Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Reed, keep or not ?

As story above, the question has been raised as to where Harrison Reed might be next seasonLeaving aside his contract/wages with S''oton ........on purely playing and commitment levels would you want him to stay ?

Absolutely. A young, talented footballer who can fill in pretty much anywhere. He''s won a lot of us over with good performances too.

Yes, if we can. He has proven to be versatile, (a good versatile at that, not just someone to fill a gap), and willing to work hard for the team.

100% yes. One of this season’s bright spots. Won’t play at Saints, so he should stay and be our Scholesy....

It''s been a win win loan. They don''t always work out but Reedo has been great for us and will have improved greatly as a player, would love him to stay. Should Southampton be relegated though he could be an important player for them next season.

Underrated. I think he is a better full back than Pinto if not quite so good as an out and out attacking wing back. I would definitely keep him.

[quote user="Capt. Pants"]It''s been a win win loan. They don''t always work out but Reedo has been great for us and will have improved greatly as a player, would love him to stay. Should Southampton be relegated though he could be an important player for them next season. [/quote]Yes, both us and Reed have certainly benefited from his time here - as ultimately have S''ton. And in the grand scheme of things does show the value of the loan system with Reed being with us and Godfrey at S''bury ie both getting games at the appropriate level for them.The possibility of S''ton being relegated, what are his wages etc does take the argument further on, but an unsung hero he has been and we shall have to see whether he was a short term gap filler or a longer term prospect.For my part the sort of player who is the bedrock of any squad and the type that stays with a club quite a while (there is the kiss of death )

Oh God, I actually agree with Herman. I''m off for a shower. With coal tar soap 😄

[quote user="JF"]Oh God, I actually agree with Herman. I''m off for a shower. With coal tar soap 😄[/quote]It is the last Sunday of the month, after all

Yes, better full-back than Pinto. Excellent squad player to have at this level.

We will have Godfrey and McLean back, as with TrybullI think Hoolahan will be gone as might TetteyThe expectation is that Maddison will be off, and we aren''t yet sure about Leitner Then factor in Thompson, and possibly Cantwell and there will be quite a bit of ''sorting out''.However back to the OP, it looks like a big YES for Reed

Yes from me. Not sure he''s first choice, but without doubt a valuable squad player. Versatile and quality depth to have in the squad.

Solid if unspectacular, definitely prefer him to Pinto defensively. Would be happy to see him stay but wouldn''t class him as a loss that would strongly detriment the development of our squad if he wasn''t to join permanently (ala Maddison). I feel like because he''s English, relatively young and a youth product Saints will greatly over value him (at least a few million?), in which case there''s probably better value elsewhere.

I like Reed but I wouldn''t pick him as first choice in any position.

As for the comparison to Pinto...

If people look at the Bolton game two things were notable:

1) We lacked an attacking thrust down the right side because Reed offers almost nothing going forward. Pinto does.

2) When Bolton did start to get some joy it was because they started to target Reed.

[quote user="Excited Canary"]Solid if unspectacular, definitely prefer him to Pinto defensively. Would be happy to see him stay but wouldn''t class him as a loss that would strongly detriment the development of our squad if he wasn''t to join permanently (ala Maddison). I feel like because he''s English, relatively young and a youth product Saints will greatly over value him (at least a few million?), in which case there''s probably better value elsewhere.[/quote]S''ton might well off load him on a free...

.... as long as we cover his contract, which is quite long.If they don''t see him stepping up as a PL player they may well want to get him off the wage bill. We are not under any pressure as the players brought in have shown. We can find players elsewhere.It would also seem that at 22 he was not going out on loan as a means to improve but more a chance to show what he can do. I would be surprised if he ended up back at S''ton if they stay up. He needs to be playing regularly and i suspect Championship is his level.So if the sums work out, who knows he might sign here permanently - as there was something W/F saw in him before he came and has not been a let down so far.

A lot will depend on who leaves at the end of the season. If Tettey stays, plus Vrancic, Godfrey, Thompson then we don’t need another one for those positions. I’m still hanging onto some hope that Leitner comes too 😀

I reckon he''ll get better wages elsewhere, he''s putting himself in the shop window by saying he''d like to come here permanently.

A solid season should see a few more interested parties.

I''m very confused by the idea he''s a better fullback than Pinto.

A modern fullback needs to be able to attack as well as defend. Reed isn''t quick enough and his crossing is pretty awful.

Defensively he is solid but still wants to naturally come more central as that is his position.

He''s an option at right back and has done a solid job filling in but he isn''t better than Pinto.

To be honest don''t think it will happen and not that bothered anyway.

Better options in centre mid with trybull, tettey and now Leitner all thought of in front of him, even if they don''t stay not sure how Reed will take us forward as our form with him centre mid isn''t great, add to that quite high wages being his age and still at Southampton, can see him joining Cardiff or Leeds that will pay him better money and use him in a higher pressing formation

Potentially lose Leitner & Tettey, question marks over Trybull & Thompsons fitness, also have to consider the home-grown rule

Certainly makes sense if the finances allow it