Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Derby match thread

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Capt. Pants"]Decent point against a Derby who might just cling on to auto promotion. We don''t actually know if NO''s miss cost us th points as the 2nd half could have been different having gone in all square.''As you were'' really and all to play for against the scum, who were shocking today.[/quote]In front of their lowest crowd in 20 years too.There''ll probably be a bit claustrophobic in eight days time [:D][/quote]

One attempt on target - in the 85th minute.

[quote user="paul moy"]Nelson must not take any more penalties.   Too costly !!![/quote]

Are you stupid? Everyone going mental because the obvious route to getting our striker back on the goal trail, and hopefully confidence (as he sure as hell won’t receive any from a section of our ‘supporter’ base) is understandably to give him the penalty. It didn’t work out, but that’s not the point - the obvious reason for why Nelson was given it was not rocket science and the correct decision at the time as far as I’m concerned. I’m disappointed that he’s struggling as a lone striker, but I sure as hell won’t join the imbecile earlier who called OUR player a ‘c**t’. Embarrassing!

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="paul moy"]Nelson must not take any more penalties.   Too costly !!![/quote]

Are you stupid? Everyone going mental because the obvious route to getting our striker back on the goal trail, and hopefully confidence (as he sure as hell won’t receive any from a section of our ‘supporter’ base) is understandably to give him the penalty. It didn’t work out, but that’s not the point - the obvious reason for why Nelson was given it was not rocket science and the correct decision at the time as far as I’m concerned. I’m disappointed that he’s struggling as a lone striker, but I sure as hell won’t join the imbecile earlier who called OUR player a ‘c**t’. Embarrassing![/quote]

Nelson needs game time and a lucky break to release the flood doors and get his confidence back up. And the way some of our fans treat him is utterly inexcusable.

However, I do wonder if he should be kept away from penalties. I’m curious as to his overall conversion rate.

During the Chelsea shootout, he completely eyed down the side of the net he was aiming for. Not even looking like he was trying to hide it. I haven’t seen today’s save but I wouldn’t be suprised if a similar situation happened again given how comfortably the goaly apparently saved it.

I''m pretty sure I saw Cam J speaking to Carson, briefing him no doubt on the side NO would go for. That''s presumably why Carson at first stood well over to his right before moving a bit more central.  

I was at the match today, and saw a couple of replays of the missed penalty at half time. Carson stood to the right of his goal, moved to the middle when Nelson started his runup had then dived right. The ref should have clearly ordered a retake but since it was controversial giving it in the first place (I couldn''t see - was it a pen?) he didn''t appear to have the necessary balls. My Derby supporting mate who was next to me said it should be retaken before I did.

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="paul moy"]Nelson must not take any more penalties.   Too costly !!![/quote]

Are you stupid? Everyone going mental because the obvious route to getting our striker back on the goal trail, and hopefully confidence (as he sure as hell won’t receive any from a section of our ‘supporter’ base) is understandably to give him the penalty. It didn’t work out, but that’s not the point - the obvious reason for why Nelson was given it was not rocket science and the correct decision at the time as far as I’m concerned. I’m disappointed that he’s struggling as a lone striker, but I sure as hell won’t join the imbecile earlier who called OUR player a ‘c**t’. Embarrassing![/quote]So how many more do you let him miss until you''d change it ?  Surely two consecutive is enough.  

Maddison is more deadly from 30 yards than NO is from 10. Surely it''s a no brainer who takes penalties.

As for letting NO take it "so that he could get his confidence back" then that''s just crazy. Surely the place to practice and to get your confidence back is on the training ground, not at a crucial momemt in an important game.

And what has that, plus the fact that he was relieved of his duties for the second one, done for his confidence now.

Probably not a lot.

Pesonally wouldn''t let him near a spot kick for the rest of the season.

