Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Southampton sack Pellegrino

Theyre in real danger of going down.

This is a really good example that despite the complaints on here that our board dont have enough money, that they wasted the prem money, that they dont know what theyre doing, that they dont hold onto players we need to, that they messed up the chance for us to be an established prem team.....

Any team other than the top 6 are only a bad run, or a managerial choice that doesnt work out away from being in a real relegation scrap.

To be fair they have been dire this season. Probably should have got shot of him much earlier. I''d rather have them come down than West Ham though.

Any team other than the top 6 are only a bad run, or a managerial choice that doesnt work out away from being in a real relegation scrap.

Ask the bottom two teams in the Prem, supporters and owners, if they are happy they pushed Pulis out.

[quote user="hogesar"]Theyre in real danger of going down.

This is a really good example that despite the complaints on here that our board dont have enough money, that they wasted the prem money, that they dont know what theyre doing, that they dont hold onto players we need to, that they messed up the chance for us to be an established prem team.....

Any team other than the top 6 are only a bad run, or a managerial choice that doesnt work out away from being in a real relegation scrap.[/quote]That is the reality of the PL.All too often clubs that have thrown everything at staying up, fall like a stone when they finally do drop out of the PL.With WBA looking pretty certain to go down any one of eight (or more) above them could be joining them. Great for spectators with a sense of the ''ghoulish'' but not for clubs in that position.What of the four or five between those looking to share out the Champions League places ? A truly stagnant situation. The whole PL that is.

Well, in fairness, the stats this season say that (Pardew and WBA aside), every managerial change has improved the points gain of every side.

I guess that''s kinda what happens when you continuously sell your best assets.

Such an interesting season in the Prem, so many long running Prem sides in danger of coming down. Great for the neutral! Also great for the promoted clubs to have a good chance of staying up

Despite all the talk of clubs wanting to become established "Premier League teams," there''s only really the top 6 + Everton who fit into that category. For all the money owners may throw at it, they are only a bad managerial appointment away from relegation. Football clubs, like everything else tend to regress to the mean.

''Also great for the promoted clubs to have a good chance of staying up''

Is that because they haven''t been afraid to ''give it a go''?

Brighton & Huddersfield are new teams in the Prem, because of that everybody expected them to go down. Therefore they have had nothing to lose in terms of having a go and expressing themselves.

Compare that to the 40point club who are that scared of relegation they play within themselves, scrapping for just a point, that they end forgetting to try & play football for fear of losing?

Yeah it won''t happen every week for Huddersfield and Brighton, but at least they have showed little fear. A bit like us under Lambert?

Next season will be the same. The promoted teams will adapt quite easily to the league. The top 6 or 7 has been the same since September ,2 or 3 clubs in the middle and the rest fight it out amongst themselves for survival.

Being so called established PL teams doesn''t seem to help them bounce back. Bolton, Blackburn, Fulham and Sunderland were all relegated after spells as long as Southampton, WBA, Stoke etc. Where as QPR, Norwich and Hull have managed to bounce back after competitively short spells up there. I wouldn''t risk much money on Southampton, WBA or Stoke to bounce straight back if they are relegated this season.

Correct me if i am wrong but haven''t WBA  been up and down like a whores drawers more than anyone else since the Premiership was formed ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]up and down like a whores drawers...[/quote]No surprise to find plod sniffing around.......[:D]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Correct me if i am wrong but haven''t WBA  been up and down like a whores drawers more than anyone else since the Premiership was formed ?[/quote]I make it that they have been promoted four times (if you count getting there in the first place, not being founder members, as we were) and relegated three times, so seven switches, if you count the first promotion. We have been relegated four times and promoted three times, so also seven switches.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Looking good for eight in a couple of months.[/quote]
I knew you were a happy clapper really Til. Predicting promotion in our current position! [:)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Correct me if i am wrong but haven''t WBA  been up and down like a whores drawers more than anyone else since the Premiership was formed ?[/quote]I make it that they have been promoted four times (if you count getting there in the first place, not being founder members, as we were) and relegated three times, so seven switches, if you count the first promotion. We have been relegated four times and promoted three times, so also seven switches.[/quote]I should say I am not overly familiar with the peregrinations performed by the underwear of ladies of the night so I cannot be sure my statistics go any way to demonstrating that Mr Tilson''s simile is accurate or appropriate.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Being so called established PL teams doesn''t seem to help them bounce back. Bolton, Blackburn, Fulham and Sunderland were all relegated after spells as long as Southampton, WBA, Stoke etc. Where as QPR, Norwich and Hull have managed to bounce back after competitively short spells up there. I wouldn''t risk much money on Southampton, WBA or Stoke to bounce straight back if they are relegated this season.[/quote]
[quote user="TIL 1010"]Correct me if i am wrong but haven''t WBA  been up and down like a whores drawers more than anyone else since the Premiership was formed ?[/quote]
I don''t think for one minute that WBA, Stoke or Southampton are established in the PL.  Which is why I said "so called". And my argument has been this for several seasons. Take a look at the consecutive seasons the current lot have been there...

Everton 64

Liverpool 56

Man Utd 43

Tottenham 40

Chelsea 29

Man City 16

--------------------

Stoke 10

WBA 8

Swansea 7

Southampton 6

West Ham 6

Palace 5

Leicester 4

Bournemouth 3

Watford 3

Burnley 2

Newcastle 1

Brighton 1

Huddersfield 1

Sunderland went last season after 10 consecutive seasons. The other clubs I mentioned Bolton were relegated after 13 seasons, Fulham after 13 seasons and Blackburn after 11 seasons. You could maybe add Wigan and Portsmouth who had 7/8 seasons? My point remains that of late it seems more likely that clubs relegated after a 2 or 3 seasons have more chance of bouncing back up. I haven''t done a deep research on it though, it''s just something that came into my head with the confidence in Southampton top bounce back should they be relegated. They might do? But the stats don''t say it''s easy. I would hazard a guess that the longer time spent in the PL the more players you have who are not suited to the championship. Just a guess though.
West Brom are now on their 8th consecutive season. Only 8 clubs have been there longer.