Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Only a matter of time....

Before Angus with goal a goal kick plays out to the the nearest plays gets us into trouble. I’m am suprised at the amount of passing we make to get out of our own half, and often it ends up where it started , in Gunn’s hands.

Clearly they are told to do this, but our players don’t have enough skill to carry it out enough to make it worth while.

Another issue is almost whenever we have free kick it is taken across the field rather than forward. It’s a total waste of the free kick in my opinion.

Today’s game was a prime example of both these issues.

100%

The p*ssing about at the back is one game, likely this season going to cost us a goal, but like you say they are being told to do this!

The lack of directness, attacking the oppositions 6 yard box, indeed their penalty box most of the time has been a problem this season and most definitely our Achilles heel!

If we can improve our attack then with our superb backline we''d become serious title contenders!

I like that we play out from the back. Yes, sometimes the ball ends up back with Gunn but the intention is correct and a few times today and the whole point being that we will work our way into good positions, getting players like Maddison and Leitner on the ball in attacking, creative areas.

The idiocy of some annoyed me today as they bemoaned us taking a short goal kick “just take a normal goal kick for gawds sake” yet then outdid their precious rant with critisism of Oliveria not being able to hold the ball up.

I actually felt we played a lot more long balls today which is credit to 1p5wich for mirroring our formation and restricting our width. They pressed well and gave players such as Maddison and Leitner little time on the ball (particularly 1st half). 2nd half we were much better at knowing when to attack quicker and create chances, albeit more often than not from a bit too far out.

Like the whole season was always going to be, it’s a work in progress but I can see what we are aiming to achieve and applaud the way we are trying/starting to play more consistently.

Sorry, but enough with the ‘work in progress’ stuff.

This season we started at home by dominating a team without ever creating clear cut chances. Has there been that much progress at home all season?

We are still slow, laboured and predictable. We are waiting for teams to come chasing us so we can play it around them and score the perfect goal, yet that is simply never going to happen when teams are happy to sit in 2 banks of 4. There is also a complete lack of plan b until we are losing. The subs were almost embarrassingly late today.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Sorry, but enough with the ‘work in progress’ stuff.

This season we started at home by dominating a team without ever creating clear cut chances. Has there been that much progress at home all season?

We are still slow, laboured and predictable. We are waiting for teams to come chasing us so we can play it around them and score the perfect goal, yet that is simply never going to happen when teams are happy to sit in 2 banks of 4. There is also a complete lack of plan b until we are losing. The subs were almost embarrassingly late today.[/quote]Farke has had a whole 7 months drilling an (almost) entirely new squad into a team and even (or more accurately, especially) those that have little understanding of the game can see that progression has not been quick enough. We should be in the Champions League 1/4 finals by now. Time to scrap the whole plan, move on the players brought in, sack the manager and start again. After all we are rolling in cash, what with our billionare owners.

Nothing wrong with playing it short but it is pretty easy to stop as Ipswich proved today- sit a couple of players on the central defenders and make it tough for them.

We need to have another option as the longer balls don''t work- Nelson isn''t winning many headers off big central defenders (although with the ball to his feet or chest he''s much better at holding it up). Maybe one of the central mids or the wing backs need to make themselves available.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"][quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Sorry, but enough with the ‘work in progress’ stuff.

