Sign in to follow this  
super dave

Kicking towards the barclay

I believe that on Sunday Ipswich won the toss (That''s all they''re ever likely to win!) and chose to make us kick towards the Barclay in the 2nd half.

Is this something that we should be looking to do on a regular basis and does it really make a difference or not?

Personally I prefer it as I feel that it seems to get the more vocal fans involved in the 2nd half when most of the time the team really needs the crowds support.

As a player, I doubt it really has much affect on anything. The only reason is exactly what King suggested above, you always force your opponent to get the worst of the sun if you win the toss!

That was definitely the case on Sunday but in general I think it could be a boost to the team to kick towards the Barclay in the 2nd half

I''ve always preferred us kicking towards where I sit in the second half, and being in the Barclay that has happened precious few times this season!

I don''t suppose it usually makes a difference to players (Sunday was obviously sun-related), but I''d have thought most away fans would prefer their side shooting towards them second....perhaps we should change.

There have been some great goals in the second half at the Barclay end: Fashanu''s volley v Liverpool, Bruce''s header v Ipswich in the semi-final, Jackson''s winner v Derby and now Klose''s header on Sunday.

Didn''t we also shoot that way v Ipswich in the play-off semi-final? with Wes'' pen and Redmond''s goal? Another one with an early kick-off.

Seems the low sun doesn''t make much difference v Ipswich!

I certainly prefer it when they kick towards the Barclay, but that''s because I sit in the snakepit!i agree that it probably doesn''t make any difference which way we kick when (sun excepted) - but this begs the question of why we seem to have a preference to kick towards the Barclay in the fist half?

[quote user=" Badger"]I certainly prefer it when they kick towards the Barclay, but that''s because I sit in the snakepit!i agree that it probably doesn''t make any difference which way we kick when (sun excepted) - but this begs the question of why we seem to have a preference to kick towards the Barclay in the fist half?[/quote]I have seen mention that there is a very slight slope down towards the River End, hence the tendency to want to play that way in the second half, as tiredness becomes an increasing factor.I have often wondered whether there is a kind of gentleman''s agreement between clubs that allows the home generally to play the way they want to, unless there are specific circumstances, such as a low sun.

I don''t think it really matters so much. All I''ll say is that I''d be interested to see how many goals have been scored at Barclay end (where I sit) and how many River End. Because I would wager that the majority have come at the River End this season.

A few years ago I was talking to a few of the players and they told me that it feels like there is a slope on the pitch toward the river end. They didn''t think there was, it''s just an illusion or certainly not defined

This is why they always preferred to kick towards the River end 2nd half.

If any body knows any of the current squad may be it''s worth asking them.

Kicking towards the Barclay in the first half was Paul Lambert''s idea. Statistically, most football matches are won by the team that scores first. Lambert thought we were more likely to score kicking towards the Barclay so he opted for that to try and score the first goal.

I''m not sure PL can get credit for this Dylan as I''m sure since Worthington and probably before we always ran out and towards the River end.

I''m sure NN will be able to tell us. - the players who told me were playing in the mid- late 80''s

I would much prefer to have us kick towards the Barclay in the second half. The simple reason is, that is where the majority of the noise is generated in the ground. It must be more beneficial to have your own fans roaring you on in the second half as opposed to the away team playing towards their fans.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Judging by Gunn struggling to come for easy catches playing the first half towards the sun did us no favours, god only knows why he wasn''t wearing a cap[/quote]Agree it''s odd that goalies rarely wear caps anywhere anymore. Back in the day even the great Kevin Keelan always wore one when the sun was out but more strangely he almost never wore gloves even on the coldest days. When men were men.....[;)]

Weve always preferred kicking downhill second half. Unless you played there you won''t realise that there is a very slight slope towards the River End.

Couldn''t our Angus wear ''Ray Banns'' due to wearing a cap interfering with his peripheral vision.......? (Although, other sunglasses are also available).....

Or a goalie welder''s mask........maybe?.....