Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Next Season Squad

So this season''s basically over (bar trying to finish above Scum) so thought i''d get going on talking about next season.

So there will be a load more players leaving both for big money (Madders) and deadwood (Naismith etc.)

Gunn probably will go on to bigger and better, so I thought i''d get started on players i''d like to see us go in for:

Dean Henderson - on loan from Man U (unless they''ll sell him). Been excellent for Shrews this season on the back of the successful England U20 campaign. Looks the next best thing for us to turn to if Gunn can''t stay.

Omar Beckles - Another one who has starred for Shrews this season including a colossal MOTM performance to send them to Wembley recently. I first noticed him playing for Accrington vs West Ham last season where he basically ended Simone Zaza''s West Ham career and he backed it up again with a terrific game versus them this season. Ideal left sided defender who would help fill the void that Kloses likely departure will leave. He is a Glenn Hoddle academy graduate after being released as a youngster but has stepped up a division comfortably every season for the last few just like Bradley Johnson or Grant Holt did.

Further forward i''d be looking at Peterboro for Maddison and Marriott to a) replace our own Maddison and b) replace Nelson. 2 players who produce regularly albeit league 1 and are the right age to make their break at the higher level. If we have £30m burning a hole in our wallet from Madders and Oliveira, we could do a lot worse than placing some of that on these 2. They wouldn''t even have to move house either!

Loan slot 2 would be for Eddie Nketiah, the dream killer from the carabao cup campaign! Provided Arsenal are prepared to send him out on loan (Auba, Laca and Welbeck all in front of him atm) we won''t find better to take a punt on. Knows where the goal is, quick and powerful, probs a bit raw but that''s where we can help. Him, Morris, Marriott, Sberny and either Oliveira or another gamble from Germany and i''d be comfortable enough with our options.

I''d also look to make Leitner permanent if it''s not already a done deal provided it wasn''t any more than a couple of mill and the same with Reed who have done alright all things considered.

With the likes of Godfrey, Matthews, Thompson, Morris all to come back into the fold, maybe just maybe we might cobble something together that can compete at this level.

Any other players people have noticed?

Don''t forget Kenny McLean (no idea what he''s like mind).

Raggett seems to have gone off the radar recently. Bit concerning.

Ooh, & there''s always Jar ... sorry ....

If we can''t keep Gunn then I think we have to give Matthews a rather than loan another young keeper. He''s apparently been excellent for Plymouth so I''d be keen to see him thrown in.

Decent thinking OP but can we afford it without parachutes?

£30m combined for Madders and Oliveira? Ambitious or what?

Coventry must have more than hefty sell-on clause for Maddison and Oliveira''s value is dropping before our eyes.

I think we''ll have to rely on Remi in goal.

@broadstairs

You make that sound like a negative- I''d honestly say it''s probably better for the club to promote a youngster from within than rely on loanees from Premier League clubs.

If we are to be ''self funding'' then we need the likes of Lewis and Matthews to get in the first team and increase their value.

"@broadstairs

You make that sound like a negative"

Didn''t intend to I''d love him to step up .... he''s a good un.

I do think some of the younger prospects can soften the blow of players leaving.

Tettey and Reed replaced by Godfrey and Thompson maybe and Gunn replaced by Matthews.

The real concern is in replacing players like Maddison and Nelson. I know Nelson isn''t popular but strikers with any real track record do not come cheap.

No way they’ll be anything like that sort of squad overhaul.

We might replace Gunn and Maddison and that will be about it.

This is Webber and Farkes squad, and the one that is supposed to come to fruition after this ‘transition’ (unbelievably extended honeymoon period) season.

Theres no way Webber will ship the likes of Vrancic, Steipermann and Husband out, so we’d better get used to seeing more of them next season.

i don''t think it is the squad we have to worry about ,we have / had a strong squad this season for the championship

but tactics and style of play have let us down

we often see lesser players who play as a team with the right manager doing well

i think its more to do with what webber / farke do with tactics and style of play than what players we have we could have kane up front and still not score the way we are set up with defence minded tactics

£25m for madders, £5m for oliveira.

But yeah that’s ambitious admittedly. Even so though, we wouldn’t need anywhere near that for them 2. £10m for both and Peterborough would snap our hands off. Add the other suggestions, none of them are very expensive deals and id be happy.

The fact that Naismith has been shite at Hearts and Jarvis immediately reinjured himself does have me worried. Shifting at least one of those two (along with Martin) is crucial to our budgets next season I think.

I’d be happy with those signings - but they’re not cheap, crap, and German.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]No way they’ll be anything like that sort of squad overhaul.

We might replace Gunn and Maddison and that will be about it.

This is Webber and Farkes squad, and the one that is supposed to come to fruition after this ‘transition’ (unbelievably extended honeymoon period) season.

Theres no way Webber will ship the likes of Vrancic, Steipermann and Husband out, so we’d better get used to seeing more of them next season.[/quote]
Vrancic is a good player so shipping him out would be stupid anyway.
Steipermann and Husband have been bit-part / utility players so don''t see the problem with them staying around either.

Unless some of the German players are to go back, i would think the signings will have to be UK based, are we not already at the margins of what we are allowed with the domestic players quota?

I don''t think that will be such a big deal next season though - it''s pretty clear that Nelson will be leaving this summer, Tettey also likely moving on, Franke probably won''t be in the squad next season - either loaned out or sold - and if you take all sentiment out of the equation and base decisions purely on what players can offer on the pitch next year (which is basically Webber''s job) I don''t think Wes has enough left in the tank to justify taking up one of the limited non-UK slots either, sad as that is.

With Jarvis, surely it''s time we came to some kind of deal and paid off his contract and released him? Seems unlikely to play for us again with these endless injuries and you have to wonder about his level of motivation at this point too... I mean, if you get paid regardless and you''ve been repeatedly injured and clearly risk aggravating the injury every time you play, how hard are you going to push yourself to get back into a middling team with nothing to play for that''s completely moved on and had probably a 95% turnover of playing staff since you joined? He needs a fresh start elsewhere IMHO.