Sign in to follow this  
pete

Time to experiment

No prospect of relegation or reaching the play offs. Surely its time for Farke to experiment to find any solutions to our goal output. Two strikers, two wingers, one DM instead of two or maybe other system. Three at the back is working with two wing backs. But we do need to find a solution to our goal scoring problem.

We have 12 fixtures in which we should be looking for solutions, getting ball forward faster and create opportunities the strikers can score from.

I don''t mean to sound disrespectful but what is it with English football fans that can''t move past the ''two strikers and wingers'' way of playing football?

Pete, I agree, I''m no football tactician but I think you''re right. We have a golden opportunity (if you can call it that) to practice some ideas/personnel or whatever it may be to find the solution to our attacking problems. I say why not, but I reckon it won''t happen.

King canary, I also agree. You hear it all the time "play two up top". Two upfront doesn''t address the issue of supply, but it does take another out of midfield in a football era where most oppositions would then out number you.

Personally, I think our problem comes from not being willing to take a gamble in the final third. We seem to be more concerned with keeping the ball than scoring with it. Like we''re waiting to score the "perfect goal". Funny how on the few occasion we throw caution to the wind and "sling a ball into the box" that we get some reward as we saw against the like of Ipswich and Chelsea.

I dunno, like I said, I''m no football tactician, as I''m from the 4-4-2 "up the line" era but I do know that in terms of scoring goals something isn''t right so why not, as Pete says, have a tinker!

[quote user="king canary"]I don''t mean to sound disrespectful but what is it with English football fans that can''t move past the ''two strikers and wingers'' way of playing football?[/quote]Maybe because all season it hasn''t worked with one up front, with allegedly one of the best strikers in this division, and the best midfielder in this division playing behind him!

So what makes you think taking someone out of midfield and playing an additional striker will solve the supply problem then Samwam?

We played with two wingers against Bolton. But the longer the game went on, the more narrow they became. Often standing infield, close to Oliveira. This left us with no width at all. Quite why they did this, only Farke knows. We even finished the game with two strikers. But this only made things worse. Frankly, I think we need another Pritchard-type of player to get in behind defences.

I don''t mean to sound disrespectful but what is it with English football fans that can''t move past the ''two strikers and wingers'' way of playing football?

I think it is fair to say that our most entertaining football is played with the accent on getting forward.

I don''t think there is anything wrong with play one, two or three up front if you have the personnel to make each format work.

At the moment, I think the general feeling is that one up front hasn''t worked this season.

Do you guys not think they''ve already tried some of this stuff? Probably in training at Colney, NAAYYYUULLLL!I imagine that we have tried various formations. Three at the back approach is Farke''s preferred method and that has worked pretty well as of late. I am not sure we''ll ever see ''proper wingers and two up front'' from the start under DF. And I am not particualrly bothered if we don''t, either.

[quote user="Samwam27"][quote user="king canary"]I don''t mean to sound disrespectful but what is it with English football fans that can''t move past the ''two strikers and wingers'' way of playing football?[/quote]Maybe because all season it hasn''t worked with one up front, with allegedly one of the best strikers in this division, and the best midfielder in this division playing behind him![/quote]
Oliviera unfortunately isn''t one of the best strikers in this division. His entire career bar last season kind of proves that, too.

Playoffs are still eminently possible.

We do however need to find a way of scoring more goals experimentally or not!

I would say now was the time to experiment with playing on skates or skis...

But can you get a decent tune out of them?

[quote user="king canary"]I don''t mean to sound disrespectful but what is it with English football fans that can''t move past the ''two strikers and wingers'' way of playing football?[/quote]

Because it’s infinitely better to watch than the continental side to side, slow build up, dull way of playing football

[quote user="king canary"]I don''t mean to sound disrespectful but what is it with English football fans that can''t move past the ''two strikers and wingers'' way of playing football?[/quote]

Because it’s infinitely better to watch than the continental side to side, slow build up, dull way of playing football

It is little to do with what labels you put on players, or these absurd formations that seem to excite the witless. It is the approach players take and their attitude.I don''t think anyone on here will doubt the attitude, or commitment of our players. Where the fault lies is in the tactics Farke is using. The individual coaching would appear to be spot on. Player look more confident and are certainly fitter.However this idea that possession is all is causing the problem. I''ve linked the goals from the CH below. Watch how other teams are willing to take a ''risk'' get the ball forward as soon as possible. For want of better words it is ''playing the percentages''. Three against three has a better chance than ten against ten which is all too often where we end up... with the ball outside of the box trying to find the space to get a shot in.Take away Maddison and where have our goals come from recently ? Headers in the box from .... defenders. Klose Zim and Lewis, with two of the crosses coming from defenders. You may also recall that Trybull (DM?) also scored with a header.Too many times we are wasting the ball with shot goal kicks and even free kicks. Farke seems to be under the belief that it is better to let a free kick in the opposition third drift back to Gunn so as to keep possession than it is to put the ball in the box and see what happens. Oddly enough both us and the opposition have scored that way.This is football, not netball. What matters is what the players do with the ball - not what labels they have or what part of the pitch they are supposedly allocated. Watch the goals and compare the play of almost all the other teams with what we are doinghttp://www.skysports.com/championship-results

I''d give the little coloured lad from Spurs a go as a lone attacker.