Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

City to demand £30 for Maddison

I know its the mirror and doesn''t really tell us anything new but they are now reporting we have provisionally sanctioned the sale of Maddison this summer provided we receive £30m.

Spurs and Liverpool interested with man city now in the mix as well.

Very much see him leaving this summer to one of the big boys. I have a hunch Spurs and we would take £20m+. Although the 20% sell on clause to Coventry may see us demand more.

Damn the lack of an edit button

Link here

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/norwich-demand-30million-demand-liverpool-12000895

Good. If he was at another club we wouldn’t batter an eyelid at his £30mil price tag, infact, if he was at a Spanish club and Chelsea paid £35mil for a lad of his age and talent then no one would even question it. Just hope we can go up via the play offs and give ourselves a good chance of holding on to him for a further season as I reckon he’d be more than happy to stay here under DF for a season or so of regular PL football whilst he continues to learn his trade. He seems very happy and his attitude is immense.

I hope the Mirror article is correct as he is an outstanding talent, and the real deal. We should therefore be getting outstanding and real money for him.

If true well done the club, stick a marker down now! He’s worth every penny of that 30 million to our club, his finishing is superb and he’s only going to improve in the future.

Well done Webber & co for saying if you want our star player you will pay the price we put on him.

Sounds like make believe to get some clicks or the club trying to spin it.

I''m not so sure PL clubs would quite stump up that much, but they do seem happy to pee away £tens of millions on utter garbage at times so he''s worth it from that POV.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I''m not so sure PL clubs would quite stump up that much, but they do seem happy to pee away £tens of millions on utter garbage at times so he''s worth it from that POV.[/quote]

😳

A player who’s career I will definitely follow once he’s left city.

Outstanding talent, already is and will be a much better player than Pritchard and I hope he goes to one of the top teams as I believe he’ll be good enough to make it at the very top level.

Will be gutted to see him leave as we should have had a least one more season of watching him play in the first team if it hadn’t been for extremely poor management but he’s far too good for the championship and wil wish him well when that day comes.

The EPL is not all it is cracked up to be.

The boy is good enough to bypass it and go straight to Real Madrid instead.

He is good and he is the real deal, but let''s not kid ourselves he''s made it to the top and could walk into any team.  If he goes to a PL team of any kind, he will not be an automatic choice and will have to fight his way into it.  I''m sure he can do that, but it is not a given that he will be a regular starter in any of the top clubs he has been linked with. I don''t think it is certain he will move on. He could go into a lower PL team, but why would he do that and be in a team likely to be fighting against relegation?   He could go to a top team - the most likely option imo - but would he get into a Spurs or Liverpool side and be able to hold down a place there, or would he one of the many players who have to sit on the bench at those kind of clubs. He could stay on another season, he is still only 21, after all - he relishes playing games and if he stays, he will get plenty of those. Money is not the be all and end all for some players and I think he is one for who football is more important.  His agent might try and push him, but as he has shown, he has a mind of his own - and that is one of the reasons he is such a good footballer.

It’s no certainty any team will meet our valuation.......

But more likely, they will, he’ll want to prove himself, as a Deli Ali and others, 21 isn’t that young if you’re good enough.

As for wanting game time, it’ll still be a no brainier if he’s made an offer to go to a top flight team, he’ll be gone.

To us he’s worth the 30 million, but the reality will be what the club needs to ensure next seasons funds and thereafter, 20 million would see us good for a few seasons.

We shall see come the summer.

I don''t think it is certain he will move on. He could go into a lower PL team, but why would he do that and be in a team likely to be fighting against relegation?

Maybe the very significant pay rise that would be coming his way? It’s highly unlikely that unless we are promoted Maddison will be here next season. The majority of supporters have long accepted that.

@ldc

That is such a naive take on things.

Show me one example of player in a mid table championship team turning down an opportunity to play in the Premier League?

To be a top level footballer you''ve got to be supremely confident in your abilities. Maddison will believe he can get into Spurs or Liverpool team and he''ll be equally confident he can impress enough at a West Ham or Stoke (if they stay up) to either keep them up or earn a move up the food chain.

[quote user="king canary"]@ldc

That is such a naive take on things.

Show me one example of player in a mid table championship team turning down an opportunity to play in the Premier League?

To be a top level footballer you''ve got to be supremely confident in your abilities. Maddison will believe he can get into Spurs or Liverpool team and he''ll be equally confident he can impress enough at a West Ham or Stoke (if they stay up) to either keep them up or earn a move up the food chain.[/quote]It is not naive in the slightest. Not every player is obessed with money and not every player wants to be governed by what others think they should do.  Maddison has already demonstrated his single mindedness that he wants to play football - hence his pushing for a loan last season.  He has been linked with PL clubs when younger, but preferred to prove his worth through playing football. He did not want to be just another developer.   So imo it will be the club that decide whether he moves or not  - maybe because we might want to cash in.  He is under a long contract and plainly likes being at Norwich and I believe he would be happy if the club decided he should stay.  There will be pressure to move, of course, because of the hype, the speculation, his agent too - but ultimately it will be the club that decides - and that is good, because it means we can hold out for top dollar - and we might even keep him another season.  That is not naive, it is a sensible approach and he could move end of next season and still be only 22.

