Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Player ratings...

v Plymouth. What would you say? heres mine

Green - 6 a few quality saves but at times he left the goal totally open for anybody to tap it in. I am prepared to give him the benifit of the doubt.

Colin - 7, very good going forward and i thought he put in some decent crosses. But he was taken out quite easy when defending, still think he will improve greatly over the season.

Shackell - 7, i thought the whole defence was lacking a bit of organisation and he coped well today.

Fleming - 6, cant remember much about him, but as captain he should be doing more to keep the defence tight.

Drury - 7 solid

Marney - 4/5 i am afraid. Cant seem to get a corner over the first man, didnt do much else special.

Safri - 9 i think this guy is class.

Hughes - 8, very good tackles and won a lot of balls. Has good physical presence but can commit silly fouls

Brennan - 8, nothing spectacular but keeping up his good form

McVeigh - 9, just what we have needed up front, takes players on and has creativity, i give him the credit for the first goal

Ashton - 9 Looked very deadly, could have had 2 or 3 goals i feel

Lisbie - 7, didnt see much of him but he got in a few goal scoring oportunites.

Hendo - didnt see much of him but stupid tattoo thing

Green - 7 another good performance green, looked to have the one that hit the post covered but the one that hit the bar looked like he didnt know much about it.

Colin - 7, improving and getting there, by far one of the best fullbacks we have had going foward, but defending he has been caught out a few times, im sure he will continue getting better, great cross for the 2nd goal, always looking for space and movement, a few times he made some great runs foward, unfoutuantly he wasnt picked out by out midfielders.

Shackell - 7, played well, probably not one of his best games, but easily our best centre back at the club. Abit shakey at times but mainly solid, couldnt imagine our defence without him.

Fleming - 7, not a bad game, like the rest of the defence wasnt exactly brilliant yesterday, but coped well. Shackell and flem are starting to get it together, like indeviduals it will come over time.

Drury - 7, looks far better than charlton, and our defence is much more comftable with him at the back, stedy going foward and at times looked dangerous, didnt get caught out once, possible contender for man of the match

Marney - 6 - another ok, looked comftable with the ball cutting inside, got a few good crosses in but need to get to the byline more for me. Couldnt take corners at all yesturday, the main reason he got a 6 and not a 7.

Safri - 9, another contender for man of the match, looks comftable on the ball and passes it around with superb accuracy! as with shackell, i couldnt imagine our midfield withotu him, he is basically the midfield now.

Hughes - 8, good game once again, makes some good runs that we have missed since francis left. Needs to watch his tackles now and again but overall a good game, keep it up andy.

Brennan - 8, another good game, passes it well and the build up to the 2nd goal included something along the lines of 16 passes.. so congrats to the whole of the midfield, more of the same please

McVeigh - 9, hes back, and hes better....... something we have lacked for a long while, he was createful and gave us that extra spark in attack. Constantly on the move and always looking for the ball, my man of the match, well taken chance for the first goal. mcveigh deserves to start next gmae

Ashton - 9, once again looked sharp, he is back to his good old self, becuase he has a better partner upfront or because he is just back on form i dont know, but its all good keep it coming, unlucky to have hit the post and not scored, great shot also that dodgy push should have been a foul surely? more of the same deano!

Lisbie - 7, looks impressive for the 10 minutes or so he was on, is going to be a great threat, pity its only one month and not longer! scored, but was offside, needs to use his left foot more thou, instead of playing for the corner surely he should have cracked it with is left foot?

Hendo - came on and looked positive, which is a good thing, all these reserves being called up is doing us a great turn. brennan and mcveigh are great examples to back at that statement.

lay off the lad give him a chance!

Green - 8 A clean sheet and could not have done anymore. one world class save, kust wish he wouldn''t try to punch everything.

Colin - 7, solid performance but still needs to try and overlap marney more and attack the opposition fullback.

Shackell - 8, quick and solid, is improving as a player with everygame.

Fleming - 7, back to his best. made interceptions and got his body in when it mattered.

Drury - 7 looked much better with brennan in front of him. had the confidence to overlap knowing brennan would drop deep.

Marney - 6 not one of his best games for us, energy was superb as usual but it just didn''t happen for the lad.

Safri - 8 good performance and distribution was superb, who said we didn''t have a playmaker in the team!

Hughes - 7, getting better but always worried when he goes steaming in.

Brennan - 7, solid and hard working with his confidence building.

McVeigh - 9, Like having a new striker, skilfull and tricky and at last somone who tries to go past players.

Ashton - 9 much sharper unlucky not to have had more goals.

Lisbie - 6, needs to look sharper in front of goal but this will come with match practice.

Hendo - still looks to lightweight

MCveigh 9 ?? I think that''s a bit exaggerated.

He played well but 9/10 I don''t think so.

That''s probably the best balanced side we could field without Hucks and with Huckerby returning to partnerAshton our best starting XI.

Is it just me or are other people worried about the return of Huckerby. Yes he is our most creative player but whuen he plays we just seem to give him the ball and expect him to do the rest, and wwith Brennan and McViegh both showing good form where will he fit in. IMO at the current time this is our strongest TEAM;

Green

Colin Doherty Fleming Drury

Marney Hughes Safri Brennan

Ashton McViegh

Know, when Huckerby returns I wouldnt want hem replacing Brennan or McViegh, the only place I would put him is in to replace Marney but as we all know Hucks is much less effective on the right. We have a bit of a catch 22 situation.

I''m worried Hucks will return and unballance what for once looked like a nicely ballanced side. It''s up to the players around him not to depend on him so heavily

Ive noticed that whenever Hucks plays on the wing, we look extremely vunerable on that flank. I think we should play with Hucks up front with Ashton or behind 2 strikers in a sort of 4-3-3 (4-1-2-1-2)

GK-Green

RB-Colin CB-Shackell CB-Fleming LB-Drury

DMC-Safri RM-Hughes LM-Brennan AMC-Huckerby

FW-McVeigh FW-Ashton

Or have i been playing too much Football Manager?

