Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Wes Hoolahan

He was probably unfortunate that he did not get more caps when younger but he is nearly 36 and it is probably sensible and probably complete retirement cannot be too far away

Wes will be sorely missed in the Ireland set up. Martin ONeills dour style led to Wes being a bit part player under him. one of the most gifted real Irish players in recent years. I hope this means we can get another season out of him at City. He may be nearly 36 but what a cute little player to have when guile and skill is needed.

A combo of O''Neil and Trappatoni wasted his best years.

Randomly he''s managing Ireland on my Football Manager saved in 2024...

I can''t see Norwich offering a new contract to be honest, increasingly a peripheral figure (he was fit but left off the bench against Boro) and it is a good opportunity for Norwich to give him a testimonial in the summer and wave him off on his way as a Norwich legend.

Was surprised by his international retirement, as I felt he might just retire in the summer altogether and this seems to suggest he might want to continue for another season at least.

43 caps for his country seems way to few. His City career also seems to be moving to its end game slowly, but with 10 years and over 300 games in yellow and green, we have seen Wes at his best. For me will walk into nearly all fans top NCFC XI team for the last 50 years.One word is enough to describe Wessi...class.

Massively underrated and under used in his younger years, but like a fine wine has got better with age. Sensible to step aside considering he''ll be 38 at the next tournament, and also best to help prolong his playing career with some extra rests. I do fear Norwich will not renew his contract this season, which will be a massive shame, especially if we lose Madison in the summer

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]This is a good read about our beloved Wes

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/wes-hoolahan-retires-republic-of-ireland-international-euro-2016-a8200471.html[/quote]From Jimmy Hill to Bryceland to Crook to Hoolahan to...?There is also an angry piece in the Irish Times:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/wes-hoolahan-was-ireland-s-criminally-underused-rare-talent-1.3384696

[quote user="AJ"]Massively underrated and under used in his younger years, but like a fine wine has got better with age. Sensible to step aside considering he''ll be 38 at the next tournament, and also best to help prolong his playing career with some extra rests. I do fear Norwich will not renew his contract this season, which will be a massive shame, especially if we lose Madison in the summer[/quote]It''s a fair point - Pritchard has left, Maddison will almost certainly leave in the summer... if Wes is still fit and available, why not keep him on as a squad player for one more year? As long as his legs don''t go, his brain is still as fast as it ever was. I see no harm in keeping him here, he''ll only have a positive effect on the younger players.

Yes, it may be a good idea to have Wes around, but I wonder what Wes wants? I imagine he could get a decent contract for a year or two in the MLS (for example) and play regularly. If that is what suits then I would expect him to prolong his career there. That said he may be happy to see out another year here as a ''bench warmer''. I guess the decision is his and whatever that decision is I''m sure most of us wish him well.

At the risk of pouring cold ater on Wes'' announcement I thought it would be time that I announce that I too am retiring from international football. At the age of 40 I no longer feel I would be able to contibute anything positive to the 3 lions.You heard it here 1st!!!

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]At the risk of pouring cold ater on Wes'' announcement I thought it would be time that I announce that I too am retiring from international football. At the age of 40 I no longer feel I would be able to contibute anything positive to the 3 lions.You heard it here 1st!!!

[/quote]*water

IBT,

I remember where I was when JFK was shot, etc. etc, etc. But this news, FFS, I can''t take it in! Enjoy your retirement, football pundit or running a pub?

Cheers

Ray

The biggest issue here is that Watkins is getting on the bench ahead of an allegedly fully fit Wes?

[quote user="Ray"]IBT,

I remember where I was when JFK was shot, etc. etc, etc. But this news, FFS, I can''t take it in! Enjoy your retirement, football pundit or running a pub?

Cheers

Ray[/quote]I''m thinking newsagents.

A factor that would have contibuted to Wes not being in the squad for the middlesbro game is that he isn''t ''homegrown''. Essentially, he is now battling it out for one of the 11 places that can be given for non homegrown players. The 7 ''home'' players virtually pick themselves as there are so few fit. Farke couldnt have swapped Watkins for Wes last week because we would then have been down to just six ''homegrown'' players in the matchday squad. Wes, when he comes in, will basically be replacing a ''foreign'' player in the squad. I still think Wes has another season in him at a top half championship side. Think there''ll be plenty of interst in the summer.

If I was Wes I''d do one of two things...

1) Look for the big payday somewhere nice abroad- MLS, Aussie League, Qatar even.

2) See if Celtic fancy him so he gets a chance to play a bit of European football before his career ends.

I think you might be right KC, Celtic would be a likely destination for Wes, though i hope he stays. He might even fancy a season or two at Irish Champions Cork City......he is a Dub though.

[quote user="Clint"]The biggest issue here is that Watkins is getting on the bench ahead of an allegedly fully fit Wes?[/quote]

That could be something to do with making sure we have our quota of ''homegrown'' players in the matchday squad, which Wes doesn''t count towards. I think we were bang on the minimum number for the Boro game.

Wes Hoolahan is my hero but as a younger player he was as wasteful as Josh Murphy, and constantly/annoyingly always lost the ball.

Negativity aside Wes, Grant and C.Martin - were my favourite NCFC attacking three.