Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Matt Jarvis Injury - Any update

I believe he was due back in training this week or last week. Bare in mind that i don’t believe it’s full training. So he has to get to that stage and then some U-23 game time as well.

I think mid March would be the earliest for him. But I hope someone can prove me wrong with a sooner date.

[quote user="SFRF"]Does it matter? He’ll never make it back to full fitness, he’ll injure himself again trying to do so.

He’s just one of those players, sadly. I’m pretty sure he’ll never play for Norwich again.[/quote]
One of those players, but still managed 350 appearances roughly for other clubs. Hopefully he comes back this time as it''s probably his last opportunity to do so.

Farke pretty much ruled him out for the season. They won''t risk putting him through full training if he would only get fit around early to mid April.

They will hope he can build up a bit of strength and then go into a proper pre-season come the summer. Without knowing the ins and outs of Jarvis'' injuries that would seem the more sensible course of action - the same with Louis Thompson. Let them both recover slowly and minimise risk.

Whether Jarvis ever plays for Norwich, or anyone else again is an unknown. If they thought that was likely the case he would have already retired as the rest of his contract would be covered by insurance.

The hardest thing for people with long term injuries is the mental strength to keep faith that they can return to full fitness - and not be put off by people writing them off (or even the thought that people are writing them off).  It can be the making of a person to come through a bad injury, it can help their mentality - and the sheer joy of being able to play again  can give them extra years in their career that they might not have had otherwise. Good luck to him in his quest to get full fitness.

Should go for the insurance end of career even if not who will play him with recent injury record. Insurance payout will give club some recompense.

Does anyone know if clubs insure against player injury - other than retirement - e.g. out for 6 months?You can get critical staff insurance in other industries.

Premiums for shorter term injuries would be astronomical I guess - injury is a very likely occurrence in football and wages are so high it probably wouldn''t be economical for clubs to do it.

Jarvis is 31 and probably feels he has nothing to gain by retiring and getting the insurance. His injuries aren''t like Dean Ashton''s ankle which meant he risked being able to walk if he continued playing professionally and with a good contract at Norwich for at least another season he has no incentive to walk away from the game. Sadly for Ashton he was never able to actually claim his insurance as he made an unsuccessful attempt to play again after receiving the original injury.

Player insurance is very expensive and the firms often wriggle out of making any payments due to the difficulty of pin-pointing when or why an injury occurs.

“It’s been extremely tough mentally and physically for me with injury this last year but am buzzing to be back out training with the lads again today! 🙌🏼🙌🏼⚽️ Exciting times ahead!‘

Good luck👍

[quote user="Van wink"]“It’s been extremely tough mentally and physically for me with injury this last year but am buzzing to be back out training with the lads again today! 🙌🏼🙌🏼⚽️ Exciting times ahead!‘

Good luck👍[/quote]

Seconded, it would be great to see him play again - and answer his doubters in the best way - on the pitch.....

I hope he returns this season rather than us just wait until next season as that probably won’t happen (he’ll be moved on in summer no doubt.) he’d be a nice (English grown as well) option on the wings and can hopefully mentor josh a bit to make his game more rounded. A few years ago he was one of the best both footed wingers around in the lower prem. if he even has half of that at this level then he’d be useful. It’s hardly like we’re smashing teams 5 nil every week.

Reading through this thread it is not difficult to see where poster''s true allegiance liesFor my part, good luck to the chapI''ll be more than pleased to see him in City colours again

... if it is only on the pitch at Wembley celebrating City winning the play off final

Good luck to Matt after a hugely difficult and frustrating period.

Major injuries often cause compound issues that create opposite-side minor injuries and inherent weaknesses that take more time to cure than football has to offer.

I retired from football at 26, hadn’t played high level competitive football for 2 years before that.

The thought that it was to be a sicknote and just take the money is absurd and offensive. You work your whole life to reach the necessary level - as Matt Jarvis certainly did - and dealing with the what ifs and if onlys is extremely difficult.

In bocca al lupo.

Parma

Jarvis posted a picture on Twitter of his boots after his first days full training saying it was good to be back.Anyone who''s had a long term injury or knows a player who''s had to come back from one will wish him well, the others can go and **** themselves.

Exactly, they may get payed lots of money and we may have signed an injury prone player, but you should stand by your players when in this situation and that''s what the club have done.

Good luck Matt. Keeping my fingers crossed that his injury troubles are behind him, but at 31 you have to wonder whether it''s possible to get back to anywhere near his best.

Like most good fans, I wish him all the best and really hope he can get back to playing. He has one more season on his contract, and as he must be one of the high earners, I suspect we''ll be trying to release/sell him in the summer.

Put it this way, would you rather spend the money on a one year extension for Tettey or keep Jarvis? That maybe slightly unfair, given we haven''t seen him play for nearly 2 years, but taking the emotion out of it, that''s how I see it.

He’s contracted for another 12 months after this season, so I’m sure he’ll be here next season.

I doubt his match fitness will be anywhere near good enough at present, it’ll take him a few weeks to get upto a level needed.

I hope he comes back and makes a great impact, what city fan wouldn’t, but I won’t hold my breath as we signed him injured, since his move to West Sham he’s been injured more often than not, so let’s see how long before he’s back on the treatment table.

Good luck to him, hopefully he can now put something back to the club as he’s been expensive.

I for one hope he get fits and has a run in the matchday squad. At this level if he can get to anywhere near half his best he will be a massive asset to us and will add another option down the left.