Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

Stephen Fry

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]Good to see how well Stephen Fry handled the disclosure of the discovery and subsequent treatment of his prostate cancer.I''m sure we all wish him well.[/quote]Yes. And with the good wishes a mental note (for male posters) to have the relevant annual blood test.

Had the same op last April.

My life, which became immediately worse as the cancer spread, was changed by the brilliant NHS and the people who work within it.

I have a tiny, manageable, bit left and have my own website, supplied by the NHS, where my surgeon, my nurses and myself can communicate daily and my blood results trigger immediate action if needed.

To this end, I am cycling from London to Amsterdam in June, raising funds on behalf of the Prostate Cancer Charity and attached to NCFC.

I implore any of you guys who are having trouble raising it, peeing or seeing signs of blood to book an appointment now. And if you are over 50, have a PSA test as a matter of course as you may not have immediate signs as Stephen Fry didn''t either. Apart from peeing poorly, I didn''t feel as if anything was wrong with me but I had a close call.

We can all be around till we are 90, years and years of watching City, if we look after ourselves and don''t ignore what is a very common disease among middle to late aged men.

Best wishes for a full recovery Stephen.

Pleased to see this thread and well done to Stephen for dealing with his ill health in such a composed way.

When the figures were released a few weeks ago drawing attention to the fact that prostrate cancer in men had overtaken breast cancer in women it prompted me to ask for a psa test as reassurance. This is something all men over 50 should be offered on an annual basis and should not be something you have to request.

It’s a simple blood test, nothing to be embarrassed about!

The PSA is a blood test that is a useful guide if the result is a high number.

However, when I had my first one, it was 4 and a doctor friend said that they wouldn''t have done a thing unless it was at least 10.

But my doctor referred me and a resulting biopsy revealed a Gleason score that was not high and appeared to be on one side of the prostate.

And as with SF, if it remains within the Prostate capsule, it can be watched.

But if it migrates then you could be in trouble. No man really dies of Prostate cancer. He dies because it has migrated in the lymph nodes or bones or other organs.

Mine started to migrate and they had to remove the gland, lymph nodes, nerves etc. But that saved my life. A friend of mine wasn''t pushy enough to get better treatment while he had it and one test had a PSA of under 8 and the next was 210 and he died a fortnight later.

Please don''t be afraid to be pushy with your GP. They may tell you that it is an expensive blood test but that is bull.

We want as many City supporters around till they are

centurions at least.Financially, the NHS would be better off if they removed our Prostate''s. My operation cost the NHS £5K. If I live to 80+ that cost will have been exceeded by consultations, biopsies etc.