Sign in to follow this  
Mr Jenkins

Zimmermann.....a hero

[quote user="king canary"]Rarely say this but...I agree with Lincoln.

The head tackle only happens because he cocked up in the first place. Yes it was very brave of him but I don''t think mopping up your own mistake makes you a hero.[/quote]

With credit for Zimms bravado and effort, if he''ll need to make many tackles like that, we''ll need a replacement for him rather sooner than later. That said, it''s good to see our crowd behind players.

[quote user="king canary"]Rarely say this but...I agree with Lincoln.

The head tackle only happens because he cocked up in the first place. Yes it was very brave of him but I don''t think mopping up your own mistake makes you a hero.[/quote]You are right KC, he did make the mistake leading up to this but have you ever seen a player so determined to put things right? He did everything humanly possible to make up for it and showed a desperation to recover from a mistake that was amazing.

[quote user=" Badger"][quote user="king canary"]Rarely say this but...I agree with Lincoln.

The head tackle only happens because he cocked up in the first place. Yes it was very brave of him but I don''t think mopping up your own mistake makes you a hero.[/quote]You are right KC, he did make the mistake leading up to this but have you ever seen a player so determined to put things right? He did everything humanly possible to make up for it and showed a desperation to recover from a mistake that was amazing.[/quote]

I’d say it’s more of an indictment to the modern game that this stands out as amazing.

Doing everything possible to put a mistake right should be expected.

Anyway, you could argue that he messed up again letting the player cut inside and ending up on his arse! Fair play to Zim though, it does mate rand that’s good to see.

I did find that wolves opportunity quite amusing actually. Just as the wolves player cuts inside we have Hanley out of nowhere flying through the air on to his arse....then Zim on his arse, diving like a salmon head first towards the ball... it looked like a right comedy! Not sure how we managed to get away with it!

Zimmermann has got a mistake or two in him but it is good to see his determination to get straight back in.

We have lacked players who will die for the cause.

When was the last time anyone saw a player try and head the ball while lying on the ground?  I can''t remember one and Zimmermann showed total bravery in sticking his head in the way of the ball at the feet of an opponent.  Total committment and complete desire to do well for the team.  He is becoming the Grant Holt of the defence.

[quote user=" Badger"][quote user="king canary"]Rarely say this but...I agree with Lincoln.

The head tackle only happens because he cocked up in the first place. Yes it was very brave of him but I don''t think mopping up your own mistake makes you a hero.[/quote]You are right KC, he did make the mistake leading up to this but have you ever seen a player so determined to put things right? He did everything humanly possible to make up for it and showed a desperation to recover from a mistake that was amazing.[/quote]He was also at fault for the first Wolves goal -- which he again put right with real determination, and his head. He embodies the great spirit clearly developing. As DF said after the game, there seemed to be a bit of belief lacking early on which led to our conceding the two goals. Zimmermann''s goal was crucial to our resurrection. Raggett is rightly having to wait for his chance.

Should have put the ball into row z and I’m sure that will be picked up on by the coaching staff today. Superb recovery though and shows the commitment that we haven’t seen from the players since probably the Lambert era.

I think he has improved greatly after a poor start. He now knows you can''t just stand still to head the ball. You have to run towards it in British football or else you are challenged.

I believe Klose may well be gone by next season so with Raggett in the wings I am fairly happy that we would have a young capable back three with Godfrey to come back from injury as well. Zimmerman has been given the responsibility of central of the back three and has responded.

But to be honest, he did make a howler to let the Wolves player in. He did challenge back, which he is supposed to do of course. I think maybe he got away with it because the Wolves player dithered rather than going for goal.

And of course he scored at the other end so his contribution is in the black.

Lincoln. I have big hopes for Raggett too but if you think he isn''t going to have a school boy error or two in him after jumping two divisions your deluded. There needs to a certain amount of perspective on players we are able to bring to this club otherwise there will be stupid amounts of pressure on them.

[quote user="GJP"]Zimmermann has got a mistake or two in him but it is good to see his determination to get straight back in.

We have lacked players who will die for the cause.[/quote]
Yep. I find Lincolns ''jury still out'' comment a little poor, he''s done well this season. But I guess Lee Tomlin''s late equaliser for Forest has really p*ssed him off.

Also, as always with Lincoln, Raggett was always going to be better according to him. Because he''s not playing.

"lake district canary"

When was the last time anyone saw a player try and head the ball while lying on the ground?  I can''t remember one and Zimmermann showed total bravery in sticking his head in the way of the ball at the feet of an opponent.  Total committment and complete desire to do well for the team.  He is becoming the Grant Holt of the defence.

