Sign in to follow this  
 Badger

Tettey contract talks stall

Not a huge surprise to be honest. With Godfrey and possibly Thompson in the mix next season we''ve at least got bodies to cover his loss.

I just hope he goes abroad- I don''t fancy playing against him in the Championship next season.

Tettey added: “I love playing for Norwich City. I love the city. The

club has given me a lot, so I haven’t said I’m not going to play for

Norwich City. It’s just a contract situation and when it’s like this,

anything can happen.

Sounds like the club have offered him a new salary which is a lot less than he''s currently on. Question is, will the club offer more or will he decide that its better to stay on a lower wage?

I suspect the same will happen to Wes.

[quote user="Punctured Bicycle on a hillside desolate "]He clearly is off[/quote]Not necessarily otherwise why the talk of being offered a new contract ?I suspect any offer elsewhere will be dependent upon who is in the Championship next season ie who will have the sort of money his agent will be looking for.As to Tettey himself he has been well committed this season, comes across as a decent chap and if something in the way of a contract can be sorted then I would welcome him here next season.

I would suspect you are correct Woodman. Tettey is a long-serving member of our squad and would have been on a pretty decent wage. Given our failure to go up and the inevitable cost cutting, given his age I''m sure it''ll only be a 1 year option on reduced wages. And if we do offer him anything, Wes would get the same treatment.

Players like Godfrey, Thompson and possibly Reed and young, and hungry, but command a much lower wage.

I''ll be sad to see him go if he does leave, hopefully he''ll have some heart and take the lower wage to stay and help us out next season. We still need some experience in there, and Tettey is one of the best we''ve got left.

Basically the new offer is nowhere near the same financially as what he has at the minute. Thats no surprise.

Would anybody take less money than what they are getting at the minute, especially when they can probably get the same elsewhere?

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Basically the new offer is nowhere near the same financially as what he has at the minute. Thats no surprise.

Would anybody take less money than what they are getting at the minute, especially when they can probably get the same elsewhere?[/quote]I would actually think that is highly unlikely - given that his contract here was PL based.He is 32 next month so any 3 year deal would take him to 35. Would his knees last that long ?He''s fully awae that the contract offered is a reflection of our income rather than of his worth, so whilst the odds favour him moving on I am not so certain about that as I was a few weeks back.

Michael Bailey said that he would probably be offered half his wage he is on now, but I wouldn''t be surprised if it was even less than that.

The reality is we will be paying low wages going forward, which will mean it will harder to keep even reasonable players like Tettey because at the end of the day, footballers go for the £££''s.

I’ve heard a couple times that Molde are after him this summer, not sure what we’re offering but would be good to tie him down to another year.

Not many Championship clubs will offer him a lucrative 2 year contract at 31.

Love the guy and hope he stays for one more year, despite his weak knees and a penchant for yellow cards, meaning he''ll only play around 30 games a season. Thomson, Godfrey, Trybull, Stiepermann, Vrancic and possibly Leitner are our defensive midfield options, so the club might feel they have enough without him.

I imagine he could still demand a decent wage though.

He might also want to experience another country or return to Norway at some point in his career.

Would anybody take less money than what they are getting at the minute, especially when they can probably get the same elsewhere?

Most players know that if they want to continue in the game as they age, they will probably be stepping down a division or two and will not be getting the same wages.

In industry this wouldn''t happen because you would still be doing the same job with the same ability.

And the talk of him going back home surely means he would be on less money.

This is why players have agents though.

There will be feelers out there in the market for what other clubs might be willing to pay. If we say we''d sign him for 2 years at £8k p/w and his agent is getting indications that clubs might be willing to pay £15k p/w then he is well within his rights to explore that. With his knees this may be the last decent contract he signs also.

(all the above figures are purely hypothetical of course)

I would imagine the length of the contract is as important, if not more so, than the wages at his age. Gary O''Neil went because he got a two year contract elsewhere when we were offering one.

If Tettey can get a three year deal, even on "low" wages, he might look at that as a good option.

