Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Really good performance

Thought the first half in particular we saw Farkes style at probably its best all season. Dominated with 80% possession but as soon as we pulled them around and created gaps we sped up the movement of the ball and played a lot of one touch passes.

Created several clear chances. We cant afford to miss the amount we are missing at home. Simply have to be more clinical.

Really positive despite the result that the philosophy and work from Farke and his coaches is paying off and hopefully we will see the real benefits next season.

Other small note, crazy how the championship has changed. How Bolton had no intention of trying to win a game against us, currently in midtable is crazy. Keeping it in the corner from 84 minutes. Wouldnt have happened 10 years ago!

First half was good. Although it takes about 15minutes for us to get to ball to the halfway line. Farke has definitely worked hard getting our players to keep the ball. Today’s game sums up our season. The game should have been over at halftime.

A season of could have been

Still, feeling more confident that we can make top 6 next season.

First half yes, second half no.

Everything we were doing right we just seemed to stop doing. We probably gave Bolton one of their easiest halves of football when we should have already been out of sight.

Little movement, little width, playing balls to feet with back to goal - very similar to first half v Ipswich. Did the Bolton keeper have anything to do 2nd half?

Agree about Bolton’s tactics, but they are scrapping for their lives to stay up - it was up to us to break them down but we simply didn’t do anywhere near enough in the 2nd half

Unfortunately the second half becomes even more diffocult for us by simply not taking the clear obvious chances in the first half.

Certainly looks like we’ll finish just south of halfway. Hats off to Farke, a considerable managerial achievement. God help is next season minus Maddison and Gunn. What a fiasco.

I certainly don''t see the optimism for next season.

If we don''t score goals then we have no right to believe that next will be any better in terms of results. It isn''t just the players that are stifling scoring chances. It is the tactics.

Why do so many assume next season will be better? It is just hope not based on any logic.

My assumption is Maddison will be gone, probably Klose too. And the rest do look much of a muchness.

And unless someone can persuade or assure me we will be bringing in better players than we have right now, then I see next being very similar.

First half we should have come in 2 or 3 up and it was the best I''ve seen us play going forward at times. Second half we didn''t threaten and the spectacle of watching Gunn, Hanley and Zimmerman pass to each other outside our own box deep into injury time was laughable.

First half was very good. Second half too many took it easy. Thought Maddison and Lewis were quite lazy. Josh was just rubbish. Hernandez looked knackered.

Came out of N & N after 2 weeks in hospital to witness another negative game where the Bolton keeper had 2 shots on target to save. Probably the worst seasons football at CR this century.

Where the optimism comes from for next season amazes me.

Still I''m still alive and hope for the best

You could see Maddison getting more and more frustrated as the game went on.

What I didn''t understand was brining on Srebny but playing the exact same type of football. At that point we had two bigger strikers up top, yet rather than going a bit more direct, or looking to put crosses in, we just kept with the same short passing that hadn''t worked all second half. We got too narrow and played into Boltons hands.

One half of football doesn’t make a really good performance. Should have been out of sight by half time. Second half was poor.

I’m also not understanding the posts about being optimistic for next season? If we were entering next season with this group of players and a summer window to sort out the goal scoring issues then yes, I’d fancy us. But this summer is likely to be another rebuild after we lose the most talented players from the group.

Good performances don’t win you points unless you actually score. Our home matches this season have been on the whole dull and lifeless encounters, and even worse than Hughton’s tenure.

Considering where we''ve been for the last 20 years or so, it''s a "hats off" from me to Webber and Farke. They''ve turned around a mammoth decline in a matter of months.Even if we see more departures (largely because of prior mistakes and mismanagement), why would anyone expect more at this stage?

Turned around a massive decline? Really?

Aren’t we lower in the table, having scored less goals, with a squad that has lost a lot of quality?

I’m not criticising as they are working in unique circumstances, but at the same time not really sure you can say they have turned around a huge decline?

Len, I don''t see how being 14th in the 2nd tier with no chance of promotion and 1/4 of the season still remaining, having a negative goal difference and averaging only a goal a game, is sorting out any kind of decline. I''d say this is by far the worst position we''ve been in since relegation to league 1 10 years ago.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Turned around a massive decline? Really?

Aren’t we lower in the table, having scored less goals, with a squad that has lost a lot of quality?

