Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

What Next For Those Clamouring for Safe Standing ?

With the news that the Club obviously have no money to fund improvements at Colney any redevelopment at Carrow Road especially provision for an area designated for safe standing is not going to happen any time soon.

Championship football will bring you Championship facilities.

Do we spend money on the ground and hope eg Bristol City or on the playing staff eg Norwich City, in recent years?

Neither is guaranteed to be successful hence our "third way".

More to the point, what if we had gone ahead with the proposed stadium expansion which many called for during our brief stay in the Premier League?24,000 in a 35,000 stadium on matchday would have us looking like the binners and loan repayments would have given us a similar playing budget to them.Do any of you who called for stadium expansion still believe it would have been the right move?

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]When did the law change to allow it to happen ''soon''?

[/quote]I know it hasn''t Squit,you know it hasn''t but that seems of little consequence to those who claim that in meetings with the Club on the matter they have had a sympathetic hearing.

... so in essence, the worry is that we might not be able to do something that we are not allowed to do anyway? Is that correct?

Why have you used the word '' worry '' Badger as i am merely pointing out that a couple of fans groups have been jumping on the safe standing bandwagon for some time now and in the light of developments this week regarding payment of Club infastructure the wheels surely have ground to a halt as far as Norwich City and safe standing are concerned ?

The great footballing term "Sit down shut up" has never been more apt than when applied to this debacle.

People involved should be ashamed, although the club should have just strong armed them from the off.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Why have you used the word '' worry '' Badger as i am merely pointing out that a couple of fans groups have been jumping on the safe standing bandwagon for some time now and in the light of developments this week regarding payment of Club infastructure the wheels surely have ground to a halt as far as Norwich City and safe standing are concerned ?[/quote]As any provision of club funds has never been allocated to safe standing I would imagine the Clubs position is that they will look at it when its allowed. Issuing a bond to allow development of The Academy at Colney does not mean that development at Carrow Road will be shelved, the business case for developing The Academy and the business case for Safe Standing are not the same. 

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Why have you used the word '' worry '' Badger as i am merely pointing out that a couple of fans groups have been jumping on the safe standing bandwagon for some time now and in the light of developments this week regarding payment of Club infastructure the wheels surely have ground to a halt as far as Norwich City and safe standing are concerned ?[/quote]

I would have thought that by the time safe-standing becomes allowable by law, the five year bond that is proposed will have finished and if that was a success for all concerned woud prompt a similar bond for other improvements - such as a safe standing area.   If it the bond as a success, there may be more takers the next time and maybe a larger amount could be aimed for.  After all it is only like a cheap loan for the club - and it benefits fans who pay into it too.   Club + fans, working together to improve the club and all benefitting from it.  Looks like a good strategy to me. In the mean time those who are set on pushing for safe standing will have to keep lobbying for it, otherwise it will not happen at all.

I don''t really know why anyone would want to go back to standing but obviously some are serious about it so I assume there is a reasonable percentage of fans who want it.

There are arguments rolled out as to its advantages but I don''t really accept most of them.

If safe standing isn''t a profitable option for our club then we should take a leaf out of the Academy blueprint and have it self-funded by those who want to stand.
As for me? I''d like an umbrella over my seat[um]
Oh. And a heater.....

I''ll insist the club removes the installed padding from my plastic pew if we go to safe standing.....and they''ll hopefully drop the price of my season ticket after padding removal - and for the impending discomfort it will entail in doing so.....

I think that''s fair.....

[quote user="Mello Yello"]I''ll insist the club removes the installed padding from my plastic pew if we go to safe standing.....and they''ll hopefully drop the price of my season ticket after padding removal - and for the impending discomfort it will entail in doing so.....

I think that''s fair.....[/quote]You should be more worried that someone might remove the padding from your cell.

You should be more worried that someone might remove the padding from your cell. sez squit......

I''d actually be more worried and concerned if they then put me in a cell with a dull an'' droll fecker like you.....

As I stand at every game anyway and have only sat down at half-time for at least the last 10-15 seasons and have never felt threatened, I assume I practice safe standing already. Apart from anything else it''s good for my circulation to stand - felt positively constricted when I had to sit for all the match when I went to Orient yesterday!!!