He''ll be missed more than some realise in my opinion.

[quote user="king canary"]This is why players have agents though.

There will be feelers out there in the market for what other clubs might be willing to pay. If we say we''d sign him for 2 years at £8k p/w and his agent is getting indications that clubs might be willing to pay £15k p/w then he is well within his rights to explore that. With his knees this may be the last decent contract he signs also.

(all the above figures are purely hypothetical of course)[/quote]It''s goes on all the time. That''s why there are agents, so as to kepp all parties ''at arms length''.As said those who might be interested will probably wait until May to see where they are league wise before making any decision.As to Tettey himself it might be a case of better the devil you know. City are aware of his knee problem and are still willing to keep him on.

The question is really whether the issue is over the length of the contract or the money being offered.

I am assuming that we would probably only offer him a 1 year extension. If that is the case then you would hope there is sufficient flexibility in the wage structure to enable us to offer him enough (not what he''s on now but more than we''ve offered him so far) to convince him to stay given he''s settled and happy here. Its not a huge risk if its only for a year. we will have players like Hanley who are no doubt on more.

I get we need to reduce our wages and that when making new signings or dishing out new long term contracts the wage structure is important but there needs to be a bit of flexibility for short term deals for the right players. This season has shown how important Tettey is to us and I think him, Godfrey and Trybull would be a very good trio to have next season in that position.

Really hope we can keep him. Will always remember how immense he was in the playoff final.

Good pro who the youngsters can benefit from having in the squad.

PS - the fact its him coming out and saying this suggests he''s quite keen to stay. sounds like he is hoping we will up our offer to him.

Some of it might hinge on what happens with our other high earners too. Martin, Naismith, Wildschut, McGovern, Klose, Pinto and Jarvis all have another year to run on their contracts. I can see the club wanting to get at least 5 of them off our books.

I would be very happy if we can find a way to keep him.

Agree. Simply having "bodies" available doesn''t replace an experienced head and solid defensive brickwall (for those games that require it).

[quote user="Sooty"][quote user="Punctured Bicycle on a hillside desolate "]He clearly is off[/quote]Not necessarily otherwise why the talk of being offered a new contract ?I suspect any offer elsewhere will be dependent upon who is in the Championship next season ie who will have the sort of money his agent will be looking for.As to Tettey himself he has been well committed this season, comes across as a decent chap and if something in the way of a contract can be sorted then I would welcome him here next season.[/quote]
Who is in the championship next season will be pretty irrelevant as it is likely at least half the clubs in the division will be able to offer higher wages than us.

Quite impressed that he is being totally honest and telling us how it is. Don`t usually get the truth regarding contracts etc, personally I think he deserves a one year deal on a decent wage, been a critic of him before but have to admit he`s done well for us this season. Add another year and maybe some of the younger lads coming through can learn from him too.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Sooty"][quote user="Punctured Bicycle on a hillside desolate "]He clearly is off[/quote]Not necessarily otherwise why the talk of being offered a new contract ?I suspect any offer elsewhere will be dependent upon who is in the Championship next season ie who will have the sort of money his agent will be looking for.As to Tettey himself he has been well committed this season, comes across as a decent chap and if something in the way of a contract can be sorted then I would welcome him here next season.[/quote]
Who is in the championship next season will be pretty irrelevant as it is likely at least half the clubs in the division will be able to offer higher wages than us.
[/quote]I think not

[quote user="Sooty"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Sooty"][quote user="Punctured Bicycle on a hillside desolate "]He clearly is off[/quote]Not necessarily otherwise why the talk of being offered a new contract ?I suspect any offer elsewhere will be dependent upon who is in the Championship next season ie who will have the sort of money his agent will be looking for.As to Tettey himself he has been well committed this season, comes across as a decent chap and if something in the way of a contract can be sorted then I would welcome him here next season.[/quote]
[/quote]I think not[/quote]Agree Sooty - we can pay competitive wages if we choose to, but they won''t want it to be top heavy. As suggested above, the length of the contract is likely to be as big an issue as the wage on offer.