Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

RVW in Champions League for Basel v Man City on Tuesday

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Big article in the Sunday Mail today about him, blames Houghton for playing him with an injury[/quote]

Just revised my Super Six prediction with this info - thank you.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Big article in the Sunday Mail today about him, blames Houghton for playing him with an injury[/quote]He actually says he decided to play on with an injection despite being injured. But it is at least a new excuse as to why he failed at Carrow Road. When he moved to France I don''t remember him mentioning this self-inflicted problem. It was other stuff, such as how we didn''t play good football, but of course with St-Etienne that had all  changed...Funny that he ended up as an unused sub at this footballing side, and funny that he scored even fewer in Spain, but then Spanish football doesn''t have a reputation for being overly skilful...

Even our own players thought he was garbage! Good luck to him but as he’s proven, he was never good enough to play in a top European league

He''s right though, our top scorers that season were Hooper and Snoddy who both only got 6 goals, from far more games. Elmander, Redmond and Wes only scored once each.

All of our forward players struggled massively that season, not just Ricky.

[quote user="king canary"]But I thought it was all Snodgrass'' fault?[/quote]Ha! He was part of it, for sure.  The biggest problem imo was the moving on of Grant Holt, leaving a gap in leadership. Bassong was chosen but unfortunately, he wasn''t strong enough a character to keep the likes of Snodgrass from trying to be the main man both on and off the pitch.  The divisiveness in the squad that season was apparent to most, I think - and RVW basically (imo) didn''t get the support he needed.  The penalty incident spoke volumes for the problems in the squad and Hughton didn''t have the space or time to sort it out in the kind of pressurised situation we were in at the time. All my opinion of course, but I genuinely hope RVW scores against Man City.....unlikely though!

In fairness to the lad, we created next to nothing that season on the whole and it''s entirely why we got relegated. Create no chances and you''ll score no goals. We could have had Messi or Ronaldo up front and suffered the same fate.

We scored just 28 goals that season, and conceded 62.

RVW played 27 games and scored once.

Hooper played 34 and scored 8

Snodgrass played 34 and scored 7

Elmander played 34 and scored 3

Hoolahan played 20 and scored 1

Redmond played 39 and scored 1

Becchio played 7 and scored 0

All awful, awful statistics

Messi and Ronaldo can make things happen out of nowhere and on their own, hence the reason they''re so valued and constantly getting awarded.RVW could not do that. I agree that we didn''t make many chances for him, but a top quality player should be able to take the game by the scruff of the neck and help carry their team through if struggling. Look at Ronaldo for Portugal in the Euro''s, for example. Nothing particularly special about that team but they managed to win the thing!

In fairness to the lad, he was awful. Probably unlucky to finish with a solitary goal as I remember a couple of absolute top draw saves against him but he offered so little the majority of the time it’s hard to argue that he was any better than bad.

Yet we all wanted him to do well so badly. His signing was a departure for us; a signing of commitment and intent but it went badly awry and was a big contributor to our ultimate demise.

I believe he was highlighted by MOTD in our opening draw with Everton when despite his goal he only touched the ball about 8 times (can’t remember the exact stat) and for 8m quid you have to expect a player to be more than peripheral. Despite that, he scored on his debut and as such hit the ground running but that was as good as it got. The ghost pass at Fulham will haunt me forever but I do seem to remember that against Tottenham he won a tackle by the touch line and knocked it to Snoddy who I think then scored. A glimpse of true ability or hitting a bullseye with your eyes shut? I’d be inclined to think the latter but even now I don’t particularly dislike the bloke.

It wasn’t his fault that we overpaid for him; there was a reason that bigger clubs didn’t take the gamble that we did despite having watched him. He’s also pulled up no trees since which suggests that he is every bit as bang average as his City record indicates. I’d still have a wry smile if he managed to bet against Man City but...

He was always a better option than Becchio though who was utterly garbage and appeared to be stealing a living. Yet the crowd clamoured for him...we’re a strange bunch.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]In fairness to the lad, he was awful. Probably unlucky to finish with a solitary goal as I remember a couple of absolute top draw saves against him but he offered so little the majority of the time it’s hard to argue that he was any better than bad.

Yet we all wanted him to do well so badly. His signing was a departure for us; a signing of commitment and intent but it went badly awry and was a big contributor to our ultimate demise.

I believe he was highlighted by MOTD in our opening draw with Everton when despite his goal he only touched the ball about 8 times (can’t remember the exact stat) and for 8m quid you have to expect a player to be more than peripheral. Despite that, he scored on his debut and as such hit the ground running but that was as good as it got. The ghost pass at Fulham will haunt me forever but I do seem to remember that against Tottenham he won a tackle by the touch line and knocked it to Snoddy who I think then scored. A glimpse of true ability or hitting a bullseye with your eyes shut? I’d be inclined to think the latter but even now I don’t particularly dislike the bloke.

