Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Best and Worst game you've ever seen?

Similar thread to the season thread I posted.

What is the most fondly remembered game in Norwich''s history for you personally and which was the worst?

I''ve not been to many games, so most of mine come from the TV, or my experience of following a game via reports.

Most exciting games for me include away at Anfield in 11/12 as I was actually there and Grant Holt''s goal was an amazing experience (though I enjoyed Russ'' goal a few years later (was there again)

I personally enjoyed beating Man Utd when Dean and Leon scored - watched that in a Man Utd supporting pub with my two Man Utd supporting house-mates, being the only one cheering the goals was great, if a little risky!

Could pick so many games, and Im sure I''ve missed better examples out.

Id also give a shout out to the Youth Team run having watched most of that on Sky and willing them to go all the way.

Worst game for me is easy. Im sure many of you will mention the 7-1 defeat to Colchester, but the stand out heartbreaker for me was the Fulham debacle in 05. Watched that in the same Man Utd supporting pub. Remember feeling so dejected. Remember having the hope that despite things not going our way on the pitch other results were still going our way until that Geoff Horsfield goal

Football alone it would be hard to pickFor sheer ''disappointment'' (and lack of effort) Fulham away on the last game 2005There are too many variables for best6 past a crap Scunthorpe or the fighting defeat at Arsenal in 2017 League Cup  ?

‘Fiiiive-one to Norwich City, at Portman Road’

Only watched on the beam back, but what a night to be a Norwich fan. As for games I have been to, it has to be Wembley or Portsmouth away.

As for worst, I will exclude Colchester on the basis of how important it was in the overall season. That leaves 2 stand outs...

Swansea away under Lambert. 2-0 down after 10minutes after an 8hour or so coach trip, leaving at 8 in the morning and not getting back until about 4 the next morning. Or Middlesbrough at home under Neil...early goal, game killed, Bamford injured every 30 seconds, a Ref with zero control over the game. One of the worst adverts for football I have ever seen

Best game has to be my first. Boxing day 1986. Walking up those mountainous concrete stairs at the back of the old South Stand for the first time with my dad and Grandad (the only game I ever went to with him as he passed away shortly after), sitting 10 rows back on those rickety blue and red plastic seats on the half way line with a great view of the pitch. We beat Forest 2-1 that day and I knew I had caught the Norwich City bug.The worst game I ever attended was the 2nd round of the League cup in August 2011 against Milton Keynes. A 0-4 debacle against a lower league side. I remeber storming out after 70 minutes when they had just scored the fourth. Hurrying down the steps in the lower Barcly hurling abuse at the players who had so woefully under performed that evening.Incidently, much like with my best a worst seasons, Chase was Chairman in 1986 and Delia held the reigns in 2011. I don''t know about you, but I''m starting to sense a pattern here. Maybe I''ll change my mind if Delia buys me a beer?

Worst is Charlton away, the day we got relegated to League 1. I''d have said Colchester, but that game was so bad you just had to laugh by the end of it. Charlton was just simply painful.

Best would probably be Portsmouth away, when we clinched promotion back to the Premier - though i was a nervous wreck for the last 20 minutes or so. Thank god for Zak Whitbread.

Depends what you mean by worst?....worst norwich display or worst spectable.

A midweek game at home to Sheffield utd circa 1997/98 which ended 0-0 and absolutely nothing happened for 90 mins and neither side literally had no chances in the whole game as always stuck in my mind for when questions such as this come along....

Best game I have seen was when we beat Reading 2-1 with that stoppage time winner from Holty - when McNally threw the ball to Lambert and then the ball came back in play for GH to get the winner. I was sat in the South Stand and I can still picture that ball coming across goal and Holt latching on to it and the euphoria after that went in, first time I ever hugged a random stranger at a football game.

Too many contenders for worst game - I would say Colchester 7-1 but that day still seems surreal to me, I read a great write-up once about that game from a Norwich fan who perfectly summed up the shock felt throughout the city into that summer evening after that result, was a crazy game and day. But I''m gonna go for a 1-0 defeat to Luton in 1996 - p*ssing down with rain/sleet, freezing cold, dire game, Megson had just returned and a Norwich team with so much quality but completely bereft of confidence and slipping down the table.

BTW GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary, think that game may have been 95-96 - the only reason I say that is because the home match vs Sheff Utd didn''t even make it onto the end of season video!

No mention of the Derby game yet? I suppose that was more about one moment than the whole game, funny how I forget Jackson’s other goals and the fact he got another hat trick.

