Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Tettey in contract talks

He is at a stage in his career where he is unlikely to land a big wage multi year contract. Accepting lesser wages for a longer contract where you are already settled could have appeal. So this might just happen.

Hmm, tricky. Would you rather have Tettey or Godfrey alongside Trybull next season? Then there''s MacLean, Leitner (hopefully), Vrancic, Stiepermann and Thomson to consider.

All assuming Wes and Maddison are leaving of course. Which begs a different question, if you could only choose one (or could only afford one) would you rather Wes or Tettey stayed?

Currently I feel Tettey would have to be the one staying. When he was out with his lengthy injury the first thing I said to friends (and on a couple of Norwich FB pages) was "We will struggle without Tettey"And we did...It''s been said many times before but he is critical to the way we play. He reads danger so well, breaks up play, understands his role and is actually a better passer of the ball than people give him credit for. Godfrey may well be able to do a job and I''m sure we''ll see him get game time next season (for example, it might be Godfrey and Tettey one week, Tettey and Trybull the next...or Godfrey and Trybull... We''d have options- Brilliant!)

Interesting- I wonder also if we''re talking to him about his post playing career which might persuade him to stay.

Would hope we do get to see Godfrey next season though- Tettey, Trybull, Vrancic and Godfrey is a solid selection of central midfielders I think.

I think Godfrey should be starting next season but I think Tettey has a role to play in the squad, and an important one at that.

At this point I''d rather have Tettey over wes.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Do we hold an option on the Tetty''s contract and if so can we even re-negotiate the terms?[/quote]I don''t think so. and any option would be on the same termsI think this best sums it up[quote user="Sussexyellow"]He is at a stage in his career where he is

unlikely to land a big wage multi year contract. Accepting lesser wages

for a longer contract where you are already settled could have appeal.

So this might just happen.[/quote]

Had heard that Molde were already talking to him, not sure how reliable it is as it’s a Norwegian contact I have said.

I’m not too sure we really need Tettey or Wes next year, both been superb for us and could be the right time now to move on?

It does depend on what our coaching think of our youngsters, maybe they think their not up to it just yet, so keeping Tettey on reduced wages would be an option.

I’d be happy either way, good player to have and still got a bit in to offer next year.

[quote user="Indy"]Had heard that Molde were already talking to him, not sure how reliable it is as it’s a Norwegian contact I have said.

I’m not too sure we really need Tettey or Wes next year, both been superb for us and could be the right time now to move on?

It does depend on what our coaching think of our youngsters, maybe they think their not up to it just yet, so keeping Tettey on reduced wages would be an option.

I’d be happy either way, good player to have and still got a bit in to offer next year.[/quote]only if we don''t go up 

Anyone who thinks we dont need Tettey is deluded. What we need is Tettey to stay Godfrey to lean abit from him, then finally oust him from the side.

Tettey is without doubt the most important player in the team. Results this season with him or without him speaks for itself. His presence in the team is more valuable than for example Maddison’s. The way Tettey is balancing the team is indispensible.

A replacement with Tettey’s calibre as a holding midfielder is in the £15 millions ++ market

His impact on this seasons results is undeniable and set him apart this season. Relegation form without him, automatic slot with him

If he gets a better offer elsewhere, which given his age and knees isnt guaranteed, then i suspect he will go, but if his wage expectations can be lowered to match ours then the club will be stronger for it next season, esp with Godfrey returning too.

Tettey is still a big player at this level. If he can be accommodated within the new wage structure then a 2 to 3 year contract would be wonderful news for all concerned. As for Wes sentiment may give him another year but given his age it must be about retirement time

Tettey has shown himself to be essential this season, and while Godfrey is showing a lot of talent - he is a different type of player to Tettey and not a direct replacement from what I have seen of him.

If Norwich can get Tettey to sign on reasonable terms then it will only be a positive for Norwich.

Tettey as a holding midfielder is class, one of the best in the league. Cant pass forwards (or backwards as we saw against Sheff United, lol) but I think keeping him is vital. I had worried about Godfreys development next season but the more I think about it the more I think with Tetteys knees and what he can teach Godfrey were gonna need them both. A holding quartet of Trybull, Godfrey, Tettey and an ever improving Vrancic strikes me as one of the best engine rooms in the league.

[quote user="Parma Ham''s gone mouldy"]I would not expect Tettey to be here next season.

Parma

High wages, questionable fitness, I would not expect him to be here next season either.

We have had most of our better results with Tettey in the side, and that’s due to the type of player he is and his discipline in position. He doesn’t have fantastic abillity, and actually wouldn’t be that difficult to replace. So long as that replacement is the same type of ‘play breaker’ player Tettey is. There’s plenty of those players about, but none currently at Norwich.

Godfrey isn’t this type. He has far too much abillity, it would be a waste restricting him to the Tettey role.

With discussions on Tettey''s future ongoing at the club, its at least acknowledgement that the new regime do want him here for at least another season, much i guess is down to Alex himself. With Wes seemingly coming to the end of his City career, Tettey could well be the last of the old guard from the past few seasons to still have the chance to turn out for us, such has been the dramatic change in player overhaul the last two windows.So valuable in his given role, im not so sure its as easy as some think to replace a guy who does what he does for us.