Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Has indirect free kicks gone out the game?

Just watched a very dodgy penalty award to Spurs, but when has a player getting touched without control of the ball, not a goal scoring chance a penalty? Surely at best it’s an indirect free kick?

Slightly different, but what about goalkeepers holding onto the ball? It used to be 6 seconds or something similar?

These days the goalkeeper catches the ball, dives onto the ground, takes his time getting up, waits for the rest of his team to get in position and then eventually plays the ball?

Has indirect free kicks gone out the game?

The simple answer is yes. players get blocked nowadays and it''s always a foul and direct free kick !

It does seem it, can''t remember the last indirect free kick I''ve seen other than a pass back to keeper who picked it up.

I wasn’t that observant, but then why award a penalty for a non goal scoring opportunity? Surely it’s still an indirect free kick fouls deemed to be obstruction, like off the ball shirt pull, or like that Liverpool game when Spurs Lamela decided to fall over with the ball long gone!

Also it should be said how embarrassing Spurs are at falling over even without any contact, it must be taught during training, worst of the lot is Deli Ali, which is so sad as he’s far too good a player to be doing that!

If it''s a foul, in the penalty area, then it''s penalty. Except if it''s a back pass, then it''s an indirect free kick. Keepers often delay picking up the ball unless necessary due to the six seconds rule.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]If it''s a foul, in the penalty area, then it''s penalty. Except if it''s a back pass, then it''s an indirect free kick. Keepers often delay picking up the ball unless necessary due to the six seconds rule.[/quote]

The six seconds rule is universally ignored. It''s as if it no longer exists!

Webbo118 wrote the following post at 05/02/2018 5:51 PM:

The six seconds rule is universally ignored. It''s as if it no longer exists!

................. as does the encroachment rule on penalties.

I can''t remember the last time I saw a legally taken penalty.

The other rule that seems to get widely ignored is time wasting- I couldn''t believe some of what Sheffield United got away with. If referees booked people in the first or second instance they might actually stop it from happening- instead they wait until it has reached ridiculous proportions before they finally wield the yellow.

@ king

The Boro game is the prefect example. When down to 10 men the keeper was clearly taking an age with every goal kick. It was the same process every time, making sure it was on the exact spot, at the exact angle etc, yet the ref was more than happy to just walk away.

But what winds me up most is when refs either ignore it for large parts of the game, or start to point to their watch, only to eventually book the keeper in injury time (having walked half the length of the pitch to do it, then turn aground & walk half the length of the pitch back)

Keep it simple. Warn the player once, then book him the next time. If he does it again, its a 2nd yellow.

I couldn''t get to Boro so used Shef U as an example but it doesn''t surprise me.

The most egregious example v Shef was when one of our players tried to pass the ball back to their keeper so he could take a free kick. A defender intercepted it, dribbled it 3 or 4 steps forward then ran away from it so another one of our players had to run over to kick it to their keeper.

So very obvious and very easily stopped but refs just refuse.