Sign in to follow this  
Icecream Snow

"Two Games After Getting Fit He Wanted to Leave"

Had Pritchard stayed until the summer, putting in the same good performances then he would have had a wider choice of  Premier league teams to join, and a full season, at the minimum, to establish himself as a Premier League player.Poorly advised by his agent IMHO. The agent is more interested in what he can make at any given point and cares not a hoot about a players'' full career.

I''m not sure about that - I don''t think Pritchard is a top-10 player, but you''d have thought with a decent half-season under his belt he''d have had a ''better'' choice in the summer. But if sitting on the bench whilst bagging more cash is his thing, I suppose it has worked out ok, I''m just not so sure it''s going to do wonders for his longer-term career as he needs to be playing.

Folks are also being a tad premature on the idea Pritchard has gone to be a bench warmer. Huddersfield have just played Liverpool and Man U where they are naturally going to set up more defensively. If he''s still sitting on the bench against Bournemouth, West Brom and Swansea then you might be right.

[quote user="Herman"][quote user="cornish sam"]Let me get this straight. People are giving the guy (and club) sh1t for having sold him in the summer, so in an interview he tells us why we sold him, so (the same) people give him sh1t for being unprofessional?

What do you actually want from him or the club?[/quote][:D] Every bloody time isn''t it? If something paints the club in a good light/being right it''s a lie/fake news/club spin and and vice versa.[/quote]Some folk complain when a player is sold, then complain again when they''re told the reason why. Seems theyre only happy when miserable.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I''m not sure about that - I don''t think Pritchard is a top-10 player, but you''d have thought with a decent half-season under his belt he''d have had a ''better'' choice in the summer. But if sitting on the bench whilst bagging more cash is his thing, I suppose it has worked out ok, I''m just not so sure it''s going to do wonders for his longer-term career as he needs to be playing.[/quote]This is so true, and for me is a reason that Maddison may stay with us for another season, apart from the fact that the club appear to be keen to sell at the right price.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]‘Wanted to leave’ is far too ambiguous. It means little without context.

Did Huddersfield put the bid in, we informed Pritchard, and he decided it was something he wanted to look at?

Or did he just go marching into Webbers office and tell him he wanted to leave?

2 different scenarios, but in both cases it could be said he ‘wanted to leave’, but one makes Pritchard look a lot worse and worthy of criticism. In the first scenario, I’m sure we would all consider leaving our jobs for another if we were offered more money?[/quote]Norwich would be the last to know about another clubs interest. The agent would have contacted clubs directly or let it be known that his client was looking for a move. Webber said the agent told him he was looking for a move, followed by Pritchard himself. Based on the comments, it was mid-December, probably after the Leeds game on the 16th. Bearing in mind the club had been paying his wages since August whilst injured, it arguably rankled Webber.I don''t understand why anyone would think he wouldn''t be sprinting out of the door. Once Spurs wanted him to leave, it was about the agent finding him the best deal, at the highest level possible. At the time only Brighton and Norwich were seriously interested, and he seemed to develop an awful relationship with Alex Neil, which improved under Alan Irvine. If it wasn''t for the pre-season injury, he may have been pushing for an August move.When fans come out with "We should have kept him", they fail to understand that the guy has a mind of his own.

[quote user="king canary"]I like Webber but I''m not a fan of him airing this sort of thing in public.

This is the second player he''s dug out after they''ve left and it just makes him look a bit petty.[/quote]

Can understand this, but personally I appreciate the honesty. He will be accused by some fans of not having the ambition to keep hold of him and wanting to cash in, whilst in the void of information, fans might imagine Pritchard may have wanted to stay and Webber wanted him out for the cash.

Making it clear that the player wanted out insulates him from such criticism. It would be unfair to demonize Webber for selling him and canonize Pritchard under such circumstances.

Fans are generally fairly accepting of players leaving when they make it clear they dont want to be here. More likely then to back the club and congratualte them for the fee acquired

[quote user="king canary"]If anyone doesn''t think there is a fair amount of spin going on from Webber here then I''ve got a bridge to sell you.

There is also a bit of contradiction is some of his statements of late. In the video interviews he says we had to sell Pritchard to make up for previous mistakes, yet in the Pinkun article he states we didn''t have to sell him. Then later on in the same article he says selling Pritchard meant we would be able to reject any other bids for players- but I thought we didn''t have to sell Pritchard?

I appreciated honesty and transparency from the club but it doesn''t mean I have to accept everything they put out as gospel.[/quote]Sorry but I see absolutely no contradiction in the statements you''re referring to. Webber has been entirely consistent whenever he’s spoken on the issue, saying (1) because of "past mistakes" the club is having to go through a big financial adjustment requiring, among other things, players being sold, but (2) which players in particular are sold and when exactly they''re sold, depends on all manner of different factors (Pritchard''s sale in January being a case in point); (3) prior to the January transfer window, the process of financial adjustment had reached a stage such that, as said previously, there was no essential need for further player sales until at least the summer and (4) while, in the event both Jerome and Pritchard have been sold, neither sale was financially necessary; both, on the other hand, were opportune for a number of reasons. 

I was going to post something very similar WCC (although probably not as well put). Life is about shades of grey, things aren''t black and white. We might not HAVE to sell a player, but situations may arise that make it the best thing to do.

OT slightly, but if we did miraculously make it through the playoffs while Huddersfield go down, the schadenfreude would be delicious.