Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

OT: RIP Ken Dodd

Another part of my childhood gone. Often found him over sentimental, but he could be bloody funny & always seemed a genuinely warm-hearted bloke.

''What a beautiful day for ramming a cucumber through the vicar''s letterbox and saying, "Look out, the Martians are coming!"''

RIP Doddy

Comedian who managed to keep it clean.The length of his shows were legendary. They sometimes lasted for five hours. Once saw him at a Saturday evening and at around 11.30 several people were leaving to make sure they got transport home. He spotted them and said, " Off to Midnight Mass then ? "RIP Doddy.

Ken Dodd died....did he ?No seriously a wonderful comedian and the vast majority of so called funny men of today are not fit to lace his shoes.RIP Ken.

I was lucky enough to have personally met Ken Dodd at Cromer Pier Theatre one afternoon a few years ago.

He had a little personal joke for me, I suspect he did this for everyone and got the impression that for our ''old school'' stars like him they were in ''public service'' entertainment as opposed to for their own benefit.

I remember listening to his records in my Grandparents spare room and being entertained by him on grainy black and white television and so he revived memories of mine and others happy childhoods along with other ''greats.''

Comedy is borne out of tragedy and misfortune, we need to laugh at adversity, Ken showed us how.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Ken Dodd died....did he ?No seriously a wonderful comedian and the vast majority of so called funny men of today are not fit to lace his shoes.RIP Ken.[/quote][Y]

He died in the house he was born, 90 years later, despite all his fame he never moved house.His shows were legendary, he''d just keep telling jokes, well passed the scheduled finish time.RIP  

I went to see him a few years ago at the Theatre Royal a few years ago - had to "sneak out" after 11 (babysitter). RIP

A great performer and a very genuine bloke.Probably the last of those who worked before TV was how folk saw entertainers.