I remember the admiral Nelson doing it. Flat on the floor blocking the shot with his head. Not the greatest defender but his commitment was first rate and that is why I always liked him.

When you step back and look at the highlights, the real hero of the moment was Chris Goreham.

That commentary was pure class. Never laughed so hard.

[quote user="hogesar"]Also, as always with Lincoln, Raggett was always going to be better according to him. Because he''s not playing.[/quote]

You really enjoy trying to be antagonistic, don’t you!

I believe Raggett will be better, yes. Why would that have anything to do with the fact he is not playing?

I’ve seen Raggett play on a few occasions, and I’m excited about the propesepct of him playing.

You decided to ignore the fact I said I don’t currently advocate Zim being dropped for him. My point was more that Zim does have his flaws, and therefore giving Raggett his chance at some stage this season wouldn’t be unfair.

In the last three games Zim has made 3 glaring mistakes, 2 of which led to clear goal scoring opportunities, the other 1 led to a goal. Therefore my ‘Jury out’ comment is justified.

@Hogesar

"Yep. I find Lincolns ''jury still out'' comment a little poor, he''s done well this season. But I guess Lee Tomlin''s late equaliser for Forest has really p*ssed him off."

I get you and Lincoln don''t get along but he''s entitled to a different opinion on a player to you.

I''m still not 100% on Zimmerman as he reminds me quite a bit of a Bassong type- excellent for 85 minutes but good for one or two big errors a game.

He''s one of those ''cult hero'' type players that fans get attached to because he gives it his all and looks like he really cares which sometimes masks poor play.

Don''t get me wrong, I like him and he''s very much out performed my expectations this season but he''s easily the weakest of our back three.

The error was brought about by a poor ball back to him, so while yes, it was a mistake, it was not entirely his fault, having ben put under severe pressure by the short ball.   The playing the ball around at the back is fine if it is done well, but putting a poor ball like that back to someone who is the last man back is asking for trouble.  I suppose he could have booted it into touch, but at least it led to one of the best moments of the match.   Also he scored the first goal, so overall his contribution to the result of the match was absolutely key. 

[quote user="king canary"]@Hogesar

"Yep. I find Lincolns ''jury still out'' comment a little poor, he''s done well this season. But I guess Lee Tomlin''s late equaliser for Forest has really p*ssed him off."

I get you and Lincoln don''t get along but he''s entitled to a different opinion on a player to you. [/quote]
Of course he is but it''s hard to take seriously, or with much credit when he''s been proven as a Reading fan. It''s also hard to take seriously considering he spends 99% of his time on this forum criticising the club, the board, the management, the staff and the players. Most balanced people would consider that for the fee and what we''ve paid that Zimmerman has been an excellent signing.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="king canary"]@Hogesar

I get you and Lincoln don''t get along but he''s entitled to a different opinion on a player to you. [/quote]
Of course he is but it''s hard to take seriously, or with much credit when he''s been proven as a Reading fan. It''s also hard to take seriously considering he spends 99% of his time on this forum criticising the club, the board, the management, the staff and the players. Most balanced people would consider that for the fee and what we''ve paid that Zimmerman has been an excellent signing.
[/quote]^This

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="king canary"]@Hogesar

[/quote]

The usual nonsense from you. Your discrediting what I say because I’m a Reading fan? Even though you know I’m not? Your completely agenda driven, which discredits the majority of that you type.

It''s not about value for money, it''s about ability and worth to the team.  It doesn''t matter if a player costs 500,000 or 50 million, it is what they do on the pitch that matters.  So he made a mistake under severe pressure - he will learn from that - but he rectified it in the best possible way.  Funny not many people have mentioned his goal either, which was an excellent finish.  I guess some people like to focus on the negatives.

You don''t need to be the perfect player to be a hero.

The passion and spirit that he displays is a fine example to everyone and this shows in the results when he plays.

Farke has said Zim is in bits when we lose.

Nobody is faultless but his attidude is priceless.

[quote user="curious yellow"]You don''t need to be the perfect player to be a hero.

The passion and spirit that he displays is a fine example to everyone and this shows in the results when he plays.

Farke has said Zim is in bits when we lose.

Nobody is faultless but his attidude is priceless.[/quote]hear hearAnd maybe if we had had that sort of spirit right through the team last season we might just now be in the PL"If I wasn’t willing to put my body on the line I would have no chance to play here for this club. "That''s how the ethos at the club has changed - and a welcome change it is