Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Player ratings

Thought I''d have a stab at some player ratings from today...

Gunn, 6- Thought he looked nervy in the first half and spilled a couple of shots that he shouldn''t have. Couple of excellent catches under pressure though.

Hanley, 8- MOTM even before the run and cross. Very solid defensively, really good in the air and generally exudes and air of confidence.

Zimmerman, 5- Not sure most will agree but thought he was pretty poor today- played us into trouble two or three times and just seemed to want too much time on the ball.

Klose, 7- Excellent work for the goal, generally looked calm on the ball but got beaten in the air much more than usual.

Reed, 6- Good effort, lots of running but clearly not a wingback. Lacks the pace or burst to give us an option going forward but solid enough at the back.

Leitner, 6- Lots of hype over him, neat and tidy but didn''t see much penetration from him. Again, looked like he wanted more time on the ball than Ipswich were allowing and got caught out under pressure on occasion.

Tettey, 5- One of his less impressive games. Passing was poor, didn''t seem confident carrying the ball and too often ended up facing his own goal.

Lewis, 6- Silly foul to give away the freekick but full of running and linked well with Murphy when he got forward. Struggled a bit with the physicality and pace of Iorfa.

Maddison, 7- Ipswich did there best to take him out of the game but he''s just too good. Free kicks are brilliant.

Murphy, 6- full of running but the end product wasn''t there today. Linked well with Lewis and looked better when he was wider.

Oliveria, 5- Eternally frustrating. Looks much better when we play the ball into his chest/feet than when we ask him to try and win headers against big central defenders but was still too weak on occasions, failing to hold the ball up.

Have to disagree on some of those marks especially Lewis. I thought he was excellent today and had Iorfa in his pocket for most of the game. This boy has a big future in the game. Never looks flustered when defending and very comfortable on the ball. Thought Leitner looks the real deal and if we could keep him next season that would be a coup.

To be honest, it looked like there were a lot of nerves amongst the players today, particularly the less experienced guys. Not really surprising.Gunn, 6- Seemed unsure of himself to begin with. Uncharacteristically poor handling throughout, but seemed to improve as the match went on.

Hanley, 8- Becoming a really authoritative Centre Back. Also has a decent burst of pace, which is a bit surprising.Zimmerman, 6 - Several mistakes, got caught on the ball and caught out a couple of times. Not his usual immaculate self.

Klose, 7- Thought he was good today, good marauding runs forward. Took the goal well, and could/should have had another earlier too. Seems to really be enjoying his football at the moment, probably the best we''ve seen of him since the Prem days.

Reed, 6- Don''t remember him doing too much today. Got caught out for a header in the first half that they should have done better with.

Leitner, 6- Didn''t do much today. Seems to already be extremely highly-rated by a lot of our fans, not sure what this is based on other than rep. Hasn''t shown much for me yet.Tettey, 7- Thought he was back to his defensive best today. Lots of good tracking, and importantly snuffed out a lot of counter-attacks.

Lewis, 6- Looks like a gem. Been very impressed with his decision making and calm nature under pressure. Not his best game, but not a poor game either.

Maddison, 7- Carries us offensively, and the only forward player who really caused consistent problems for Ipswich today. Seems to do it at whatever level he plays at, and I have no doubt he can perform at the highest level.

Murphy, 5- Doesn''t seem to really suit this system; not great at holding the ball up or competing physically. Much better when he has a bit of space to run into. Would like to see Onel given a start to see what he can do.

Oliveria, 6- Works hard, competes well, but just not a natural target man. Frustratingly fails to challenge for most headers, but looks good when the ball is into his chest or feet. Desperately needs a goal or a rest.

Have to agree about Gunn. Everybody gets an off day of course but I have never seen him looking so nervy, a big game I know but a bit of a surprise.

I thought Klose was a bit shaky today aside from the goal, gave the ball away a fair amount. Hanley also my MOM, he was immense.I''d go with:Gunn 6: couple of spilled shots, didn''t look comfortable today in the first half - I think the sun was probably affecting his judgement.Hanley 9: immense. Great tackling, good in the air, composed on the ball and that assist.Zimmermann 6: didn''t look quite as assured as usual, particularly in the first half.Klose 6: aside from the goal I''d say he actually had a relatively poor game by his standards. Was tempted to give him an extra mark just for that awesome lap of honour at the end!Reed 6: industrious as ever but not as convincing as in the last couple of games.Tettey 7: read the game very well, quietly effective and did the hard work to allow Leitner more room to play in.Leitner 7: not as much direct impact as last week, but clearly a classy footballer with great vision and awareness. Link-up play with Maddison superb.Lewis 7: a tough afternoon against a tricky customer in Iorfa, but he passed with flying colours. Great in attack and defence, and was very impressed with his (lack of) reaction when that príck of a binner fan threw the ball at him.Maddison 8: got better and better as the match went on. Attacking fulcrum, too good for the binmen and too good for the Championship.Murphy 6: linked well with Lewis in patches, but didn''t really click for him today.Oliveira 6: looked well up for it, but no real end product. Desperately needs a goal.