Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

we now look a very good side

Well I will admit I got it wrong with farke he had built from the back and made us a very difficult side to beat albeit still short on goals. Its a pity we didn''t have a few more points in the bag as I think it is just too much to ask getting to the playoffs now we would need two points a game possible but very very hard. I have some cautious optimism for next season but thinks its vital to keep tettey klosse and maddison. If we have a good start gamble and keep them if we are off the pace at the halfway mark then fair enough maddison may be off. The importance of Gunn to this side cannot be underplayed either. Glad I renewed

Farke and Webber have proven so far they can build a squad that can compete for promotion as we’re seeing some quality performances and steadily on a more consistent basis.

I’m sure they have a plan for the probable departure of Maddison. Leitner, we’ll see. Exciting times ahead.

We''very gone down the route of being a hard to beat side ... bolstered by the decision to go 3 at the back.....but our inability to score more than one goal in a game would still hamper any desires of pushing at the top end.

I don''t know whether that is down to personnel or system

Maddison is the big unknown and 20% will go back to Coventry. Leitner is different. He may fancy a fresh start and he cost his current side £1.35m last year so is easily within our scope if wages are not too high. If it is a good and happy loan I can see him signing there will be no shortage of Germans to be mates with

We are a good championship side, top ten cert but not good enough to be in top two.Derby were nothing special but have a good chance to play prem football next season.

Leitner wasn''t here a few games ago and nobody had heard of him. Instead we were all worried how we would cope without Pritchard.

How things change so quickly.

For all the carp Webber gets I''m very impressed with our recruitment. Who''s to say there aren''t more Leitneers, Zimmermanns and Trybulls out there? Personally I think Leitner will be looking to stay for a bit as his career has stalled recently and he could do with a season getting it back on track

Can''t help but wonder what might''ve been if we hadn''t gone so hard at Arsenal in the Cup and instead picked up a couple of wins in that terrible run that followed.

And my main worrying for next season is us finding a suitable replacement for Gunn, who has been sensational.

We are now starting to see things come together. I said a few weeks ago that we need to keep faith with this plan and stop the knee jerk reactions after every bad result. It''s going to take time but we are going in the right direction. If we can keep hold of Leitner in the summer then that could be critical in terms of cracking the top 2 next season but we badly need to add some firepower in the summer.

In agreement with the OP and most of the above, it seem to look better, scoring, teamgeist and all, scoring and possibly retaining players being the biggest concern. If Nelson could find his mojo (against Ipswich would be an ideal time) I''d fefinitely turn from Nancy Positive to Percy Negative.

Who would have thought that things needed time before we saw something to get excited about?!!!

If we aren''t selling the club to a foreign billionaire then THIS is the way forward ... we couldn''t be in a helathier place at this stage.

It is genuinely fascinating watching this revolution and I''m proud to be a canary.

Again, I kind of feel that people need to keep their feet on the ground.

And im not being pessimistic. I said from the start that the amount of changes is going to take time for things to settle and if anything it looks like things are starting to come together sooner rather than later.

But we shouldnt jump the gun. Thats what the likes of Lincoln did 4 games into the season, writing off all our signings and calling Webber a fraud.

Id hate for other people to look so stupid.

Enjoy the rest of the season although I expect some inconsistency from us to prevent us reaching the playoffs and that would be understandable. But its football and who knows.

We do but the big concern is what happens without Maddison.

We''ve scored 9 goals since boxing day and he''s either scored or assisted 6 of them. We need others to step up on this front.

presuming that Olivieras goal drought has to end at some point then he would be the obvious one for goal contribution.

As for assists you have to remember Maddison is playing in the position most likely to get them. Wes, for example, has created more chances per 90 minutes than Maddison and we have other players who could do a job there.

Of course, Maddison is a little exceptional right now so im not saying anyone coming in would do as good as him!

[quote user="hogesar"].......

But we shouldnt jump the gun. Thats what the likes of Lincoln did 4 games into the season, writing off all our signings and calling Webber a fraud.

Id hate for other people to look so stupid...... [/quote]Aw, cut him a bit of slack.......with us doing so well and the Royals in freefall he''s in a bad place right now [:D]

@hoegsar

Yes, you''d think Nelson and hopefully Josh/Leitner may step up in goalscoring. I''m also intrigued to see what Hernandez brings.

However Maddison has created basically double the chances of any other player for us this season. We still don''t score very much and Maddison is obviously going to be a huge hole to fill next season. I''d like to think next season our attack may become a bit more diverse and spread the work load around though.

How many times in his career has NO scored double figures a season? He''s not a natural scorer. In a formation/system like this you need someone who is either going to put away a high proportion of chances, even if they don''t offer much else (think Earnshaw) or someone who is going to create chances, bring others into play, chase things down and be a bit of a dynamic force who can make something happen in the final third on their own (think Holt).

I''m not sure NO does either well enough (although I''m not sure Srbeny will do either - I don''t know enough about him; goals per game record is better than NO''s but can he cut it at this level?)

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]And my main worrying for next season is us finding a suitable replacement for Gunn, who has been sensational.[/quote]

Obviously I hope Gunn stays because he''s amazing and is one of the best English keepers about already, but if we are unable to keep him I genuinely believe Remi Matthews is good enough to be our regular keeper. From what I''ve seen of him in Plymouth highlights he''s been sensational.

If Gunn doesn''t stay then I think we have to pull the trigger on Matthews. We messed around with Rudd and never gave him a real shot, can''t afford that with Remi.

It''s encouraging to think him and Godfrey will hopefully be able to fill the holes left by Gunn and Reed without having to spend a bunch of money.

[quote user="hogesar"]I said from the start that the amount of changes is going to take time for things to settle and if anything it looks like things are starting to come together sooner rather than later.

But we shouldnt jump the gun. Thats what the likes of Lincoln did 4 games into the season, writing off all our signings and calling Webber a fraud.[/quote]There were lots of people writing off Webber and Farke around November time. Cheap League Two standard signings and an "out of his depth" reserve team manager playing poor Hughton-style football were going to relegate us if I remember correctly.One or two doomsters seem to be taking an extended break from posting. Perhaps we should have some sort of amnesty and welcome these poor souls back?Going back a bit further, plenty criticised buying young hotshots as a waste of money after Hughton''s departure. It''s only now starting to really bear fruit, with Maddison worth a lot more than the entire outlay.

[quote user="hogesar"]Again, I kind of feel that people need to keep their feet on the ground.

And im not being pessimistic. I said from the start that the amount of changes is going to take time for things to settle and if anything it looks like things are starting to come together sooner rather than later.

Id hate for other people to look so stupid.

Enjoy the rest of the season although I expect some inconsistency from us to prevent us reaching the playoffs and that would be understandable. But its football and who knows.[/quote]

You can’t resist mentioning me can you!

I stand by everything I said in regard to the summer signings. With perhaps some humble pie in regard to Zimmerman, but then again he was one of the few I didn’t completely right off saying he’d have some good games but also a lot of poor games. So fair play, he’s been far more consistent than I predicted.

My main criticisms from memory were reserved for Vrancic, Husband, Franke and Steipermann.. and I stand by my belief that they are not consistently good enough for this league.

Lincoln, objectively, I''d say that the amount of unwanted attention you receive from others directly correlates to the amount of nonsense you post.

I get that Leitner looks like a player with a lot of potential, but am I the only one who noticed several really poor passes from him yesterday?!