Sign in to follow this  
Bill

So farewell John Motson

" This is almost fantasy football" as Bowen made it 2-0. Our greatest ever match commentated by an absolute legend. Proof that you don''t need to be an ex player to commentate on football.

"There''s some people on the pitch.....

... it must be West Ham "

Thought the message meant he had passed on to that New Stadium being built by the Russians upstairs

[quote user="daly"]Thought the message meant he had passed on to that New Stadium being built by the Russians upstairs[/quote]No, he is still with usunlike the late King Edward

Motty is not royal ..................he''s just a common tater

Definitely better than his rival Barry Davies who was too far up himself.

At least Motty commentated like the nerd at the front of the coach on away trips.

Much preferred Barry Davies, who only spoke when he needed to instead of the cliche ridden Motson.

Motson became a parody of himself, though the ''pretend live'' stuff did he no favours.

Motson was one of the most irritating commentators I''ve ever heard. He knew nothing about football & his comments were akin to those of a 12 year old girl who''d never seen a football match before. (" ooh what was he thinking of there, ooh I''m sure he didn''t mean that, ooh now that''s an interesting decision by the ref ... ) jabber jabber jabber. And all pointless.

Barry Davies was peerless. Only spoke when it served to clarify & inform, but could get as genuinely passionate about a piece of footballing magic as any other fan. He was a class act & I really miss his commentaries.

I listened to the game on Sunday and thought he was pretty awful to be honest-didn’t seem to know what had happened quite a lot of the time-compared to the rugby commentator, Ian Robertson is it, who is also retiring this season. I don’t like rugby but I listened to the Scotland v England match and he was excellent.

He decided to quit before he got assigned to one of our games - despite all his experience he couldn''t think of a way to make us sound interesting.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Motty also has more than a whiff of bin....
John Motson in action with Boby Robson in 1980. (Photo by Owen Hines)
[/quote]Possibly the finest one armed commentator this country has produced...............and if he is knighted then let''s hope the Queen doesn''t set about his remaining limbs like the Black Night in the Holy Grail