Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Watkins in Welsh squad

I wonder on what grounds he got his callup. He''s not playing regularly. He''s not playing well!

Agree they must be desperate!

If ever you needed the proof that Ryan Giggs will fall into the bracket of a great player but a $hite manager this call up answers it.

To be fair, he might not be good at passing, heading, holding the ball up, tackling or scoring but he is quite good at running around on his tiptoes for 90 mins, lets give credit where it''s due

I hope he plays and gets some confidence. I feel sorry for the guy, and hope he comes good.

[quote user="FCC"]I hope he plays and gets some confidence. I feel sorry for the guy, and hope he comes good.[/quote]

Is that Mrs. Watkins?

I''ve been hoping he does well all season, so far it just hasn''t happened. Bet he couldn''t believe his luck when he signed his contract for us!

I might be wrong, but doesn''t have only have one previous cap for Wales? It does seem quite an odd call up based on recent form. Apparently he''s played 23 games for us this season in the league, not scoring and getting 1 assists, the same number of red cards he''s managed to get too.

Last season he scored 10 goals and got 9 assists across 42 games which isn''t a terrible return considering he played a number of games as a RW or LW attacker. Interestingly, he scored 6 goals (60%) whilst playing as a CF. So, maybe we''re just playing him out of position?

What on earth do we do to strikers that join this club?!

@AJ

From memory Barnsley were a very attacking team last season so scored quite a few which may explain his output a touch.

I just don''t see anything that justifies his place in the squad based on the style Farke is trying to make us play. With our inability to score he adds to that issue if selected and I would expect better players to be playing for Norwich City if we are to be further forward in the table.

[quote user="king canary"]@AJ

From memory Barnsley were a very attacking team last season so scored quite a few which may explain his output a touch.[/quote]
Yeah, Barnsley scored the 8th highest amount of goals. But if we''re going to put that down to one season of being attacking rather than his ability then I kind of feel like people should have listened to me 2 months ago when I said I didn''t think Oliviera was as good as we thought, since we were joint top scorers last season!

[quote user="andrew norwichcity"]I just don''t see anything that justifies his place in the squad based on the style Farke is trying to make us play. With our inability to score he adds to that issue if selected and I would expect better players to be playing for Norwich City if we are to be further forward in the table.[/quote]

I think one of the reasons is he qualifies as home grown. By my reckoning, we only have 10 homegrown players currently available, including 2 goalkeepers - Gunn, McGovern, Lewis, Husband, Raggett, Hanley, Murphy, Maddison, Reed, Edwards and Marley Watkins.

[quote user="king canary"]True

Same with Jerome though isn''t it...[/quote]
Yeah, although less so, because Jerome has done it for more than half a season. And as we''ve discussed before, although I think you disagree (can''t remember) on top of that you get much better work rate, more pace, better ability to hold the ball up and better aerial presence. I actually think selling Jerome has probably affected us more than Pritchard, as we''ve just not had another realistic option up front. I guess i''m saying that in reference to the Jerome we''ve had generally moreso than his performances for us this season which weren''t great.

Good luck to him.

Well said. Cannot believe people aren''t pleased for one of our players to called into an international squad.