Sign in to follow this  
Big Vince

Flakesnow Generation Confirmed

Whilst I wouldn''t dismiss anything Farke is suggesting about the squad in these inclement conditions. ..even if it is in jest, it doesn''t quite sit comfortably coming from someone who has spent his footballing career in German football of whom all saunter off on a 3 week winter break every year?.....

" Harder, tougher back in the day five of us would have just picked that lorry up...''

😀 Life was harder for most people JF.

I wonder how many people have discovered they have quite new cars whose heaters don''t give off heat when ticking over?  Is this the norm these days or do only a few car makes have this trait?  Would be genuinely interested to find out, as it seems a whole new low level of stupidity has been reached in car manufacture.

I couldn''t remember missing school any days due to snow, so I asked my twin, who in turn ask my Mum and we did not miss a day due to snow even tho'' we had 3 miles to get there.

Van wink wrote the following post at 02/03/2018 7:36 PM:

My nice new Beamer dont get too warm Lakey.

Rear wheel drive? Seen a lot of BM’s struggling in these conditions with rear wheel drive

I was conceived in February 1963, which was completely unplanned as my parents had only recently been married and mum intended to carry on working for a couple of years before she started a family. I wonder whether the cold weather brought about an increase in population 😉❄️

Men were men back in the day. They only had to look at a woman and she was pregnant

[quote user="JF"]So how exactly did you heroes of 1963 tackle a 30 mile car journey through snow drifts that have made the roads impassable. and get past jack knifed lorries with literally thousands of motionless cars in front it you in your 1960s cars? I’m all ears![/quote]

As Badger said, more people worked closer to home and others lived closer to work so there wasn''t so much travelling. But in 1963 there were no dual carriage ways and bypasses.

I remember the milk and bread came up to North Norfolk on the train and we were allowed to buy a pint each. We got around by walking through the snow drifts.

As Badger said, more people worked closer to home and others lived closer to work so there wasn''t so much travelling. But in 1963 there were no dual carriage ways and bypasses.

I remember the milk and bread came up to North Norfolk on the train and we were allowed to buy a pint each. We got around by walking through the snow drifts.

Exactly. So this harping on about it being a snowflake genaration attitude is nonsense. People simply work further away now, hence why the country comes to a standstill

Yep - different world then, people worked closer to home, less traffic too and we now have a sue culture, so if little Jimmy falls over and gets hurt in the playground, the parents sue the school, or if he gets knocked over walking there, then the school shouldn''t have been open - likewise for teachers.

Not good, but it is where we are in today''s society!

No supermarkets either so no trucks transporting a million varieties of whatever. We ate seasonal from out of the garden I still can''t get used to the idea of parsnips in July and strawberries in January. It ain''t right.

We were tougher then mind. And footballers wore roper boots.

It is not really a standstill, is it ?The snow has made it almost impossible for much of road traffic to proceed at the normal rate. Likewise it has had an effect on other forms of mas transportation.However most people have taken it in their stride (literally), and life seems to be carrying on as pr usual away from this.Unfortunately we have a media that drags out the same old cliches ... phwoaor, what a scorcher, Britain can''t cope...The slightest bit of snow, hot weather and out they come.Were folk in 1963 subjected to this constant media whining.Did they have record numbers of newspaper columns dedicated to how awful it is now, and how awful we are as a society ?The good news is that way back then, if there was that turgid guff, it was soon gone to light the fires wrap the chips or cut into cornes and hung on a piece of string to be put to it''s best suited use.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]No supermarkets either so no trucks transporting a million varieties of whatever. We ate seasonal from out of the garden I still can''t get used to the idea of parsnips in July and strawberries in January. It ain''t right.

We were tougher then mind. And footballers wore roper boots.[/quote]and from someone else''s garden if you could get away with itthat''s why you can still see warning signs around the countyPick Your Own

This is all very interesting but the reality is that in 1962/63 Norwich City played just one fixture between 29th December and 23rd February. Bury away if anyone''s interested. They''re obviously tough around Gigg Lane. Norwich finally played their 3rd round FA Cup tie on 3rd March. Now I''m wondering how such a tough and robust generation didn''t manage to get any games played in all that time?

I''m only a youngster... ish!

But it always makes me laugh when i hear you older chaps going on about ''how hard you had it back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s'', and how you ''went about your day with no fuss''.

I find it awfully hard to believe, considering you''re all still banging on about it decades later.

Just an observation.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Rock The Boat"]In 1963 it started snowing on Boxing Day and we had snow until March. Norfolk was completely cut off. I don''t remember missing school for a single day.[/quote]

My buddy Lapps says exactly the same thing about the 1928 floods.....
[/quote]Which one is Lapps then?..not many around now who could remember those floods, although 4th from the left looks suspiciously like the then King of Romania admiring his reflection or having a pee, who is still alive today, 90 years later.

No news apart from 10 or 20 minutes each day, no synthetic clothes, woollen only, which soaked up the snow, no central heating, ice on the windows (inside), fighting with your siblings to get dressed in the airing cupboard because it was the only place in the house with warmth (hot water cylinder). No coal fire until 5.00pm because your parents couldn''t afford the coal. Going to play outside, because you were warmer running about outside than sitting indoors. No four wheel drives (if you were lucky enough to have a car), no power steering, no heated rear windows, etc. School one mile away and you walked, father''s work 10m miles away, yet neither of us missed a day. No supermarkets stocked full of food. Snow about 3 ft, didn''t get above freezing for 8-10 weeks. Those were the days, would I want to re-live them, probably not, could I without having a hissy fit, probably yes.