I’m not criticising as they are working in unique circumstances, but at the same time not really sure you can say they have turned around a huge decline?[/quote]Compared to the glory years of the late 80s to early 90s we''ve been in overall decline (even after accounting for the different eras).I was one of the few who expected us to do well this season, and I expect we''ll have a sustained period of success if Webber stays (or else we continue with the current model).

[quote user="Clint"]Len, I don''t see how being 14th in the 2nd tier with no chance of promotion and 1/4 of the season still remaining, having a negative goal difference and averaging only a goal a game, is sorting out any kind of decline. I''d say this is by far the worst position we''ve been in since relegation to league 1 10 years ago.[/quote]We''re above where we''d expect to be given that we needed to replace so many players, and with a better manager than we would normally expect to have.Looking at the signings, the way we are playing and the general blueprint we have for going forward, I''m looking forward to good times ahead. The goals will come!

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]I certainly don''t see the optimism for next season.

If we don''t score goals then we have no right to believe that next will be any better in terms of results. It isn''t just the players that are stifling scoring chances. It is the tactics.

Why do so many assume next season will be better? It is just hope not based on any logic.

My assumption is Maddison will be gone, probably Klose too. And the rest do look much of a muchness.

And unless someone can persuade or assure me we will be bringing in better players than we have right now, then I see next being very similar.[/quote]My reasons for optimism are quite simple and I fully accept that they are based on optimism generated by the fact that Farke/Webber have demonstrated already both that they can bring in potentially very good players at little or no cost and that Farke is a very capable coach who has vastly improved our Achilles heel of last season, i.e. the defence, and also strengthened the midfield considerably.Of course we''re not the finished article and scoring goals is definitely an issue but based on what we''ve seen this season so far I''m pretty optimistic that this will be resolved in the summer, if Srbeny doesn''t fix it before then. I don''t want to propose Nelson as the new official scapegoat because on his day he''s great and he''s a player I''d be happy to keep in the squad but I''ve never believed he would be the consistent 20 goal a season striker we need for promotion and his inconsistency has certainly cost us this season. So as things stand we need to add a striker in the summer, or two if Srbeny doesn''t make the grade. But if Webber can turn up the striking equivalent to a Zimmerman, Trybull, Leitner or Vrancic then we''ll be fine.Maddison may go, which would be a shame because he''s a great talent but if we get what his worth I''m not sure it would be a disaster. Yes, in a low scoring season he''s scored a few vital goals for us but there have been a lot of games, today included, where he''s had a very little impact - the fact that he gets very little protection from the muppets who referee the Championship doesn''t help but our current midfield contains enough quality for a top six finish even without him.Klose, I think will stay, but again even if he doesn''t Zimmerman and Hanley are proving to be great signings, and looking better by the game and Raggett hopefully has great potential.So I''m unashamedly feeling positive about next season.

I suppose the problem is I was looking at only the performance. Not the result. I understand some fans on here cant do that. And thats not a dig, because its a result based business.

But because im not really looking at the playoffs and am more interested at watching the results from the work put in by Farke etc come to fruition and watching patterns of play as well as gaining a better understanding what they''re trying to achieve, I guess thats why.

And it doesnt escape me that had Leitner scored his one on one, Hanley scored his free header, Murphy scored his one on one, or Maddisons shot been inside the post rather than against it, the talk on here would be painfully different and so would the second half in general.

I share Farkes frustration because we cut through a stubborn Bolton in the first half playing our style despite them sitting deep. Unfortunately every clear miss of ours gives the opposition a boost, they gain in confidence and it becomes harder.

I think Oliviera is playing better but despite that we desperately need a goalscorer. I agree with what Cedric Anselin said on the way back on Canary Call that Nelson probably isnt a natural goalscorer and last season was a bit of a fluke and the rest of his career backs that up.

Murphy struggled but hopefully Hernandez will add a bit to our strike force as the season goes on.

@creative midfielder

Ironically, considering your username, you''re massively underselling Maddison''s contribution this season. He''s been consistently the most creative player in the team by a country mile, the games where he has had ''very little impact'' are few and far between.

I wouldn''t say more direct VW, but what we did do, particularly in the first half is move the ball around as we usually do, but whenever there was a slight split in Boltons midfield we stepped the speed of passing up, reduced the amount of touches and increased movement. Hence we created more than in other home games.