Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Murphy.......

I think he lacks bottle. That’s sometimes the difference between a decent player and an outstanding one.

It was quite clear on Sunday that he seemed to never be up for a 50/50 ball. If he is tackled hard early on in the game, that’s it. Alway then seem to hold back. Certainly not suited to a Derby game.

Good thing he does not get the roughest treatment that Maddison get every week.

Am I alone in my criticism, or do others see this as a problem in his overall game?

No i dont think thats the issue, i think he has brittle confidence, he looks like a player who we''re just waiting to click into gear and play to the level we all know he can. The big question will be how long we can wait.

He has a lot of qualities to be a huge football star except that he lacks some football understanding and decision making. And that is maybe the most important one.

If he is to be a big football star he have to show his potential in the Championship. Jacob Murphy has gone as far he can. Maximum middle table team in the Premier League. Not sure if Josh can go as far as that. He have to move to a PL club soon or he will fade out as a Championship player. A player who shows glimpses of a great player and stand out almost every game is James Maddison. It is easy to see he has great football understanding and taking a lot of good decision making during games. If Norwich don’t get promoted he will move on to greater things. A player taking responsibilty backwards and also has the x-factor going forward. Maddison is on a higher level compared to both the Murphy twins I think

On Sunday Murphy seems to be a second behind everybody else. Would happily see Hernandez start tonight to take Murphy out of the firing line - we did it earlier this season and it seemed to have a positive effect on him.

Been really inconsistent all season - he''s also one of the reasons Oliviera (and Jerome) have struggled for goals this season - when he manages to beat his man the final ball is often smashed across the box without much thought.

I know people love him because he''s ''one of our own'' but he hasn''t really developed enough from when he was in the youth team - time to drop him for Hernandez and make him fight to win back his place.

To be fair he was up against probably the only sc*m player apart from mcGoldrick who has impressed me in the last decade in that Carter Vickers who i thought was very impressive.

Thankfully he''s not theirs but is on loan from Spurs I believe. Could be worth an approach for a season long loan next season although we might have tio play Edwards a bit first during the remainder of this season!

I think he now has had plenty of chances and really hasn''t delivered or developed as we would have hoped, I too think he lacks bottle and Hernandez now should be given a chance

Perhaps it is time to give Josh a break and stick him on the bench, he has had a decent run of games without really firing on all cylinders. Ya, Hernandez has had a few weeks to get into DFs training regime, maybe the right time to give him a go. Would be hard to drop Josh from the matchday 18 though, such is City''s weekly need to comply with the 7 homegrown players rule.

Josh seems far too tentative - a disastrous trait in any walk of life! He rarely wins a flick-on header or challenge around the half-way line & I''ve lost count of the times that once disposed,(and typically within one or two opposition passes) we find ourselves defending our own box.

Time to field alternative options; Onel Hernandez, Marcus Edwards & even Matt Jarvis will be breathing down his neck shortly...

Murphy simply lacks belief in himself.

NCFC need to get him to see a football shrink if they are to get the best out of him as high level sport is 5% ability and 95% mental.

Murphy can be missing for 88 minutes of a game and still get on the scoresheet somehow. Hes done it earlier this season. That said, I do partly blame the system and his ability to go missing for the lack of chances created at times this season. Sunday he offered virtually nothing.

Along with most people we are all eager to see what Hernandez can offer and I''m quite excited at the prospect of him getting game time! I''d happily play him and the new striker tonight for the unknown factor against a very tough Wolves.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]To be fair he was up against probably the only sc*m player apart from mcGoldrick who has impressed me in the last decade in that Carter Vickers who i thought was very impressive.

Thankfully he''s not theirs but is on loan from Spurs I believe. Could be worth an approach for a season long loan next season although we might have tio play Edwards a bit first during the remainder of this season![/quote]

Agree with you on Carter-Vickers. Here in Sheff, the Blades had him on loan first part of season and since his departure their season has started to meander - certainly last night they had no steel in defence. If Marcus Edwards turns out to be a no hoper, perhaps ask Spuds for C-V, if Klose does depart?

Yesterday’s game was again further evidence that my original post was correct.

Most moves when he received the ball broke down.

Takes far to long too realease the ball. Decision making takes to long.

Rarely uses his main asset, his speed, these days

[quote user="Bradwell canary"]Yesterday’s game was again further evidence that my original post was correct.

Most moves when he received the ball broke down.

Takes far to long too realease the ball. Decision making takes to long.

Rarely uses his main asset, his speed, these days[/quote]Josh''s struggling is a reflection of how seriously opposition teams view the threat he poses to them. 

Care to explain that?

I’m not sure how being lack of final ball, being caught on his heels, being brushed off the ball by the slightest breeze, rarely being able to take a player on and consistently making poor decisions has anything to do with how the other team views him?

Interestingly somebody who sits in front of remarked that both Murphy and Lewis have similar builds, but there is no comparison to their strength. You rarely see Lewis beaten for strength yet Murphy is brushed of the ball almost every time

No end product and gives away possession far too easily. Better if he was on the bench and used as an impact sub late in the match

A frustrating enigma. Capable of good and poor things probably a luxury player who we should move on if we get a decent offer but after this season and Jacobs performance at Newcastle don''t expect big money

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Care to explain that?