All that said, if you haven''t experienced the Thames freezing over you wouldn''t know how to deal with it.

My mother once said to me, when I said modern life is stressful, " Stress, stress, you have no idea what stress is, I''ll tell you what stress is, it''s waiting for the V1''s to cut out and drop on your house."

After that I tended not to whinge about too much!!

My great uncle was in London when the first bombs fell.................... he was back in Norfolk before the second ones came down. Never a brave man, but an excellent runner. He did marry my grandmother though so he must have had some bravery, though I suppose it wouldn''t have been too wise to test if her father really did have a loaded shotgun.However he was lucky, as both he and his brothers all survived the First war................probably because they were still at school at the time.They were hard times, but fair. You knew where you stood as well. If the local copper gave him a clip round the ear.... my great grandad would give him a clip round the ear as well. The copper that is, not my great uncle. It was like that in the village in those days. Quite a violent society, but fair.I blame a lot of violence in the modern world on there not being enough discipline nowadays. Kids need to be taught that violence is not the answer, and if they can''t understand that then they soon will after a good thrashing.

[quote user="Big Vince"]It just goes to show how soft we have become as a nation since 1945 that it is now generally accepted that a few flakes of snow mean that normal life has to be abandoned.

Suddenly schools are shut and people don''t work; trains, planes, cars and buses don''t work, football head coaches are left tellyless for a week and professional footballers can''t be expected to make a 9am start on a Wednesday.

You now have a Flakesnow Generation that have only ever known mild winters. You only have to go back to the 1980s to see that harsh winters were quite normal and that people went about their normal routines regardless.

Back then, it used to be the case that the condition of the pitch was the only consideration as to whether a match went ahead or not. Now however, our risk averse society has to take into account the roads leading to the ground, the condition of the areas in and around the ground and the general well-being of fans and staff.

It was very telling indeed that the German players and staff were able to make it by 9am on Wednesday, but the British players (with some exceptions) thought that travel in the snow was against their human rights. I find myself in total agreement with the boy Farke''s sentiments on the matter.

Verdict: when the going gets tough the soft get softer.[/quote]Simple short answer - people have got lazy and we all know the reason why -- Lefty nannyism.Hence the Brexit vote.

North Walsham train station 1959. Not sure how many trains there''s been through North Walsham since Wednesday as luckily I''ve escaped for the winter to a warmer climate but it''s not many.[img]https://s9.postimg.org/7ru48yevz/photo31.jpg[/img]

Love when the old boys pipe up and claim it''s all gone to the dogs 😂

Change the record Grandad! Your father, his father etc etc thought the exact same thing about you. The fact is you''re living dream every generation before you would/and have give/given their right arm to be in your position.

So sit back, put your feet, enjoy the 2000 odd channels beamed straight to your gogglebox, instant hot water, every dish of food imaginable just a click away. I bet you were the softie they all use to talk about, don''t worry you''ll be dead soon and this nightmare will all be over 😜

[quote user="Thisisbabyish"]Love when the old boys pipe up and claim it''s all gone to the dogs 😂

Change the record Grandad! Your father, his father etc etc thought the exact same thing about you. The fact is you''re living dream every generation before you would/and have give/given their right arm to be in your position.

So sit back, put your feet, enjoy the 2000 odd channels beamed straight to your gogglebox, instant hot water, every dish of food imaginable just a click away. I bet you were the softie they all use to talk about, don''t worry you''ll be dead soon and this nightmare will all be over 😜[/quote]whoooosh !

[quote user="nutty nigel"]This is all very interesting but the reality is that in 1962/63 Norwich City played just one fixture between 29th December and 23rd February. Bury away if anyone''s interested. They''re obviously tough around Gigg Lane. Norwich finally played their 3rd round FA Cup tie on 3rd March. Now I''m wondering how such a tough and robust generation didn''t manage to get any games played in all that time?[/quote]Most of the problems in those days were due to frozen pitches, not snow. If I remember correctly Highbury, was the only pitch in the country with undersoil heating. Back in the 50''s they used to cover the pitch with straw if a hard frost was forecast. The straw would be raked to the sidelines before the match and then raked over again after it had finished. It wasn''t a completely successful solution but I certainly remember some games were saved by it.There were a couple of inches of snow on the pitch for our 3rd round tie against Man Utd in 1959 but the lines were cleared and a game went ahead that probably wouldn''t have even been attempted today.

When I was a kid me and my siblings had to share a shoe. I had one pair of pants that had to last me 5 days inside and out. We’d eat a hot meal but only if farther could catch a sparrow and we could find enough twigs to cook it over.

[quote user="Thisisbabyish"]Love when the old boys pipe up and claim it''s all gone to the dogs 😂

So sit back, put your feet, enjoy the 2000 odd channels beamed straight to your gogglebox, instant hot water, every dish of food imaginable just a click away. I bet you were the softie they all use to talk about, don''t worry you''ll be dead soon and this nightmare will all be over 😜[/quote]Lets hope the oil and gas never run out else it will be one that you will be facing. I wonder if you will enjoy it as much as we did[:D]