Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

OT - Roger Bannister

Roger Bannister was a great inspiration to millions of others as well as to me in my boyhood of striving to do the very best you can do. RIP.

There was an excellent documentary about the training & planning that went in to the record breaking run, I think it was on BBC4. I

If you can find it it''s well worth seeing. Braisher, Chattaway & Bannister made an engaging trio.

RIP Roger.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Hercules"]People forget it was his mother, Minnie. who drove him on.[/quote]You are beneath contempt.[/quote]Odd how having a joke about a surname sends some into raptures of self righteous anger.Because usually it is all ''political correctness gone mad'' if any one is challenged over their comments. Still I expect it is down to who is making the joke, and who the joke is about.

Roger Bannister Won the race to get under the 4 mins but don''t forget it is the shortest period before the record was broken again. He will always go down in history as the first and he was British !

I wonder if the record would have been broken with today''s accurate timing equipment?

0.6 of a second inside 4 minutes with a hand held stop watch as he breaks the tape.

Surprised they don''t use chip timing in big events.

And to think he never made a penny out of it. Would be on a contract with dozens today.