We are still slow, laboured and predictable. We are waiting for teams to come chasing us so we can play it around them and score the perfect goal, yet that is simply never going to happen when teams are happy to sit in 2 banks of 4. There is also a complete lack of plan b until we are losing. The subs were almost embarrassingly late today.[/quote]Farke has had a whole 7 months drilling an (almost) entirely new squad into a team and even (or more accurately, especially) those that have little understanding of the game can see that progression has not been quick enough. We should be in the Champions League 1/4 finals by now. Time to scrap the whole plan, move on the players brought in, sack the manager and start again. After all we are rolling in cash, what with our billionare owners.[/quote]
[:D]
It''s funny. "The subs were almost embarrassingly late today". Well, we had come out in the second half and completely dominated and were creating opportunities, either from being fouled on the edge of the area or via shots from the same kind of area. We had pushed them back and our attacking players were getting joy. I didn''t see a massive need to change things at this point. 
I''m not entirely sure about this ''plan b'' stuff either. The only alternative plan that anyone in this league ever seems to have is punt it up to a big man who can hold it up. I''m not sure we have this option, unless Srbeny can do that role. We''re unfortunately playing with an out-of-form striker who doesn''t make darting runs into the box. Then people blame Farke that we don''t create many opportunities in the area. I think Rogue asked when Oliviera last missed a shot in the area. Well it was only about 3 games ago. Same for Maddison. We have created chances at home which we haven''t taken where the away team has. That''s when we''ve not got results. 
As for playing it out from the back, I''m a fan of it. It generally makes sense. Of course, the opposition can man mark and stop it happening. But Gunn went long a few times too. Unfortunately the ball isn''t sticking with Oliviera so ''mixing it up'' isn''t a great option for us at the moment. 
As for our slow, laboured passing as it''s referred to. I think it''s ironically a pretty lazy statement in itself. Us keeping the ball makes the opposition work. That is evident. It''s also evident that we''re consistently better in the second half. That''s a combination of tiring out the opposition and probably our superior fitness, which sounds like a well planned method of gaining an advantage. But heck, was does Farke know. He''s only a football coach.

Interestingly, we started putting Hanley on the half way line near the touchline while Klose and Zimmermann offered the short ball. Then for some reason that was abandoned in favour of a ball through the middle to Oliveira who isn''t that type of forward and was never going to win those headers. Not sure why we abandoned that tactic as I thought it would have been a safer option than the ball out to Tettey, who just isn''t as capable of receiving that type of ball in that position.

What''s probably more important is how we react to the ''second ball'', so if we don''t win that first header, we need to have players in the positions where we can regain possession when an opposition centre half wins a header.

@Hoegsar

I''m not sure I buy that our possession tactics work though. We''ve seen pretty consistently this season that having more of the ball doesn''t consistently generate better results. We dominated possession yesterday yet were 30 seconds away from losing. We had 56% possession v Sheffield United and lost. We had 45% of the ball v Bristol City and won.

Plan B doesn''t have to mean route one either. For instance we could have yesterday bought Reed off for Pinto or even Hernandez to give the team more width, Srebny on for Tettey or Leitner and focused more on attacking wide areas and getting crosses in. That would still be a plan B.

I don''t think criticism of the slow passing is lazy, certainly no more than ''Farke is a football coach so what he does must be correct.''

Exactly King. Pinto for Reed, Hernandez for Murphy were both viable options around the 60minute mark. Both would have offered something different to what was on the pitch already, and would have given the Ipswich players something different to think about.

As for keeping the ball to bring the opposition onto us, teams are far too disciplined in the Championship to run around like headless chickens away from home. How many times have teams just sunk bank into 2 lines behind the ball?

And saying that Oliveria and Maddison both missed chances in the box 3 games ago sum its up. We simply aren''t making enough chances. You can have 100 shots from outside the box a game. It doesnt necessarily give you a better chance of winning.

How many chances are other similar teams creating at home compared to us then? Are we really that far behind creatively? The chances p/g for our attacking players suggest that''s not the case but i''ve not looked into it further.
I''d say if Oliviera had taken some of his easier chances over the last 4/5 games there would be no criticism about chances being created.

@Hoegsar

You''d be better looking at Xg rather than shots per game as that can be misleading. Unfortunately I don''t know somewhere for reliable Championship XG stats.

Looking at yesterday in a microcosm- we had 15 shots to their 8 but of our 4 on target shots, only one came from inside the area (the goal). Our others were two Maddison freekicks and Nelson''s shot from range.

We''re having shots but we''re not creating much in the way of ''clear cut'' opportunities as our build up is often too slow. As Nick Mashiter said yesterday we''re either hoping for a worldy or trying to walk it in. Luckily Maddison has scored a few stunners but without him in the team I''d be worried.