The thing is Paul, to the best of my knowledge, he’d not missed two in row for us within a couple of week. You’re talking with hindsight. He’d missed ONE. So to get him back on track, and hopefully build confidence for the rest of the season, the sensible choice was to give him a golden opportunity, an opportunity that incidentally never comes with guarantees. Any manager or coach worth his salt would understand this. The fact Cameron Jerome appears to have given Scott Carson a heads up doesn’t help matters, but it’s 50/50 regardless. Don’t get me wrong - I can understand the disappointment in him missing, but what I don’t understand is why some appear to queuing up week in week out to have a pop at him - he’s one of our own for gods sake!

[quote user="Making Plans"]Maddison is more deadly from 30 yards than NO is from 10. Surely it''s a no brainer who takes penalties.

As for letting NO take it "so that he could get his confidence back" then that''s just crazy. Surely the place to practice and to get your confidence back is on the training ground, not at a crucial momemt in an important game.

And what has that, plus the fact that he was relieved of his duties for the second one, done for his confidence now.

Probably not a lot.

Pesonally wouldn''t let him near a spot kick for the rest of the season.[/quote]

Did I seriously just read you suggest that surely the best place for Nelson Oliveira to get his confidence back is by letting him take a penalty on the training ground???

God give me strength 😂😂😂

Almost as ludicrous as your claim that penalties are "50-50". The conversion rate globally is probably over 9/10. Not even close to 50-50

For the record, in his enire career, NO has taken just 8 penalties, including 3 for us. That would suggest that he has never been a regular or first choice penalty taker at his previous clubsOut of that 8 he has scored 6 and missed 2.For us he has scored 3 and missed 2.

[quote user="kick it off"]Almost as ludicrous as your claim that penalties are "50-50". The conversion rate globally is probably over 9/10. Not even close to 50-50[/quote]

My point was that penalties are a lottery - which they are 👍

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="kick it off"]Almost as ludicrous as your claim that penalties are "50-50". The conversion rate globally is probably over 9/10. Not even close to 50-50[/quote]

My point was that penalties are a lottery - which they are 👍[/quote]

go run a lottery with 90% hit rate ;)

Curtis Davies tweeted this out. Think that''s a pretty big compliment that the team second in the table admit they just didn''t have an answer for us today.
Tough game today. Couldn’t get to grips with Norwich’s system and particularly Maddison. Done well to come away with a point in the end. saved us once, was a big ask for him to do it twice

[quote user="mastoola"][quote user="Alex "][quote user="kick it off"]Almost as ludicrous as your claim that penalties are "50-50". The conversion rate globally is probably over 9/10. Not even close to 50-50[/quote]

My point was that penalties are a lottery - which they are 👍[/quote]

go run a lottery with 90% hit rate ;)[/quote]

Haha Mastoola, despite the claims from KIO, 90% success rate is a load of bollock5 though isn’t it? Where did those figures come from? Statistically, at the World Cup for instance, the penalty conversion rate over the years is approx 70%. And there’s no way 9 out of 10 are converted in the league either!

[quote user="Alex "]Haha Mastoola, despite the claims from KIO, 90% success rate is a load of bollock5 though isn’t it? Where did those figures come from? Statistically, at the World Cup for instance, the penalty conversion rate over the years is approx 70%. And there’s no way 9 out of 10 are converted in the league either![/quote]
It was a guess. 
The world cup is a bit of a misnomer as I presume that includes penalty shootouts?
The best stat I could find in my half arsed effort to google was the total Premier League penalties from 1992 to presnt (correct as of Feb 5th 2018)
The sample size is 1,994 penalties awarded.
83.65% were scored (1,668 penalties)
4.01% were missed (as in wide) (80 penalties)
12.34% were saved. (246 penalties)
So not quite 9/10, but 8/10 penalties are scored, and only 1.2/10 are saved.

In addition to that, Transfermarkt states that so far this season in the Championship, 66 penalties have been given and 83% of those have been scored.
So it would seem that in the league, around 83% is the general conversion rate.
Again, not quite 9/10, but significantly better than 50-50