Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Well done klose but

Why the hell do we always seem to wake up in the second half ,same old story we have had for the past season''s no decent striker ,but fair result today .

I''m starting to wonder if it isn''t a game plan? Contain the opposition until 20 mins. & then cut loose & give it a real go. A way to win when you''re not scoring many?

If it is, the glaring flaw was exposed today!

[quote user="ron obvious"]I''m starting to wonder if it isn''t a game plan? Contain the opposition until 20 mins. & then cut loose & give it a real go. A way to win when you''re not scoring many?

If it is, the glaring flaw was exposed today![/quote] What "glaring flaw" exactly? I didn''t see any tactical flaw, just another example of how difficult it is to score against a well-coached, nine-man defence. Not surprisingly, us getting those two extra points hinged on the precision of Maddison''s free kicks.; small margins as they say.

The glaring flaw being when you can''t quite force a goal & the opposition have one scrappy counter attack in the 89th minute ...

But every plan has its flaw. Otherwise there''d be no point in playing games :-)

You don’t see a glaring flaw?

I would say our home form shows it pretty well. 5 homes wins all season is it? How many chances did we create in the box today? Did we ever look like scoring before Ipswich scored?

We can’t keep relying on Maddison putting one in the top corner from 25yards because what will we do when he’s not here next year?

@Fenway

Because it’s still 2 points dropped in a game we have dominated (according to the stats at least) where we struggled to even create a chance in the final 25yards of the pitch

Take the derby sentiment away and it’s the same issues that have plagued us all season.

I''ve seen it said a few times on here about us having superior levels of fitness. It would certainly make sense that we do better in the second half because of a fitness advantage over the opposition. Im not sure its a case of us being slow to start or not being awake.

It could indeed be a deliberate plan to contain in the first half and then chase the second half where our fitness would give us an advantage

I reckon it was all part of the plan.

Make Ipswich think after 9 long years its FINALLY happened for them, then snatch it out of their hands like candy from a baby.

Hahahahahaahah

As satisfying as that late equaliser was it’s a poor result against a poor team we should be beating.

The tactics work well away and the second half today was certainly much better than the first (which was appalling) but we simply don’t get enough people in the box or work the keeper enough even when dominating. It’s too easy for sides to just sit in against us, get men behind the ball and wait for a sloppy pass.

Thought their goalkeeper had a good game and they played with about 8 defensively minded players.

Its not Farkes tactics. If a team sits back and camps on their 18 yard line its difficult regardless of the opposition.

@hoegsar

Yes but teams have done that all season- at some point you have to develop a plan B.

Thought Mashiter on twitter (excellent rhyme) summed it up well in these tweets...

"And a generation of Ipswich fans continue to wait for a derby win...Still, they’ve got those stars to cling to. #ncfc

That said, #ncfc approach still too passive - either waiting for a worldie or trying to score the perfect goal - until the equaliser.

Admire the desire to play the way #ncfc are and said before it takes time but a ‘Plan B’ isn’t a wrong or bad option. As the leveller, from two CBs combining, showed.

Maddison key again but over-reliance is becoming an issue. Similar to Bellamy in early years (missed massively in 1999/2000) and Roberts/Eadie previously. "

I thought Ipswich had the better of the first half and Farkes tactical switch at half time resulted in us absolutely dominating the second.

He also went to two up front to try and help us build from further up the pitch.

Id be interested in what we should have done differently tactically.

He made changes far too late.

We dominated, but other than shots from outside the box we created nothing until the goal.

Also, how many times did Gunn pass short, just to have the ball passed back to him with an Ipswich player running at him? In the first half we were also over playing and caused ourselves trouble once or twice.

I also would have switched Reed for Pinto, not being critical of Reed but we had a shocking lack of attacking width on the right, which then gave Ipswich an easy out ball to clear it.

This isn’t new stuff either, it’s been a feature of our home performances all season. When we dominate the ball, we create less. When we find ourselves losing and go direct, we create more.

It isn''t about formation or players as such, more a switch in mentality- asking players to be a bit quicker on the ball, take a couple less touches before passing and being more willing to let players break and carry the ball forward.

We don''t have to start going route one but our desire to keep possession above all often suits teams set up like Ipswich as we let them get back in formation.

We need to be a bit quicker mentally to break down teams like this.