It wasn’t his fault that we overpaid for him; there was a reason that bigger clubs didn’t take the gamble that we did despite having watched him. He’s also pulled up no trees since which suggests that he is every bit as bang average as his City record indicates. I’d still have a wry smile if he managed to bet against Man City but...

He was always a better option than Becchio though who was utterly garbage and appeared to be stealing a living. Yet the crowd clamoured for him...we’re a strange bunch.[/quote]Sadly not quite as rememberd! I think it was Danny Rose who had the ball and let it run too far forward, so it wasn''t even really a tackle by van Wolfswinkel, more an interception. He played a short sideways pass to Johnson, I think it was, who played the killer pass behind the defender for Snodgrass to run on to and score.

It wasn''t just that he only scored once, I can''t actually remember a moment of thinking ''oh he''s been unlucky not to score there.'' He just carried no goal threat.

His lack of physicality, not suited to the league bad luck with injuries, not playing to his strengths and not being grant holt all added up. But It is all water under the bridge and really is time to move on.

But the stand out odd fact is that no player won more points per start than RvW during that season, and had he played more games at that rate we wouldnt have been relegated. Go figure.

[quote user="king canary"]It wasn''t just that he only scored once, I can''t actually remember a moment of thinking ''oh he''s been unlucky not to score there.'' He just carried no goal threat.[/quote] I clearly remember his excellent, powerful header in the frustrating away game at Hull (second game of that ill-fated season). He was thwarted by a world-class reaction save by McGregor. To quote the BBC report on the game:
"Norwich midfielder Jonny Howson twice went close with long-range efforts but McGregor was only really tested by a Van Wolfswinkel header just after the hour mark."
It''s quite possible that season might have developed very differently if that header had gone in.

@westcoast

We found one!

People keep making excuses for him- ''if he''d have taken the penalty, if his header had gone in...''

If he was a better player he''d have got past those things.

[quote user="king canary"]It wasn''t just that he only scored once, I can''t actually remember a moment of thinking ''oh he''s been unlucky not to score there.'' He just carried no goal threat.[/quote]
He scored twice - I''m probably one of the few people who were present for both. Header against Everton at home, and a tap in away at Rotherham in the league cup (the day Grabban went AWOL)

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="king canary"]It wasn''t just that he only scored once, I can''t actually remember a moment of thinking ''oh he''s been unlucky not to score there.'' He just carried no goal threat.[/quote] I clearly remember his excellent, powerful header in the frustrating away game at Hull (second game of that ill-fated season). He was thwarted by a world-class reaction save by McGregor. To quote the BBC report on the game:

"Norwich midfielder Jonny Howson twice went close with long-range efforts but McGregor was only really tested by a Van Wolfswinkel header just after the hour mark."

It''s quite possible that season might have developed very differently if that header had gone in.

[/quote]

But he did score with a header in his debut against Everton.  And it was after his debut that there was that perceptive website article pointing why he was ill-suited to the Prem, a courageous piece of journalism to write that about a striker who''d just scored on his debut.

If he''d been fortunate enough to score again vs Hull, I doubt very much if it would have made any difference to the season as a whole. I went to that game and it was basically attack (City) vs defence (Hull, reduced to 10 men and holding on to a 1-0 lead) for most of the game, with the City attack showing a complete lack of ability to create openings against a pretty ordinary but well-disciplined defence despite having masses of possession.  Even if RVW had scored and we''d got something out of the game, the underlying problems were clear to see even at that early stage.  Having said this, the margins were very close so an extra win here or there could have made the difference about City''s survival (equally there were games that went in our favour that could easily have gone the other way) but I don''t think RVW would have made a success of it in the Prem regardless.

@It''s Character Forming
"If he''d been fortunate enough to score again vs Hull, I doubt very much if it would have made any difference to the season as a whole."
One may well doubt it ICF, yet one of the most powerful insights of recent times -- owed to an American meteorologist incidentally -- is that tiny changes can have massive consequences and the more complex a phenomenon the greater the possible variations in outcome consequent on small variations in initial conditions. I prefer to think that RVW''s header rocketing past McGregor''s outstretched hand at Hull could have been the flap of the butterfly''s wing that resulted in a Norwich City tornado!

I think Ricky was my one player that every time I saw him on the team sheet it became more laughable. Everyone has a player they dislike and I remember getting pissed off seeing him start. Again and again. How often do you get a striker who poses almost no threat and starts so much!?