Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

Twitter rumour: Mystery Man ME in talks for Take Over of town

Apparently Middle East money men to take over town.

To their credit most fans are calling BS but still laughable that it’s getting enough support to gain some traction. Yes they have a great history, but I’m not sure that adds any value to the club besides the metal the trophies can be melted down for.

I’m not sure many investors would be interested in a club that they would have to spend more to buy the land Portman Road is on than for the club itself.

ME has never shown any real interest in putting enough in to get promotion. He seems to have used them pretty much as a tax write off while still taking the interest on his loan every year. The debt of £80 + million is owed to him so I suppose he could stand the loss if someone made him an offer.The danger of course is that a new owner might actively seek to put money in and revitalise their chances. Cue wailing and gnashing of teeth on here if that happens.Its probably all bollocksI hope so[Y]

Evans seemed to be keen to put money in when he first arrived- I think he felt he could invest to get them up swiftly and then either sell on or enjoy the Premier League money.

When that didn''t happen he seemed to lose interest and now loans the club the bare minimum.

Would not surprise me if they get bought. Amazing how many people out there have bought the line that there is nobody out there interested in taking over clubs like ours. If Evans makes them available then someone will buy them and if that does happen then it will be interesting to see what happens to them.

Even if this does turn out to be true, I think the caveat is going to be: who in their right mind would do business with Marcus Evans to purchase an ''asset'' that has been haemorrhaging money year on year? With any luck he''ll sell to someone even less scrupulous than himself, and Ipswich will ''do a Venkys'' or worse...

Similar sized club Nutty, similar geographical location and similar level.

So yes there are similarities. Clearly we are the stronger and better club in many aspects though (not just financial), for now.

[quote user="Redders Right Foot"]I believe they own the stadium, but not the land it sits on. Odd situation but I might be wrong.[/quote]The council own the freehold (land) and the binners have a long lease on it.What is actually owned by the club to ME is listed at around £90m but it has been a bit of a mystery what the exact position is. ME transferred their training ground to an offshore Guernsey company and handed over a million or more over to the club - though cynics might suggest it was no more than a paper exercise ie he didn''t charge them so much that season !Getting rid of ME is their only hope, long term, as he has pretty much stripped the club of anything worth having.It will take a fair bit to get the club and ground back up to scratch - and their ''glorious history'' counts for fark all.So it will be interesting to see who takes on this ''restoration'' project. The Far East ... Wun Fan Dim or the Middle East ..... Ahmed bin Nur

It''s not often rich successful clubs get taken over, so might not be as daft as it sounds. Sunderland owners looking for a buyer as well.