Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Looking forward to play offs

Now that we look likely to challenge for top six, the manager needs to earn his corn.He must make sure nobody gets carried away and loses concentration.focus on one game at a time.

[quote user="mr footy"]the manager needs to earn his corn.He must make sure nobody gets carried away and loses concentration.focus on one game at a time.[/quote]So no change there then

Put it out of your head m8...it''s the hope that kills you...

I still don''t think this team will be in the play offs

The remainder of this season is about building and improving - do that and we will go up the table. That will inevitably mean we will get closer to the play off positions and by the end of it hopefully be challenging for them.  We might not actually get there, but we may at least be put some pressure on those that are. Still plenty to play for.

we will finish around 10th this season.

The playoffs look possible, and are, but it would take extraordinary form to achieve because the teams above will pick up points.

Aim for it but dont expect it.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]we will finish around 10th this season.

The playoffs look possible, and are, but it would take extraordinary form to achieve because the teams above will pick up points.

Aim for it but dont expect it.[/quote]Of course teams above will pick up points, that''s pretty much what happens in all leaguesIt would take ''extraordinary form'', two points a game to give us 75 points (usual target).All we can do is aim to pick up as many points as possible, just as we would do in any other place in the table.All that has changed recently is that the target has become possible points wise and we have been hitting that target of two points a game.Personally I think we have the ability to do. Much usually depends upon the ''spirit'' of the team - something we had 2009-20011 and in the latter half of 2015.But that doesn''t mean we will, nor do I expect us to - and discussing it is NOT tempting fate. However with that renewed spirit and players I will state that the remaining games will be a lot more enjoyable that those leading up to Xmas.So enjoy.

Should not even be thinking of play offs or relegation, the OP saying play offs looking "likely" , which to me is way over the top positivism. I regard play offs as unlikely and relegation as very remote. I mentioned a couple of games back about the Fulham dynamic, as i called it, which will lead to the top six picking up points at a faster rate. We have done so good picking up 9 points from the Bristol City / Sheff Utd / Brentford and Boro run of games, but the 8 point gap still remains and after the next 3 games i think we will see that gap widen, which should slow this to positive talking by someway.Way more important  to me, what we should be really debating, is not current league position but what DF has achieved up till now and the hopes we have to see him continue the improvement. After two massive overhaul windows, on the pitch he has melded a defence that is unrecognisable from recent seasons, and its a defence that is very frugal in letting goals in. DF  has also made the 1-0 win into a near artform which, in this  early stage of the new set up, has been welcome and good enough to pick up many important points. Obviously as fans, goals are what we all want to see  and DF next task is somehow to find the right style to see City scoring more, while retaining the very good record our defence now has.I kind of think this will be a bigger challenge for DF than the job he had of melding a solid defensive unit that we now have, maybe patience will be needed for longer than we want, but overall, im confident that DF can and will achieve this but maybe not see its fruition until well into next season. So, for me, talk of relegation / play offs is a minor thing compared to what ive posted here, my main things i want to see is more goals and stay unbeaten to them lot down the road.

Based on this from experimental361 I think that even you are being over optimistic (and pessimistic)

https://experimental361.com/2018/02/04/e-ratings-update-championship-3-feb-2018/ (clicky please)

" We have done so good picking up 9 points from the Bristol City / Sheff

Utd / Brentford and Boro run of games, but the 8 point gap still remains

and after the next 3 games i think we will see that gap widen, which

should slow this to positive talking by someway."That completely misses the point.Virtually every season anyone achieving 75 points makes the playoffs. That number or what is needed will determine whether we make the playoffs NOT other clubs picking up points. Teams always do.Again I reiterate. It is only because we are now at a possibly achievable two points per game average, and we are playing well that it is a possibility. Just as it is now more probable that we will beat the binners next week than it as during our summer games and the losing streak before Xmas.it is not a prediction, nor an expectation. Merely a comment on where we are.Just as stating that after moving two high earners of the wage bill and some hefty transfer income we are more likely to be in a healthy financial position than we were in December.That''s all.

This is spot on.  It''s premature to dismiss our chances of getting into the playoffs, as many have done.  With an 8-point gap, clearly the odds are against us, but if we can manage to average 2 points per game over 16 games, that should be enough.  There''s a fair chance that we - or one of the other teams around us - will do this.

And our squad is still one of the better ones in the division.

The next 3 games are crucial though , because we''re playing the team in second, the runaway leaders and our local derby, so on paper one of our hardest runs of games.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

This is spot on.  It''s premature to dismiss our chances of getting into the playoffs, as many have done.  With an 8-point gap, clearly the odds are against us, but if we can manage to average 2 points per game over 16 games, that should be enough.  There''s a fair chance that we - or one of the other teams around us - will do this.

And our squad is still one of the better ones in the division.

The next 3 games are crucial though , because we''re playing the team in second, the runaway leaders and our local derby, so on paper one of our hardest runs of games.[/quote]

This^^^   Also, the teams above us have to play each other and that will mean points will be dropped along the way, allowing us - or any team that puts a good run together - the chance of catching up.   It''s a tall order, but the challenge is there.

Can we just put this thread to bed until after the Wolves game?

We have the 2 hardest away games on paper coming up, with our biggest rivals at home in the middle. If we can get at least 3 points from the 2 away games and beat ‘them’ we will still be hanging in there. Any less and I think we may find ourselves even further behind.

It’s not worth looking at the playoffs just yet - let’s just get trough these next 10 days first!

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Can we just put this thread to bed until after the Wolves game?

We have the 2 hardest away games on paper coming up, with our biggest rivals at home in the middle. If we can get at least 3 points from the 2 away games and beat ‘them’ we will still be hanging in there. Any less and I think we may find ourselves even further behind.

It’s not worth looking at the playoffs just yet - let’s just get trough these next 10 days first![/quote]Or rather bang on target with around 20% of those games behind us.It is all no more than pointing out that we look more likely to win tomorrow than we might have done before Xmas, that''s all.