Sign in to follow this  

Message not broad enough

I notice today that Kick It Out have launched an advert where leading players are asking for people in the game to stop the "banter" that hurts. And the publishing of an app that will allow people to report any abuse anonymously.

Football probably is the last bastion of ignorant bigots who can huddle together to search for a brain cell.

Lets not be holier than thou, those of us old enough anyway, and admit that we heard it and laughed. Thing is,It just isn''t funny anymore.

But I do think that in the current age, there should not be any fear for someone to admit they are LGBT. And I do wonder why the gay men that are playing professional football haven''t come out to support the heterosexual players who are offering their support to them?

For the majority of the world, someones sexuality is not important and quite frankly not an issue anymore.

So why bring it up then ? If someone comes to the game, sits next to me and supports the team, why would they feel the need to tap me on the shoulder and tell me they’re gay ?

So why bring it up then ? If someone comes to the game, sits next to me and supports the team, why would they feel the need to tap me on the shoulder and tell me they’re gay ?

Kick It Out are talking about player abuse not spectators.

There are plenty of LGBT footballers currently playing and their identity is often a bit of an open secret among team mates and the media. Largely the reason they don’t come out openly is they are focusing on their careers as a footballer and don’t want to be known as ‘the gay footballer’.

I don’t think many are particularly afraid of abuse from players/fans but feel they could do without the additional scrutiny and attention being such a pioneer would bring with it.

The term pioneer is interesting Bethnal. Cyrille Regis recent death sparked conversations about pioneer Black footballers.

Being black is obvious but gay isn''t. Those early black players just couldn''t escape the taunting and abuse. And through their determination and ability, I do believe racism is not too evident in life or football any more, although I live in Cornwall which is not high density living.

Our own Justin Fashanu must have suffered on two counts being black and gay. But it has been a long time since he announced that he was gay and I just think the longer the problem is left, the more difficult it becomes.

On the other hand, it shouldn''t be a problem nowadays, and certainly not news if someone comes out so maybe Kick It Out aren''t doing them any favours by highlighting it.

I think it’s strange, if it’s an open secret among other footballers, that nothing has come out yet-footballers aren’t usually know for their discretion!

A lot of Kick It Out’s work is aimed at the lower levels of football, especially the Sunday Leagues were there are more issues with racism and abuse due to the lower levels of scrutiny.

I feel the whole noise around a player coming out is so hyped up now that it would take an incredible brave individual to do it while still playing. Tabloids have done front page stories about the rumour that a player might even be considering coming out in public.

I think when it eventually happens then a group of players will do it together in order to help dilute the massive amount of attention it will generate. It might also help lessen the abuse if there are several players rather than one individual target.

You only have to look at one of the other threads on this board to see the abuse players will get for being perceived to be less ‘manly’ than tradition dictates.

On the contrary STFU, footballers are incredibly discreet and

rarely talk about each other’s private lives or even what happens within training grounds. Despite rivalries on the pitch they have a great loyalty to each other off it - stories about players’ personal lives always come from those outside the game.

There have also been several people attempting to sell ‘kiss and tell’ stories about same sex relationships with footballers, but newspapers won’t touch them with a barge pole unless the player ‘outs’ himself first (another reason many are reluctant).

There are always bullies; the problem is many of them have now decided to become cultural Marxists, Virtue Signallers or selectively offended because there is more control to be had and more currency to be gained from issues, ''ists and ''isms.

Unless a fair minded and balanced approach is taken intolerance will fester and finally resurface.

The biggest offenders are those at the top: politically, monetarily, celebrity etc etc.

I honestly believe that at a grass roots level while some people are genuinely ignorant most people rub along well with those whom they know and don''t preach about it.

The Neymar thread shows the small minded fans up in our fan base and is why a player would probably never feel comfortable discussing the matters discussed.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]The Neymar thread shows the small minded fans up in our fan base and is why a player would probably never feel comfortable discussing the matters discussed.[/quote]
I think that''s a little over the top.

Football fans in general always seem a bit ''behind the curve'' so to speak.

You can see it every time someone mentions ''proud canaries'' - without fail a bunch of the same people come out with ''why do gay people need their own fan group, how does your sexuality matter when you''re supporting a football team?'' Usually from the same type of folks who complain about having gay people ''shoving it in their faces'' (Lolz) when they a gay couple kiss but have no such issues with straight people doing similar.

Never understood the need for gay people to "come out". Non gay people don''t feel the need to say their not gay so why all the fuss. Makes no difference to me which side you bat for and to be honest I don''t really want to know about it.

[quote user="king canary"]Football fans in general always seem a bit ''behind the curve'' so to speak.

You can see it every time someone mentions ''proud canaries'' - without fail a bunch of the same people come out with ''why do gay people need their own fan group, how does your sexuality matter when you''re supporting a football team?'' Usually from the same type of folks who complain about having gay people ''shoving it in their faces'' (Lolz) when they a gay couple kiss but have no such issues with straight people doing similar.[/quote]
True. Personally I don''t even pass comment on it. I have absolutely zero interest and if it helps them in one way or another then fantastic.

True. Personally I don''t even pass comment on it. I have absolutely zero interest and if it helps them in one way or another then fantastic.

