Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Murphy.......

Hairy

"We don''t look to catch teams on the break, we don''t look to cross the ball and we don''t play the ball long into space because our mantra is to keep possession and work openings.

He can play in this way but he won''t shine like he might do with a different style of play"

Yes, we are not playing to his strengths and in fairness to him he is not the "complete footballer"

who can seamlessly adapt to a range of different styles of play, he has considerable strengths but also weaknesses, asking him to change his style of play is fair enough, but it won''t get the best out of him. He should consider a move imo.

I’ve always said him and his brother are overrated and I’m being proved right.

On their day, both capable of an outstanding individual performance. . But there in lays the problem, both players play too individually (josh much more so), and therefore it’s hard to integrate them into a team system.

Too many times moves break down when the ball is played out to Josh Murphy. He’s one dimensional and lacks a footballing brain. He’s an average player at this level. Absolutely nothing more.

Josh has developed into a solid squad player at this level. The disappointment stems from the fact lots of us thought he could be so much more.

While we''re in the Championship I''m more than happy with him being in the squad. Who knows, it might click for him at some point in the next year or two (some players are late bloomers) but right now he''s an occasional stater or bench option.

It doesn''t helped that we were blessed with some real talent in the wide areas in recent years with Redmond, Snodgrass and Jacob who all received OTT criticism. Our expectation on wide players within some of our fanbase seems to be if they''re not Huckerby they''re not good enough.
Josh is a good player at this level but he''s certainly not a prem player. Since wingers are so up and down in form it''d only take one good season such as what Jacob had last season for him to get a prem team to take a gamble on him, though.

@Hogesar

That has long been a bugbear of mine- fans seem to think wingers should be meeting their man every time they have the ball and moan if they don''t.

Josh often seems to play better away from home which strongly suggests he''s not lacking in bottle. I think at home against packed defences he rarely has enough space to get into positions that can hurt the opposition. Hernandez looks to be a player with physical attributes more suited to these types of games.

Among other no doubt "over-rated" players, Josh has been included in this season''s Carabao Cup "Team of the Competition", sharing the honour of leading goal scorer in the competition. Well done Josh. 

Josh has developed into a solid squad player at this level. The disappointment stems from the fact lots of us thought he could be so much more.

That is the best comment so far, in my opinion.

In fairness, I think he can still offer more. Does all the hard work but lacks end product, I''m sure that can be worked on

[quote user="king canary"]@Hogesar

That has long been a bugbear of mine- fans seem to think wingers should be meeting their man every time they have the ball and moan if they don''t.[/quote]
It''s been a bit of a problem with our fans and wide players. The amount of stick Redmond got was ridiculous, especially in the championship where it was evident he was far too good for that league. Saying that, he could well be playing in it again next season!