Naive. If a PL offer comes in the summer and it will, he will be gone. A footballers career is short and who knows what injury or loss of form may be around the corner. Dean Ashton for example. We are merely his current employer and when a better offer comes he will go. You were probably making the same noises about Pritchard?

“@ldc That is such a naive take on things. Show me one example of player in a mid table championship team turning down an opportunity to play in the Premier League?”

Ryan Sessegnon has been linked with the prem for a couple of seasons but he’s still there. They finished mid table lady season

Sessegnon is still only 17. Ridiculous when you consider what he''s done so far.

He will get a Prem move. No doubt.

The lad seems to have his head screwed on and will know that he will make it inn the PL... at sometime.I would suggest that''s why he chose City over the other supposed ''suitors''. Far better to be ''learning his trade'' on the pitch at a challenging level than being stuck in the reserves at one of those clubs.I would also venture to suggest that he is enjoying his time here, and recognises the advantages of working with good coaches who want to see him develop. Yes, he''ll go at some point, but he does not strike me as someone who''ll have his head turned by the first promise of riches.For my part he''s been a breath of fresh air. A lad with considerable talent, who seems to have bought into what the club is about - but with not the slightest bit of ''bertie big bollocks'' about him at all.So let''s just enjoy watching him play and let the future take care of itself

I think when Maddison left Coventry he chose Norwich ahead of PL suitors because he wanted to develop his career at a sensible rate rather than chasing the money and the glory. However, in his career trajectory Norwich have undoubtedly served their purpose now, and he is absolutely ready for PL football. He has shown great maturity in choosing clubs that will help his development, and I think he knows he is ready for the next step up. Even if we were to somehow get promoted, I''d be astonished if he was still here next season.I think the likelihood is that he will take the big move to a top six club, and then either try to fight his way into the squad/team, or take a season-long loan to a lower-end PL club. He will leave this summer with our blessing - although he will only have played one full year for us, I''ll cherish the memories of this season for a long, long time. A true class act.

@LDC

A lovely sentiment seen through yellow and green glasses.

Nobody has suggested he''s motivated by money, but I have no doubt he''s extremely ambitious. Those ambitions will involves playing at the highest level, challenging for trophies and maybe even cracking the England squad. Barring a late run for the play-offs and an unexpected promotion he isn''t achieving those things here.

If the shoe was on the other foot and we were a Premier League team bidding for a young midfielder in a mid table Championship team I doubt you''d be advising he''d be better off staying put.

Ah LDC, ever the optimist... I remember your comments on so many threads about us not going down or the possibility of making the playoffs when all around you were being practical and realistic. Good for you.

Maddison is the real deal. I believe he will play for England at the next Euros. He reminds me so much of Beckham in his persona and balance when on the ball.

I can''t help but think that Spurs have first option on him, with Edwards coming here as the sweetener, on trial this season to see if we can rid him of his demons and help him to knuckle down.

Ambition does not necessarily mean jumping into the PL at the first opportunity like Pritchard did.  I think Maddison realises he is going to go to the PL at some point but will concentrate on playing football rather than hanker after a move every time there is a transfer window.  He kept his focus pretty well during the last window and he will know that the opportunity will come when it comes.  He only as a decision to make when someone makes a serious offer and the club decide they want to sell.  That may happen in the summer, it may not - but the club will imo hold out for a huge price tag this time and he will not go unless that price tag is reached - and that could mean he stays. Would that bother young Maddison? I don''t think so. He has an unusually sensible head on his shoulders.  When he pushed to go out on loan last season rather than sit in the development squad, it crossed my mind that he was very sure of himself to do that - and I questioned his motivation at the time - but I was wrong -  he has showed all the way through that he has a superb mentality for wherever he is and he will concentrate on playing in the knowledge that the rewards will come his way in due course. That could happen in the summer or it could happen the following year......I just don''t think it bothers him when. 

I would love him to give us one more season but if a valuation/bid comes in near £30m he and the club would cash in. Imagine the recriminations and he got crocked close season ??

Would that bother young Maddison? I don''t think so.

Yes I’m sure he would be absolutely delighted if the club stood in his way and blocked a move to a big club and the rewards that come with that. You’re in a dreamworld if you think that

[quote user="JF"]Would that bother young Maddison? I don''t think so.

Yes I’m sure he would be absolutely delighted if the club stood in his way and blocked a move to a big club and the rewards that come with that. You’re in a dreamworld if you think that[/quote]Ok, so say Aresenal come in and offer us £10m.  Would he go to Arsenal under those circumstances?  No - and rightly so. Any move has to work for all parties.  

How could anybody possibly know if Maddison is happy to stay or his feelings on the matter at all?

If a big club come in for him in the summer, firstly we’ll consider any reasonable offer, and secondly, he might want to go. I’ll be shocked if he’s a Norwich City player come September.