Best, most enjoyable game for me has to be Colchester away. Rainy day, horrible pitch but absolutely ripped them apart in front of their record attendance. Lambert playing pantomime villain was fun, atmosphere in the away end fantastic and Oli Johnson lighting up his short but very memorable city career. Actually met a very nice Colchester fan before the game who showed the way to the weston homes community stadium (the middle of nowhere) and bumped into him after the game, was very gracious and wished us well for the rest of the season.

Worst games I’ve mostly blocked from memory, Would say Colchester at home but that was the catalyst for all the good to come so have fond memories of it now.

Most annoyed I’ve been was travelling to Blackpool during the relegation to league 1 season, finding out the players hadn’t bothered to turn up, the away stand didn’t have a roof (or an actual stand) to shelter us from the rain, we meekly lose 2-0 and leave me with a long journey home wondering why I’d bothered.

Best is either the first leg of the play-off semi v Wolves or the second leg against Ipswich in the most recent play-offs.

Chanting ''You''re not singing any more'' at those smug Wolves pricks was a delight. The 3-1 win over Ipswich was just such a relief- the idea of missing out on promotion to those fucks would have been awful.

Worst- the Colchester of Fulham games are pretty obvious choices, although the Charlton cup game that saw Roeder sacked was woeful, especially as I was in America for most of that season yet got to both the original and the replay.

Losing 4-5 to Liverpool at Carrow Rd in 15/16 offered the best and the worst in one game. (It was heaven and hell in 90 minutes, losing by a 96th minute goal amindst the jeers of Liverpool fans by after scoring some brilliant goals (Mbokani''s backheeler, Bassong''s long range equaliser) was sickening, especially after being 3-1 up. In terms of attacking it was one of the best, defensively the worst.

Other than that: some of the games in this season (Milwall and Burton away) are worthy candidates for the worst in terms of playing farcically bad football,

while my personal favourites include beating Man City away on the final matchday of 2013, and Alex Neil''s debut game vs Bournemouth, besides the playoff final and some Ipswich beatings.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]Best game I have seen was when we beat Reading 2-1 with that stoppage time winner from Holty - when McNally threw the ball to Lambert and then the ball came back in play for GH to get the winner. I was sat in the South Stand and I can still picture that ball coming across goal and Holt latching on to it and the euphoria after that went in, first time I ever hugged a random stranger at a football game.

Too many contenders for worst game - I would say

Colchester 7-1 but that day still seems surreal to me, I read a great write-up once about that game from a Norwich fan who perfectly summed up the shock felt throughout the city into that summer evening after that result, was a crazy game and day. But I''m gonna go for a 1-0 defeat to Luton in 1996 - p*ssing down with rain/sleet, freezing cold, dire game, Megson had just returned and a Norwich team with so much quality but completely bereft of confidence and slipping down the table.

BTW GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary, think that game may have been 95-96 - the only reason I say that is because the home match vs Sheff Utd didn''t even make it onto the end of season video![/quote]

Indeed it was 95/96 having noe done a little research February 1996....odd how a forgettable game should be memorable for that reason!

The best game of football I ever saw Norwich involved in was v Man U in the seventies at Carrow Road. It was a fabulously entertaining match under floodlights ending 1-1. Both sides at that time played v entertaining football.

Similarly a friendly midweek international between England and Brazil ending 1-1 also was a thoroughly entertaining match with the Brazilians turning it on with some brilliant skills.

The worst for me as a Suffolk boy and living v close to Binnerland was the 5-0 defeat to the enemy. It was awful and I had the added pain of standing in the front row of the away section and being able to see the goading binners too closely.

The following game at their patch saw us beat them 1-0 with a goal from Bellamy that probably caused me as much joy in beating them as any game due to the previous defeat.

Norwich v Liverpool 3-5 loss was the best game of football I have ever seen live. Yes derby wins are brilliant, and obviously hugely enjoyable, but even though we lost that Liverpool game it was just fantastic, with Justin Fashanu''s goal of the season - I was only 15 when I watched that one, but it still sticks in my mind! Anybody else on here think it was the best game they have ever seen?

Worst game is tougher - losing to Luton in the Cup at Carrow Road, was pretty bad - struggled to stay awake - so boring, but that 1-7 Colchester game must be the worst!

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]Best game I have seen was when we beat Reading 2-1 with that stoppage time winner from Holty - when McNally threw the ball to Lambert and then the ball came back in play for GH to get the winner. I was sat in the South Stand and I can still picture that ball coming across goal and Holt latching on to it and the euphoria after that went in, first time I ever hugged a random stranger at a football game.

Too many contenders for worst game - I would say Colchester 7-1 but that day still seems surreal to me, I read a great write-up once about that game from a Norwich fan who perfectly summed up the shock felt throughout the city into that summer evening after that result, was a crazy game and day. But I''m gonna go for a 1-0 defeat to Luton in 1996 - p*ssing down with rain/sleet, freezing cold, dire game, Megson had just returned and a Norwich team with so much quality but completely bereft of confidence and slipping down the table.

