the ground nicely timed to see the players run out but today we were there twenty minutes early and the stands were very sparsely populated. In fact if you imagined that the seats were blue you could almost have been at Portman Rd.It was good to see Madders make the starting line up and before kick off there was further good news with Tom Trybulls new contract being tied up until 2021. It was grey and a bit chilly as we began but it wasn''t long before a lovely move warmed things up. Murphy''s back heel to Oliviera set the big man on a run across the edge of the box and his lay off to the left seemed perfect for Maddison, only for the City talisman to cut back onto his right foot inviting the inevitable block.City were passing the ball about nicely in these opening minutes but Boro soon settled and Traore skipped away down the left beating a couple of defenders before rifling a low shot from 20 yards only a couple of feet wide of Gunn''s right post. Gestede was proving a handful for the City back line and a couple of minutes later a nice lay off produced another shot from a similar distance that this time went a yard wide of the other post.For a while it got a bit scrappy in a well contested midfield but eventually there was some decent passing play from both teams but with little real danger to either goal. Oliviera won a free kick 25 yards out but Maddison opted to touch it to Murphy who lifted it over while at the other end a Boro corner was hacked away by Tim Klose.Gestede had earlier received a yellow for getting a bit too physical and then compounded matters on 28 minutes when going right through Grant Hanley and was rightly red carded. It was a great opportunity for the home side and from there on it was virtually all one way traffic.City began to dominate and the ball was pinged about smartly from side to side but with Boro defending in numbers there was very little in the way of penetration. Tetty had a chance but it was on the wrong foot and he hit it awkwardly a foot wide. Then Oliviera broke into the box from the right only for Randolph to make a diving save. Madders and Murphy also had half chances in the run up to half time.It looked very much like going in all square but barely were the words out of my mouth that we needed a goal before the break, when Tom Trybull lashed a 25 yarder just inside Randolph''s right post. From my end I thought it was going to hit the post but it bent perfectly to beat Randolph''s despairing dive.A small sip of Jamesons (medicinal purposes[;)]) rounded of half time nicely and when the second period began it was much the same with City camped out in a line thirty yards from the Boro goal. There was endless patience and good accurate passing but Boro seemed to close up every avenue and shots on goal were rare. Lewis eventually broke to the line and pulled on back which Oliviera hit sweetly only for Randolph to get a good hand to it and scramble it away. I was willing the big man to get a deserved goal and although he again tested the visiting keeper he let his frustration show when banging one over from miles out.A free fick just outside the box offered Madders an opportunity and as I had seen him practicing low shots during the warm up I wasn''t at all surprised when he fizzed a grass cutter just inches wide whilst everyone was expecting one over the wall.Murphy was having similar luck but almost broke through from a decent ball over the top only to be crowded out as he went to pull the trigger. He then sent one into the side netting from a narrow angle but you could see it wasn''t going to be his day. Leitner replaced Trybull who went off to generous applause just past the hour and later Hernandez came on for Murphy. By this time City appeared to have punched themselves out but as we moved into added time Hernandez broke clear and opted for shot when a pull back would have brought a simple tap in for Oliviera or Leitner but its hard to blame him for having a go.I was dreading a silly late mistake but thankfully it never happened as time finally elapsed in a game where City must have played more passes than any time in their entire history. A deserved result and technically satisfying I suppose but a real dearth of excitement.TT my MOM.

Thanks Ricardo, I''ll settle for a few not very exciting 1 nil wins in the next few games. Then we can build on these solid performances.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]Thanks Ricardo, I''ll settle for a few not very exciting 1 nil wins in the next few games. Then we can build on these solid performances.[/quote]Indeed WCC, if they scored in the first minute they could play head tennis for the next eighty nine for all I care.[:D]

20 minutes early ... was your granddaughter driving ricardo? :-)

I thought Tettey was superfluous today. We really needed someone like Wes to do his magic stuff in & around the box when we''re camped so close to their goal. But, hey ho, mustn''t grumble, 1-0 to the Norwich!

You''re right Ron, given our numerical and scoreline advantage, the game cried out for Wes the little Wiz. A bit of Oirish magic is exactly what we needed to open their defence, having said that, Leitner looked like he might be Wes''s eventual successor, time will tell.

On the whole, I am enjoying our new look Club/team/philosophy.

Thanks Ricardo.Like you I was dreading a silly mistake but I thought that we were very disciplined. There was one very threatening move however, when Traore broke away and Tettey tried to kick him into touch but failed - fortunately for us the ref gave a freekick and booked Tettey. Pulis went mad on the touchline, wanting the ref to play advantage [:D]

"A small sip of Jamesons (medicinal purposesWink [;)]) rounded of half time nicely "A small sip ?What were you thinking of ?

A small sip, indeedBl00dy lightweight

Great report as usual Ricardo - I always enjoy reading them each week whether I''ve been at the match or not (well, especially if I''ve not!).

I understand what you mean about a dearth of excitement but I personally felt really satisfied by how we totally dominated the ball and didn''t allow Boro'' to get into the game. It was a welcome change from nervously hanging on and repelling attack after attack. I think it was one of the clearest examples of how Farke wants us to set up and play - just total dominance of the ball and game in general.

It''s great when we''re ahead but perhaps not troubling enough for the opposition when we''re behind. I guess we just need to work on creating more meaningful chances now, but I remain hopeful that we''re moving in the right direction.

Stone, thanks for the reply.

What we need to remember is that we were playing against ten men for the hour of total domination. Boro obviously had to readjust their formation after the sending off but I agree that it was good to see our patient play and the way we moved the axis of attack from side to side. However the game is about scoring goals and while this remains a problem we are unlikely to trouble the playoff positions.

[quote user="ricardo"]Stone, thanks for the reply.

What we need to remember is that we were playing against ten men for the hour of total domination. Boro obviously had to readjust their formation after the sending off but I agree that it was good to see our patient play and the way we moved the axis of attack from side to side. However the game is about scoring goals and while this remains a problem we are unlikely to trouble the playoff positions.[/quote]

Remind us ho many more goals we scored last season ............. to finish eighthIf the game is about anything then it is about winning. .......... which we now seem to be doing

That''s true enough Ricardo, but I suppose the job still had to be done. We did at least remain on the front foot and in compete control, as opposed to dropping back and inviting pressure from Boro, which even with 10 men and some talented individuals they would still have been capable of applying.

Absolutely agree that we need to start creating and scoring more - but I guess all managers will tell you the defence has to be sorted first. Currently I still don''t see us troubling the playoff positions but I''m hopeful we''re building and heading in the right direction.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Really impressed with Leitner when he came on but I''d have liked to see Dennis Srbeny given a run out

[/quote]

Likewise, but I would imagine the logic it would be more beneficial for Nelson to get a goal. Due to being down to 10 men the chance of that was probably more likely. Sadly, not to be, although I thought personally he played very well, and was perhaps unlucky not to score.

As for Onel, probably hard to have a go at him for shooting, but it was on a plate for Leitner if he''d have squared it.

Nevermind, 3 points is all that matters.

Good as always Ricardo to read your reports.

At the moment I am in New Zealand visiting the in laws and NCFC are not top of the list of Kiwis favourite teams so difficult to get too much news.

So pleased with the result and just the thing to lift the spirits after a long flight and overnight delay.

OTBC

Happy to be of service KG, have a nice time in the antipodes. Will you be back for 1p5wich?

Unfortunately not Ricardo. Get back into UK to follow the Wolves match.