That was one of the reasons I started the topic.

Being gay is no longer an issue so why have Kick It Out made it one? If the players don''t want to discuss it then it can''t be important enough to worry about.

I have never called Ipswich fans Scum. That is an awful word. It is like Scab in the TU movement. Why would I? I don''t know them and bear them no malice. I call their football team the Binners from time to tome but that is as malicious as it gets.

Ok I’m going to be slightly controversial, whilst I don’t wish anyone any malice I wouldn’t want two blokes to have a full on snog in front of me at a match. Having said that it’s not like you see any couple having a passionate moment, we’re there to watch the match after all 😀

I think any couple having a full on snog need reminding where they are.

I am a great believer that certain things remain private and are not for displaying.

I understand where FF is coming from though. I remember my wife saying that a babysitter we were going to use in the early seventies was gay. At first I said no. My problem was I couldn''t differentiate between gay and paedophile. The bloke couldn''t have been more nicer and ideal as a babysitter.

I’m sure we are all open minded enough to not consider it a problem but that also indicates that we’re “closed-eared” about it too.

I doubt any of us would have to strain our ears particularly hard to hear examples, intentional or not, of what could be perceived as homophobia in a football ground. And, even if you don’t hear it, then I guarantee that there are still people that think that way. Just like racists no longer shout the n word or chuck bananas for fear of recrimination, homophobes don’t shout faggot, ponce or whatever.

However, if the thought is there, if they say those things to their mate next to them or at home with the wife, then they’re still homophobic. Just like the bloke who only calls black players lazy or shyte or perhaps decide that he can’t pass water despite having one of the highest pass completion rates in the league.

So I guess it’s more about continued education and further increasing awareness. Making sure the next generation of fans don’t think that singling out players based on any perceived difference is acceptable.

It’s better than it has ever been but it hasn’t been eradicated. Some fans of my generation grew up with chants about Bradford, Brighton, Graeme Le Saux, the Watford chairman and joined in without a thought because they had no concept of it being anything but “bantz”.

I don’t think that will be the case for my kids generation just as chucking bananas wasn’t acceptable when I was my sons age but was commonplace in my Dads day.

Keeping it high profile can only help and so I don’t really see an issue with it.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]I think any couple having a full on snog need reminding where they are.

I am a great believer that certain things remain private and are not for displaying.

I understand where FF is coming from though. I remember my wife saying that a babysitter we were going to use in the early seventies was gay. At first I said no. My problem was I couldn''t differentiate between gay and paedophile. The bloke couldn''t have been more nicer and ideal as a babysitter.[/quote]i''m glad that you recognise it was (is?) your problemIf there are any other problems of this nature it''s probably best not to come out about them

Keelansgrandad is simply being honest, he is from another generation and is expressing what life experience has taught him.

Compare that to ''on-message'' brainwashed snowflakes who only know what the MSM or their politically correct tutors or celebrities have fed them.

The Hitler Youth were similarly indoctrinated and told to report adults.

There is a balance here between respect for diversity and free speech. Free speech is the valve on the pressure cooker, suppress it at your peril.

It makes me laugh how well informed the young in particular think they are and how they like to lecture on everything from Brexit to Phobias to older people who it is okay to deride as they don''t fall into a ''non-bully'' group. Oh! The irony.

History repeats itself as people stay the same and the strident intolerance, easy offence and exaggeration and persecution of anyone not suitably on-message to promote their own agenda is a modern day witch trial.

Society has, thankfully moved on, but don''t abuse it and don''t be a political instrument through not thinking for yourself.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]The Neymar thread shows the small minded fans up in our fan base and is why a player would probably never feel comfortable discussing the matters discussed.[/quote]

Good to see I’m not the only who found that thread offensive. The reason why these ‘issues’ have high profile campaigns is precisely because some would rather say it’s not a problem I get on with everyone, than sit up and take notice that young LBGTAQ+ people are more likely to suffer from mental illness, more likely to commit suicide than their heterosexual peers.

Prejudice in all it’s forms is unfortunately as present today as it’s always been. Just look at the rise in right wing extremism in the west.

We know all to well how much a professional footballer can suffer if they come out publicly. I look forward to the day when gay footballers feel completely ok to talk about their sexuality.

The rise in Right wing extremism is a response to Liberal and Globalist Extremism.

Brexit and the election of Trump were - reactions and those who provoked it are still in denial.

In politics, for every action there is an unequal and disproportionate reaction.......as Newton didn''t say.

[quote user="RUDOLPH FARKE"]

The Hitler Youth were similarly indoctrinated and told to report adults.

[/quote]

No point reading the rest of your post. Top man.👍

i''m glad that you recognise it was (is?) your problem

If there are any other problems of this nature it''s probably best not to come out about them

I don''t have any problems at all. What I recognise that I was the product of generations of selection and prejudice. Your future mapped at 11. We were products of human engineering before anyone came up with the phrase.

So if you had looked a bit closer you wouldn''t have missed my point.

Gay meant sick, perverted and to love someone of the same sex was against the law.

It was "queer" which meant everyone that wasn''t normal-to the establishment.