I’m not sure how being lack of final ball, being caught on his heels, being brushed off the ball by the slightest breeze, rarely being able to take a player on and consistently making poor decisions has anything to do with how the other team views him?

Interestingly somebody who sits in front of remarked that both Murphy and Lewis have similar builds, but there is no comparison to their strength. You rarely see Lewis beaten for strength yet Murphy is brushed of the ball almost every time[/quote]
To be fair Lewis is generally up against winning a defensive battle against a nippy winger or similar. Murphy is typically trying to win an offensive battle against a bigger, stronger full back or CB.

Josh is seldom faced only by "a bigger, stronger full back or CB". Teams counter pace by defence in numbers, crowding the player out. Obviously his developing greater body strength would be a good thing (and almost certainly the coaches are working with him on that); lack of confidence accounts for most of his current "failings" and that is down to teams setting out to nullify his threat. 

He hasn''t been great the second half of the season has he. Was quite useful in the first half of season though. We have nothing to lose now by starting Hernandez for the next few games now, be good for Josh to have a bit of competition.

Wildschut was shipped out because of less than satisfactory performances. Josh is doing no better and Hernandez had a decent enough first half showing to make me think he could take his place.

Murphy is playing in a formation that doesn''t suit him, with tactics that don''t suit him. He looks totally frustrated and devoid of confidence. He has done enough previously to prove that he can be a very good player.

However, just like Nelson, Jerome, Wes, Watkins, Vrancic, Yanic etc, he has struggled to make any kind of impact this season. All of our forwards have had a poor season in comparison to last and I expect the same will happen to Dennis and Onel.

The only forward thinking player to have a decent season is Madders but almost every attack goes through him and he takes all of our set pieces. Even then, he''s had some pretty ineffective matches amongst the great ones.

The thing with Josh is he has an asset few in the current squad have - pace. But we seldom use that with a simple ball over the top for him to run on to. As said our current system and in particular the slow build play doesn''t suit him. He''s not very good with his back to goal and is frustratingly weak.Josh is one of our own so I''d love him to succeed but that might require change in our style to suit which at the moment Farke doesn''t seem inclined to do. I feel for him a bit and he must be a bit peeved that his brother had one good season that earned him a lucrative Premiership deal, whereas Josh seems always to swimming against the tide. A move away might be the best for him which would be a shame really.

[quote user="Clint"]Murphy is playing in a formation that doesn''t suit him, with tactics that don''t suit him.[/quote]Sorry, but I think that is nonsense. If the requirement of the new regime is that players play in a certain way, then it is up to those players to adapt and make it work - as Oliveira seems to have done recently.   I would have no time for players who can''t or won''t adapt and surely Murphy has had enough time to learn what is required. We need players that are completely integrated in the way of things, those that aren''t up to it will soon be shown the door. If he can''t fit in and deliver what is required on a more regular basis, he will get shipped out in the continuing development that is taking place.  I would rather he stayed and showed what gumption he has, but I''ve not seen much in the games I''ve seen.  It''s up to him.

I''m not sure how my statement is nonesense LDC as you appear to agree that''s he playing in a formation that doesn''t suit him with tactics that don''t suit him, just you go on to say that he hasn''t adapted to it yet?

I''m not entirely sure it''s as easy as that. If he''s being asked to perform a role that he''s not suited too, he''s going to struggle to adapt. He can''t just gain qualities that he doesn''t have. It''s not all about gumption as you put it.

[quote user="Clint"]I''m not sure how my statement is nonesense LDC as you appear to agree that''s he playing in a formation that doesn''t suit him with tactics that don''t suit him, just you go on to say that he hasn''t adapted to it yet?

I''m not entirely sure it''s as easy as that. If he''s being asked to perform a role that he''s not suited too, he''s going to struggle to adapt. He can''t just gain qualities that he doesn''t have. It''s not all about gumption as you put it.[/quote]Nonsense may be a bit harsh, but I think he has every skill to be able to play in any way he wants - but it is about him learning to adapt that ability to what is needed.    He''s old enough and had enough experience now, to be able to sort it out.  Gumption is an old fashioned word maybe - but to me it means he has to toughen up a bit.

It''s quite amazing that, if he is playing so poorly, as so many seem to think, that the manager still picks him.

Perhaps the manager is as aware, as the opposition seems to be, of the qualities and threat that Josh poses because if he was as poor as so many think he wouldn''t even get a spot on the bench.

Having said that I must admit I was hoping for a bit more!

It''s nothing to do with adapting. Everyone has different strengths some which suit our way of playing and some that don''t. Murphy has good pace and is a decent finisher. His strengths suit the ball in behind to run on to and getting crosses in. He''s

particularly suited to catching teams on the break.

We don''t look to catch teams on the break, we don''t look to cross the ball and we don''t play the ball long into space because our mantra is to keep possession and work openings.

He can play in this way but he won''t shine like he might do with a different style of play