Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Building Our Future - 08/03/2018

On the face of it this looks pretty good and fairly confident it''s something i''m going to go for.
I''m not sure its as ''high risk'' as some are making out, and 5% is decent.

Do any of the accountants on here know why the details talk about deducting tax, in effect making the withholding tax payment to HMRC, and not therefore using the UK to UK exemption to pay interest gross like banks and building societies etc now do?

I presume that many who apply won''t get enough interest in total to take them over the current tax free allowance anyway.

Also I don''t see anywhere that it says whether the promotion bonus is taxable?

[quote user="Zander"]This is high risk investment as the email from the club states[/quote]I''ve not had an e-mail.Is it because they think I''m poor?Or too old?  Or just plain mean?[:S]

I''m probably going to do this as, well............ I just see it as a help to my club. I don''t get to see many games (yes, I know, I''m a plastic :))

I don''t think there is too much problem paying the annual interest on the bonds but if the full £5m was to be taken up - that might be a problem to repay in one go at maturity.

I would really like to hear more from the board - in particular, I would like to know how much each of them will invest. I know it isn''t a legal requirement for us to be told but in the spirit of being open about everything, I don''t see why they shouldn''t be prepared to show they are properly backing the club in the financial sense too.

One question I''ve not seen asked...

Have any other clubs of a similar level asked their fans to fund their academy in this manner? Or is it a first?

I''m well happy to have been given the opportunity to consider this. Mr Angry from Angerton was telling me last night that I shouldn''t have been asked. As if to say my money wouldn''t be good enough. The idea seemed to be that my money is good enough to be a shareholder, season ticket holder and to buy things in the shops and bars but when it comes to investment my club should be asking strangers. Preferably foreign strangers....

Key thing is not investing money you can''t afford to lose

There is an article in the FT if you have access through their firewall which explains clearly why it is a high risk investment

Good luck if you do invest

Maybe Moxey will be interested in investing up to £700''000 whilst Ed can chip in £90''000.... 23% there...

Shareholders should fit the bill, simple as that.

Colney is a business asset, any improvements to Colney will affect the value of said business and value of shares, if the shareholders can''t afford/don''t want to risk their own money then don''t, you don''t go to tesco and while leaving have the staff with begging buckets asking for money as the garage forecourt needs a new roof.

We are not paying for the academy. The club have said they are doing this work regardless of whether the bond is successful or not. Where will the money come from? The playing budget. And that is what your money is funding.

It’s a clever business deal, give the fans a chance of investing, pay back less than would be required on a business loan, use the money to increase the value of the club and all done off the back of doing the fans a favour with a return of 5% per annum for fixed five year investment, it’s win win all round. Unless it all goes titsup as 5 years is a long time in football.

Think - if enough of us invest in this we will all be so worried about the club becoming insolvent there will be protests if we sign an expensive player! Chants of "save some f***ing money will ring out of the Barclay! [:D]

[quote user=" Badger"]Think - if enough of us invest in this we will all be so worried about the club becoming insolvent there will be protests if we sign an expensive player! Chants of "save some f***ing money will ring out of the Barclay! [:D][/quote]
Messi want''s 35k a week? Well I want to go to Florida this summer!! [:@]

[quote user="king canary"]@Purple

Not really- £3.5m would hardly have been the biggest dent in our transfer budget.

That is basically no Matt Jarvis on a permanent deal- hardly ''not trying to stay in the Premier League.''[/quote]Yes, really. When should we have done it? The obvious time was the summer of 2012, when we had stayed up. Hard to be sure but in terms of transfers we spent perhaps 10m or 11m. Taking 3.5m out of that would have made an enormous hole. And rather than use Jarvis as an example, it would have, say, meant we couldn''t buy Snodgrass.Or the summer after. We spent perhaps close to 20m then, but 3.5m would still have made a severe dent. In that case, say, no Redmond, or no Fer. And these are all  players we sold for a good profit.And many fans would have gone ballistic if we had done that.

Having wasted the riches they received from the premier league money

They are now looking to do the same with the honest hard working fans money

Why did my they fund this themselves after all we are in the position because of their withering incompetence

[quote user="Zander"]Having wasted the riches they received from the premier league money

They are now looking to do the same with the honest hard working fans money

Why did my they fund this themselves after all we are in the position because of their withering incompetence[/quote]So don''t invest then Zander. Those that think it''s a good deal can, those who don''t, don''t have to - I don''t see the problem? [:^)]

I can indeed understand people’s frustration with it, but it could have been a worse idea, this one is a decent return and helps the club move forward.

As with my contributions to the community fund this is about the club not the owners forme, I’d still like them gone.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Then you invest Badger, he doesn''t have to so whats your point? Only people that want to invest are allowed to have an opinion on it?[/quote]Perhaps you didn''t read what he said DDD? "Having wasted the riches they received from the premier league money They are now looking to do the same with the honest hard working fans money

"No "honest hard working fans" are forced to invest only those that want to - that''s my point. I can decide what to do with my own money thank you, and will form my own opinion on whether or not it''s a waste.

Just putting your sarcasm to one side Duncan add the proposed return of 5% per annum by the club i make it £150 for each £500 bond so it seems a very expensive way of raising money.

To be fair it does say if people dont want to invest they have the option of a straight donation which would be far cheaper.

Few championship or premier league clubs have gone down this route largely as it is the business equivalent of wonga

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Zander"]Few championship or premier league clubs have gone down this route largely as it is the business equivalent of wonga[/quote]Cobblers.

[/quote]What have Northampton Town got to do with this? [:P]