Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Yellows Closed.

Now only to be open on match days. I am told Delia''s is heading the same way. Looks like the playing squad and wage bill is not the only area feeling the pinch as our finances take a turn down.

I find it staggering that you bother posting such transparent trolling.

1. Delia is famous for recipe books and television programmes, not running restaurants.

2. Do you have any idea of the failure rate in the restaurant business, even for those run by experienced "professionals"?

Wow, finances must be really tight if it can''t stay open other than match days, I imagine overheads and staff are quite expensive when it''s not busy, but you would think they make enough to off set this on a match day.

All a bit worrying.

[quote user="Mad Steve"]I find it staggering that a professional cook can''t make a restaurant work financially let alone run a football club[/quote]
She needs to open her eyes, this is a money game and she doesn''t have any. Time to sell up so we can progress as a club.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I find it staggering that you bother posting such transparent trolling.

1. Delia is famous for recipe books and television programmes, not running restaurants.

2. Do you have any idea of the failure rate in the restaurant business, even for those run by experienced "professionals"?[/quote]And if I was in Norwich I woudn''t want to traipse out to Carrow Road for a meal. I would eat in the city centre. I was actually surprised to find these places were not just open on match days.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]And if I was in Norwich I woudn''t want to traipse out to Carrow Road for a meal. I would eat in the city centre. I was actually surprised to find these places were not just open on match days.[/quote]That''s a fair point and most people would agree.Special celebration yes, otherwise no.

When eating out in the city I’ve been to yellows a few times. Ample car parking and decent enough food. Surprised by this

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Nuff Said"]I find it staggering that you bother posting such transparent trolling.

2. Do you have any idea of the failure rate in the restaurant business, even for those run by experienced "professionals"?[/quote]And if I was in Norwich I woudn''t want to traipse out to Carrow Road for a meal. I would eat in the city centre. I was actually surprised to find these places were not just open on match days.[/quote]I wouldn''t say location was the problem, coming from outside Norwich it''s a couple of minutes off the bypass, and it''s got free parking.It''s just that foodwise, it''s okay, but not great, and it''s a bit pricy for what it is. It lacks variety and decent specials. Even Bill''s does a better burger. Georgian Town House is better for family occasions as it''s got the garden and the playarea for kids.With the likes of the Fur and Feathers, Brick Kilns, Bergh Apton, and even the pub at Upton near Acle, there''s a lot of places I''d prefer to eat at before Yellows.

All the same. It does smack of cutting back rather than reinvesting.

It would be very surprising to me if Delias was to close. How could you not make a success of a restaurant associated so closely with one of the most popular cooks in the Country, especially with its location!

[quote user="king canary"]@Purple

By that logic most of Riverside wouldn''t be open.[/quote]Not sure that follows. I am talking about being in the city, for work or to shop and/or meet friends. In that case I would hardly go all the way down to Carrow Road when there are any number of restaurants right there in the centre.The Riverside complex has a cinema and clubs and restaurants and its own parking, so people can go there by car and spend hours in a small area, doing various things.

Sad for the staff but not surprised. Any other pub/restaurant would be looking at their footfall / income over a 7 day week rather than 3 hours on every other Saturday between August and May.

I thought Delia''s itself was doing ok though...

Can''t say I or anyone I know has ever gone out of their way to eat there aside of match days.

Yes and those people on riverside could also walk an extra few minutes to....Yellows.

There is also no shortage of housing near the ground, a hotel built into the ground and the main railway station all not far away.

So its hardly like its stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

I''m not really surprised by yellows the only day it is really busy is match days, there are much better burgers to be had all over the city I could name at least half a dozen off the top of my head, my father used to work in London and on a Friday would drive up to Norwich straight from work sometimes getting here after 8 and the first thing we''d do would be head down to riverside for food, numerous times everywhere would be packed so we''d head to yellows as a last resort as we knew we''d get a table.

As for Delias, maybe older generations still see her as a big deal but I find her food a bit home cooked and very dated compared to other places available in and around the city, I''ve eaten there a couple of times and never been blown away with the dining experience, I''m certainly not the only one if you use trip advisor, there are a few places on Benedict''s street that blow her food out of the water for about the same price so again no shock she''s cut back opening hours.

It''d probably be cheaper to go to London and have a really decent meal than endure three courses of the rubbish served up at Delia''s.

Current Delia''s menu - http://www.deliascanarycatering.co.uk/delias/seasonal-menu.aspx

£37.50 a head for 3 courses, coffee, nibble and petit fours. Similar price to somewhere like the Last Wine Bar or Bishop''s - both of which I''d prefer to go to, for the atmosphere as well as the food.

Indeed DDD. I''ve been fortunate to eat there a couple of times and it is spectacular - if you like that sort of thing. They recently received three rosettes from the AA which are only given to "outstanding restaurants achieving standards that demand national recognition well beyond their local area."

Lot of money to spend on a meal though, one fifth of a season ticket...

[quote user="king canary"]Yes and those people on riverside could also walk an extra few minutes to....Yellows.

There is also no shortage of housing near the ground, a hotel built into the ground and the main railway station all not far away.

So its hardly like its stuck out in the middle of nowhere
.[/quote]True it isn''t physically but psychologically it is. The area around the football ground has always traditionally been industrial. The few pubs that were there have all closed so in peoples perception Carrow Rd is even more out on a limb than it was before.In the case of the Holiday Inn those types of hotel are more often than not found on industrial estates anyway so this one is nearer to the city centre than most.

[quote user="Len"]It''d probably be cheaper to go to London and have a really decent meal than endure three courses of the rubbish served up at Delia''s.[/quote]I think that''s a bit unfair.On my few visits to Delia''s I''ve always found the food to be very good as has been the service. Not cheap but worth it for special occasions.

I don''t mind paying for top quality food on special occasions, love cooking myself so have always enjoyed eating food cooked by the best, did notice they are doing a set 3 course lunch at £20 a head which is great value for money.

If you ever head out in a group of 4-6 try b''nou just up the road, only a small little place and quite noisy so not ideal for couples but they run one sitting a night with no menus, instead they bring 9 savoury courses and a couple of sweet one after the other and you pick and choose what you like the look of, each dish about a fiver and normally shared between two, really enjoyable dining experience but book well in advance as I think they have a 3month weekend waiting list.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]I find her food a bit home cooked[/quote]Not saying much for ''er indoors. Wait till I see her. [:)]