Sign in to follow this  
RustysRevenge

The Barclay Stand

Never noticed this before but walking from Morrisons towards CR today I happened to look up to see a sign saying ''CORAL PROUD SPONSORS OF THE BARCLAY STAND'' When did the Barclay End become the Barclay Stand?

"I was borrrrn, under the Barclay Stand, I was borrrrn under the Barclay Stand, boots were made for kicking, guns were made to shoot, if you come under the Barclay Stand, we''ll all stick in the boot"

I think you''ll find it has been called the Barclay end since the late 30''s after initially being called the Railway end!

Barclay was a director of the club I believe!

The River end has always been the River end since I were lad. That signified both the terraces and that half of the groundWhereas the Barclay is usually referred to as just the Barclay ie''Kicking off toward the Barclay or .. the River End'' I suppose in this case it is whether you are talking about the ''construction'', or the part of the pitch

I thought the Doors had The End.

I have researched nearly every reference, on the internet, to the Barclay and it is called any one of three.

Barclay, Barclay Stand and Barclay End.

No matter what the club calls it, most organisations associated with it, call it the Barclay End

River end,Barclay end,main stand,and south stand.

If I meet someone of a similar age to me (let''s call me ''middle aged'') and I say ''where do you sit?'', they''ll invariably say "In the Barclay" (no ''End'', or ''Stand'').

And I think I''m right in saying the stadium announcers used to refer to it as ''The Barclay'' before the pre-kick off countdown to ''On The Ball City''.

[quote user="kingsway"]I think you''ll find it has been called the Barclay end since the late 30''s after initially being called the Railway end!

Barclay was a director of the club I believe![/quote]

The Barclay

Looking towards The Barclay from The Jarrold Stand.

The Barclay is named after Captain Evelyn Barclay, a former

vice-president of the club, who donated the cost of roofing the original

stand.[34] This was built in 1937.This link says it was previously called The Station End.https://web.archive.org/web/20091208052006/http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/History/0%2C%2C10355~1023784%2C00.htmlOnly

the Main Stand was covered at this stage. Two seasons later the Station

End was covered, thanks to the generosity of Captain Evelyn Barclay and

the Barclay Stand was christened.
If ever the atmosphere went a bit flat the Barclay would sing ''Sing up the River End'' and the River End would reply ''Sing up the Barclay''.

[quote user="Inch High aka Inchy.."]River end,Barclay end,main stand,and south stand.[/quote]Note: The South Stand was not named after Sir Arthur contrary to popular mythology. [:)]

Just because I had A spare five minutes, I had a google.

Doesn’t seem to be definitive answer.

It’s commonly referred to as just the Barclay, the Barclay Stand, the Barclay End and also the Barclay End Stand.

I want a model of it...

http://www.modelfootballstadiums.com/gallery/

Is as much the context as what scans."I was born under a Barclay...... needs another word so logically you would be under a stand"The roof would be a stand ie the Barclay StandTerritorial as in terracing has always been ''the Barclay'' as in the Kop - never stand or end. though Arsenal ad the North Bank so maybe we could have had ...............Pitch reference is almost always Barclay or Barclay end - but never, ever the Coral sponsored stand

The real debate is the Main Stand. Some refer to it as the City Stand, others the Geoffrey Watling Stand(a few)Personally I prefer the Wensum Stand (with it''s fine views of the Cathedral) 

Watford''s home support has mainly been housed in the Rookery End since the 70s and their version of ''Wand''rin'' Star'' starts

''I was born under the Rookery Roof'' which seems more logical to me as most people are born under a roof. Being born under a stand seems to me to imply being born underground 😳

........ if you come down to the Barclay end we''ll all stick in the boot