DM - Perhaps we could play this against weak teams at home - but on other occasions, I think the midfield will either be overrun or too narrow

I agree aobut feeling worried about Hucks. However, can you imagine going to Ipswich witohut him in the starting line up. Don''t be silly.

I think you are all very generous with your nines, bu tdid think McVeigh was a breathe of fresh air. I seriously doubt McKenzie will get a look if McVeigh puts in more performances like that.

I also predicted all three goals scorers. Shame one was disallowed.

if we carry on this form then i think the only place he will fit in is up front. He would score lots of goals there too. We could have done with him towards the end when things went a bit flat

Defence

Thought Green was superb and THE reason for us keeping a clean sheet.  The central pairing were disorganised with Shacks confidence draining as he covers for the too deep sitting, pace lacking, ball fearing quiet Fleming (Hughes and Drury both ''captained'' the team more effectively). Both central defenders were adequate in the first half and poor in the second when given a run around by a strike force likely to be the worst in the league.  A different partner for Shacks has to be tried...  

Colin was sound (best game so far - if scared of going forward) and Drury demonstrated why he is our best left back.

MidfieldSafri was classy again.   Marney drifted into the centre too often and used the ball poorly,  he was more effective in central midfield.   And far better than the headless Hughes (this seasons undroppable midfielder?) - one of worthys long distance runner who cant actually use a football. Brennan did nothing wrong but was not involved enough.  

The midfield was more balanced without Hux but conversely far less effective.

Forwards

Ashton benefited hugely from WLY close by presence - his best performance so far; buthe remains over weight and has an over confident air of a player who expects to tunr up and score.  Other sides will not forgive missing a one on one or a free header no hitting a target.  WLY was as superb as he can be - can he do it two games running is his challenge?

Team score?  6 Superb result but big improvements needed still needed.

Sorry Zipper - respect and all that but I can''t agree with your comments about Hughes.

Saturday was the first time I''d seen him and after reading the opinions on this board of those who had, I was expecting a hard tackling donkey.

In the first half hour, his passing was exemplary.  He made the first goal with A BEAUTIFUL PASS to WLY which was about his fourth.  He was also heavily involved in the second.

Like everyone else he ran out of ideas in the second half but I was impressed.

OK, he''ll never be Ian Crook but a great improvement on poor (in all senses) Gary Holt last season.  He can run and tackle but can use the ball as well

[quote]Defence Thought Green was superb and THE reason for us keeping a clean sheet. The central pairing were disorganised with Shacks confidence draining as he covers for the too deep sitting, pace lackin...[/quote]

Zipper - I agree with you about the defence but I suspect if Pearce comes in on loan then Worthy will opt for Fleming/Pearce at the back, even though its Flemin causing all the problems. I''ve been pushing for Doherty to be given a run to see if he can find some form and forge a partnership with Shackell. Either way, its Fleming that needs replacing. There were times when we looked a total shambles at the back and better teams would punish us.

In midfield we disagree. Saffri was excellent. Marney put in some excellent crosses but seemed reluctant to get stuck in and seemed incapable of going past their fullback. Hughes was very effective though. I have not been to every match but this guy is just what we need. He was the main driving force from midfield, distributed the ball very well and was very positive. Ok he''s prone to the occasional illadvised lunge but all in all he was a big player for us on Saturday and theres no denying it.

Up front is difficult to guage. I''m not sure why Ashton gets the harsh treatment but he will always be a starter. I think if Hucks gets in for the Ipswich game then it should be as Ashtons partner. McVeigh did enough to be given another chance and Lisbie looks like a livewire (Charlton fans would prefer headless chicken but we can only judge on his performances for the canaries).

I also thought Hughes had a good game, and was a MOTM contender.

Green - 7, 2 or 3 good saves, but he was well beaten by the cross/shot that hit the crossbar

Colin - 6, Good on the attack and some good crosses, but a bit suspect defensively

Shackell - 7, A couple of silly mistakes, but apart from that he looked solid

Fleming - 6, Looks lacking in confidence? If we get a good loan CB in its his place at risk surely

Drury - 8 I thought he had a really good game

Marney - 6 Generally good but poor with the dead ball and some late tackles.

Safri - 7 typical Safri performance, would have been 8 if not for the stupid high kick which SHOULD have been a penalty

Hughes - 7, Most of his tackles were good (lucky not to get a yellow for a couple of late ones though) and some excellent passing (mostly, again some poor passes too)

Brennan - 6, Solid and got into good positions (he would have converted the OG if the Plymouth defender hadn''t done it for him)

McVeigh - 7, More effective than Leon, if not as full of running. Worked well with Deano.

Ashton - 7 getting back to his best but was offside too much and should have scored more

Lisbie - 6, will surely get better, getting into good positions but didn''t make the most of it

Hendo - not enough time to judge

The defense is the worry area (aside from general squad size especially in Midfield). In the Championship winning season they were greater than the sum of their parts, currently they are less than the sum of their parts. This must be down to confidence, training and leadership. Fleming has to have competition for his place, and we need a new CB asap to give him that competition. We are also missing the experience of Helveg at RB, but I like the look of Colin and he should be given more games to settle.

Sorry Zipper, have to add to the voices condeming your verdict of Hughes. I''ve been to 4 home games this season and he has been solid, and he''s growing in stature all the time. His passing is good as is his tackling. If you count Saturday he''s had 2 assists this season for McVeigh and Ashton. How can that be a bad player? And I like it that we have a player now who is full blooded (and yes, sometimes 2 footed) in the challenge.