Sign in to follow this  
lincsy88

Next Season

I think its pretty certain to say we are not going up or down this season so my thoughts and attentions have turned to 2018/19 and the type of squad we may be working with and who we might need to bring in and I see it as follows:

GK - Matthews, McGovern

RB - Pinto,

CB - Hanley, Zimmermann, Klose, Raggett.

LB - Lewis, Husband

CDM/CM/CAM - Godfrey, Trybull, Vrancic, McClean, Thompson, Cantwell

WINGERS - Murphy, Hernandez, Jarvis, Watkins

ST - Srbeny,

UTILITY MAN - Stiepermann.

This obviously leaves all the loans going back and the likes of Naismith, Oliviera, Martin, Tettey, Hoolahan, Oliviera, Franke, Wildschut, Jones all being moved on.

My question to you lovely pinkun posters is which positions would you strengthen, who would you like to keep and who would you ship out. Personally it seems pretty clear we need 1 or 2 strikers, cover at RB and some creativity in the CAM role certainly if Madders leaves.

From the guys I believe might be moved on I would like to keep Wildschut, think he offers something off the bench and would like to see Wes move into coaching (if he chooses to retire) and Tettey given another year.

Presumably Maddison will be off so would like to see this money spent on a couple of quality strikers. Hopefully Leitner will stay and would be happy if We signed Reed. I''ve lost track but didn''t we sign a young right back? In terms of creativity in midfield, Trybull, Leitner , Vrancic and Cantwell, possibly Wes still here, seems pretty decent

Certainly a right back.

Try and sign Leitner and Reed.

We will need another AM and cover for wingers. You have Watkins/Jarvis there when neither are actual cover for wingers.

We many need to spend a fair chunk on a striker. Fundamentally we haven''t scored enough goals, can we risk selling a decent Championship striker and taking a punt on another Srbeny?

We will have to replace goals scored by Maddiosn and Oliveira - that''s a lot of goals we have lost, and its made worse by the fact that we haven''t scored a lot full stop - I''m guessing those 2 players are probably responsible for around half our league goals?

Strikers. I''ve been saying it for years and I''ll probably still be saying it when I''m 80: we''ve never really replaced Grant Holt. Pretty much everyone who we''ve bought in recent years has ranged from bang average to total pants. Jerome had the right attitude and work-rate but lacked composure and technique; Oliveira occasionally shows ability but lacks movement and intelligence as well as having a poor attitude, low work rate, big ego etc. It''s too soon to tell with Srbeny and I hope he comes good, but we need to sign two or three other strikers and ship out the dross.If we''re going to persist with an attacking trio in midfield behind the striker then we need to sign players in these positions who will score goals. This season only Maddison has really delivered; Vrancic and Watkins have been real disappointments and Murphy has not quite cut it when it''s really mattered. Assuming Maddison goes, we need to bring in a decent replacement and some other competition for the wide roles - players with pace and good crossing and finishing. Hernandez looks like a good signing. We probably need one new wide attacker/winger.Ultimately, I think what I''m saying is we need to sign Grant Holt and Darren Huckerby.

In no particualr order I''d like...

GK- either to re-sign Gunn or if not then sign an experienced pro on the cheap to serve as back-up/competition for Matthews.

Defence- a right back is essential. If we sell Klose then another central defender is needed if we want to play 3 at the back, unless we think Franke is worth another shot. Also, anyone else forgotten Husband existed?

Central Midfield- I think we''re pretty strong here, especially if we can sign Leitner. I like Reed but I''d rather give Godfrey a shot.

Attacking midfield- we''ll need someone to replace Maddison and another winger. Watkins just doesn''t look good enough.

Strikers- the biggest issue. We''ll need to sign two I think and they won''t come cheap.

So in total I''ve got-

Goalkeeper

Right Back

Central Defender (if we sell Klose)

Leitner

Winger

Number 10

2 x strikers

It is going to be a touch balancing act.

The likely scenario is that Tettey & Wes will go, Maddison will be sold along with Klose, Oliviera and possibly Pinto. McGovern, Naismith & Jarvis will be hard to shift, so can see another season loans for these guys.

Depends on how much we get from the player sales I’m sure it’ll be tight, there will be funds for some new faces.

So we will no doubt be reliant on the youth players out on loan to at least make the step into our senior set up.

I’d pretty much say Angus Gunn back on loan could well happen, along with a few more.

There’s little point in speculating at the moment as I think there might be fairly heavy changes again to our squad before the start of next season.

If we do lose Tettey, Wes, Klose, Pinto, Oliviera & Maddison, I really can’t see us improving that much next season, pretty much the same as this year, yes we have shed load of potential in Godfrey, Thompson and others but none really shown anything at this level yet, as for Watkins, Stiepermann, Srbeny and Trybull they still need to show they can be first team regulars.

It’ll be a tough season next year.

Balancing out we would ideally need a fair few signings although a lot of what we can do will depend on Maddison and his fee, if we get rid of Naismith, Martin etc to help with the wage budget etc.
The reality is Farke and Webber both like a relatively small squad with a clear path for the youth so I''d expect Cantwell to take up one of the winger slots. In reality the main focus should be on getting rid of Oliviera and bringing in a minimum of 2 strikers.

Sadly true, although I guess a lot of our activity will hinge on whether we cash in on Maddison or not.

Will the probable sale of Maddison and resulting fee be actually sufficient to fund future purchases, wages and maintain the general upkeep of the club to function successfully next season....?

[quote user="Punctured Bicycle on a hillside desolate "]Unless there is an injection of capital into the club next season is going to be depressing[/quote]next time i get a chinese from the Hong Kong on Unthank Road i will ask if the owner is stinking rich.

next time i get a chinese from the Hong Kong on Unthank Road i will ask if the owner is stinking rich.

I think you''ll find the owner is ''unwashed Wun''(stinking Rich has left and now owns a takeaway in Lowestoft)

I think you need to be considering Morris, Cantwell, Raggett, Godfrey and Efete for next season.. and possibly the likes of Thomas, Power, Phillips, Idah, Mourgos, Abrahams and Fonkeu..

Interesting that 4 of those are strikers!

Could Mourgos, Power or Cantwell help to replace Maddison?

only time will tell..