Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Reed, keep or not ?

Few things to consider re signing Reed. One is he out of contract next season. Two what salary is he expecting. Does Farke have eyes for new RB to support Ivo HR doing well enough at RB or RWB but this only short term at moment. If DM signing HR could affect other DM''s Godfrey and Thompson from progressing, will we resign Tettey.

However provided HR meets our new salary structure sign him up, been impressive. Much depends on Soton being PL club next season.

King - "A modern fullback needs to be able to attack as well as defend. Reed isn''t quick enough and his crossing is pretty awful."

Doesn''t matter about crossing, we don''t much of that anyway with the current set up!!

Yes, but but much of it boils down to what Norwich can offer financially (which I cannot imagine being too much) though the sale of Maddison could be used for higher wages, though I suspect that would be modest at best as the recent past of the club paying big salaries have gone.

[quote user="komakino"]Yes, but but much of it boils down to what Norwich can offer financially (which I cannot imagine being too much) though the sale of Maddison could be used for higher wages, though I suspect that would be modest at best as the recent past of the club paying big salaries have gone.[/quote]That''s the stumbling block - we can''t sign players who will be asking PL wages. It''s probable that most of our PL wage earners could be off the books by next season (McGovern, Klose, Pinto, Martin, Naismith, Tettey, Hoolahan, Jarvis and Murphy are all that''s left by my reckoning?), so we''re not likely to bring in more players who would command PL wages. With the downsizing set to continue with the parachute payments running out, we''ll be looking to bring in players from abroad, lower leagues and the academy - even if we could afford one or two on higher wages, it wouldn''t help morale having such an imbalance in salary.We just need to hope that Webber and Farke can unearth more gems such as Zimmermann and Trybull, take a gamble on a couple of talented young players like Raggett, and bring through some more academy youngsters. The sale of Maddison alone should be enough to balance the books and give us a small transfer kitty to play with, which could be supplemented with the sale of either Oliveira, Murphy or Klose. Expect to see that reinvested in a few squad players with potential to grow.

I don''t think Murphy will be on ''Premier League wages'' he renewed his contract last season when it was pretty clear we weren''t going back up.

The big stumbling blocks are Naismith and Jarvis I think.

This point has probably been made in loads of threads, but I''ll ask it again - when does the cost cutting stop? Yes, we have ''big earners'' in Klose, Naismith, Wes etc, but at some point we must have saved what we need to save to account for the loss in parachute payments.

The next question is to decide who of those high earners we want to keep and can afford to. For me, it''d be Tettey, Klose and if Reed or Gunn are available to loan or buy, they''d be a good option. I suspect Gunn will have his eye on a Premiership loan though...

The club wants to be self-suffient, so the cost cutting stops when that happens. The owners will not put any money in and the will not sell, so it''s all about consolidation.

Webber placed a wage cap on all new signings as he (quite rightly) couldn''t believe what some players were on when he joined. However, the cap is believed to be around £7/8K, which is why you end up with German imports as that is good money for them in a country that pays a lot less on average.

I''m sure that figure will have to be higher once the finances are sorted out, but my beef is that footballers go for the £££''s and if a Norwich player makes a bit of a name for himself, he will move on as there will be many clubs in the Championship who will pay a bit more, so that does not equate to getting promoted.

I''d love Gunn to stay, but he''s an ambitious lad and could do a lot better next season. Loyalty goes out the window once their agents start blowing in their ear.

I''m not so sure. Look at Klose. We all thought he''d go, and he openly stated he wanted to stay. Gunn might feel settled here, and with the transition season behind us, we could be a force next season. So who knows!

Would be great to keep Reed as he''s shown his versatility.

Would expect Naismith to go during the summer, now we''ve managed to move him on through a loan. Can''t see him fitting into Farke''s plans