BTW GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary, think that game may have been 95-96 - the only reason I say that is because the home match vs Sheff Utd didn''t even make it onto the end of season video![/quote]

I''m guessing it wasn''t this Sheff Utd game?!

https://youtu.be/k7Z1WqgaWAI

Best --Away to Watford the first promotion to the top flight where we clinched the title  or The away match at Bayern MunchenWorst --- Away to Charlton where we were relegated to Division 1 :-(           or the Cup semi loss to Everton

Best - 2-2, vs. Ipswich in 2007. Went 2-0 down by half time, Jamie Cureton equalised in the second-half and it felt like the Barclay was about to fall down. Also a huge, lumbering, John Hartson came on as sub.Worst - The infamous FA Cup debacle at Preston a couple of years ago with San Miquel.Apples

Best - Man United away when Cam & Tettey scored and we won 2-1, what a day out that was.

Worst - Losing 3-0 to Sunderland in our relegation season was just god awful, had we won that game I feel we would have stayed up and we were shocking that day, no fight, no commitment, no determination nothing. The players just looked like they didn''t care and didn''t want it as much as Sunderland.

Worst game I''ve ever seen was away at Preston - believe it was the Roeder era with Chris Brown up front, Mark Fotheringham in midfield.

I still have nightmares.

Hideous, Brighton away in ''81 quarter final of the FA Cup.Stuck in the away end, no roof and it far ken bucketed down.We lost and the car was like a tropical forest as three of us sat soaked through on the way home.Mind you the biggest shock was that the old rust bucket made the journey (the car not me).

So many to choose from, but how I''m feeling right now...

Best - The 4-1 win at home to Ipswich under Lambert in 2010. They were supposed to be going onto big things under Keane whereas we''d just been promoted from League One. But we thumped ''em! A Holt hat-trick and a lovely chip from Hoolahan made for a perfect day. Atmosphere electric, as you might imagine.

Worst - A 3-2 home loss to Forest in 2008 under Roeder comes to mind. They were a relegation rival, so it was important in that respect, but we just never turned up. Both our goals were OG''s and I remember thinking during the game that relegation looked very likely. It was so bad I left early (I never leave early!) and missed the last two goals - there was just a feeling of dejection and inevitability throughout the whole miserable performance.

The Colchester game just felt numbing and bizarre like nothing before or since.

Best - home to Crystal Palace, Dave Sringer last minute goal

Worst - Fulham away, relegation, half the team couldn’t be bothered

strangely, the best was tim shephards testimonial. i always knew deep down what following a football team should be like but Celtic gave one hell of a lesson! 5000 plus, for a meaningless midweek game and the full range of songs nonstop for 90plus mins. what a shame that they cant one day play in the PL. oh, and henrik larsson wasnt half bad!

worst? well being a City fan there are always some cobtenders. id go with getting ripped apart at the city ground. 4-0 from memory.....no effort from the players and even worse in the away end. totally numb. add in david fekking johnson and an all round shi-ite day

Hard to pinpoint and overall best game. Simeon Jacksons winner against Derby will stick with me forever. Don''t think I''ve felt that feeling at a match before and the guy next to me hugged me. Incidentally a guy hugged me when we were away at Luton and Lappin scored a freekick in the 93rd minute - my first away win after 22 away games seeing us draw 2.

Another for me was Newcastle 3-2 when Klose scored as I had him to score first and win 3-2 winning me £600 in the final minute.

Worst game for me could possibly be Blackburn away when we lost 4-0 in Worthingtons prem season. We were absolutely useless, it tipped down with rain and it was freezing.

I remember that Blackburn game... so miserable in every conceivable way! Green had a bit of a nightmare too as I recall!? Utterly depressing. The only positive from the day is that the pies were top notch. Think I missed the start of the second half to eat a second one - must''ve been comfort eating!

Funny how it''s not always the obvious games that stick in your memory, good or bad. Guess its how you are affected personally as well as the game.

Best - the one one at home to Bayern - Goss scored right in front of me at the Barclay - brilliant moment and fantastic to knock them out.

Worst - One nil loss to Wimbledon somewhere in the 90''s. Took my nephew for his first game. It was perishing and the game was awful. They had one shot on target and scored and spent the rest of the game lumping into the corners. He never came again!

The worst I''ve felt about losing a game was the FA Cup semi-final against Sunderland in ''92. The following week I booked a holiday in Portugal to avoid watching the final.The best is very hard to choose but the the 2nd leg win against 1p5wich in the Milk Cup at Carrow Rd would be one of them.