Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Are we moving forward

Gutto, for me the upside of this season looking forward is how we''ve brought the age down. The age of the squad is definitely a criticism I''d offer using hindsight. We had too many players who were past a time where they improve. Although Wes is the exception. I still think he improves ☺just may not be athletic enough anymore for a championship season slog.

[quote user="The gut"] ........... My only real criticism of anything NCFC is that I think the current manager should have changed tactics several games ago. I do believe that our players are capable of better results playing under different tactics..........[/quote] Then would you like to explain what that belief is based on and what those different tactics should be? And playing that way, if everyone in the squad were fit, what would your first-choice team be?

Tactically we are too predictable and far to slow in the build up

I understand the theory that while your team has the ball, the opposition can''t score but while we spend most of game passing the ball around in our own half, we wont score either

With no forward players who can win a header or hold the ball up, it becomes rather worrying

If I were an opposing manager - I wouldn''t feel I had too much to worry about facing Norwich

The only tactic I didn''t like of Alex Neil was his stubborness with substitutions.

The real criticism of him I have was that he was out of his depth spending the club''s money.

Maybe a Dof alongside him would have produced a cracking entertaining side. A Dream Team even.

The players he brought in to the Prem squad were not up to that standard and for some reason, he couldn''t get them to perform at a league lower.

And I don''t know how he would have felt working with a DoF.

I only think age is important DoubleN is if you are hoping to build a dynasty perhaps. The quality is to me the most important factor. Although younger players will hopefully attract a higher transfer fee, which is more likely the case than a long lasting squad that grows together.

Hi Westie, I think you will find that I have already explained this in this thread, in simple terms. If not in this thread it is probably in the “webberlution” thread. While you’re reading through you’ll probably find I’ve asked you a couple of questions that you have not responded to.

I’m not going to go into greater detail because it is quite complexed and I don’t intend to make the pinkun messageboard my full time recreation area. However, the simple explanation should be enough for the purpose of this discussion board.

I think AN''s squad would have got promoted (or at least to the playoffs) last year under a different manager. He lost many of the senior players with his ''I know best, do as I say'' approach. Experienced players - who would have been in most Championship squads - effectively downed tools as they didn''t respect him.

Not really beardo. With so many apparently not renewing it will be more interesting to see the first gate next season when we will know how many actually want to be there.

Thanks for that Nutty. But I''m going to stick to my view on that. Empty seats that have already been purchased and all that. No idea how many are "apparently" doing anything. That''s something I guess you have a better handle on than me.

That''s why I used the word "actual" .

Of course we won''t actually know - unless we are sat there and can see the seats around us.

The DF article on another topic practically answers the OP.

The club see us as where they expected us to be. So I guess they are expecting one step backwards and two forwards.

We''ve generally had very good attendances all season, and by that I mean looking at the ground rather than the official figure. Of course there are some empty seats but the fact is we''ve still had a solid 23k min for practically every game despite poor results at home.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]The DF article on another topic practically answers the OP.

The club see us as where they expected us to be. So I guess they are expecting one step backwards and two forwards.[/quote]This thread, like most threads, thrives on the ambiguity of the title question. Good job you didn''t post that immediately after Samwam27''s OP keelansgrandad! 

My point was, and I quote

An interesting measure - the actual gate tomorrow.

No mention of good or bad, just a measure.

A measure, against other matches.

We may sit in our seats and be aware of very few seats around us being vacant, or we may see rather more space than usual.

Anyone that thinks that a club "moving forward" isn''t measured by actual attendance is more than entitled to think that way or indeed feel that this is in some way ambiguous.

Lets see.

Trouble is Westie, some people will not accept a step backwards as if we have some divine right to succeed at everything.

The football is dire and even Hughton had his moments of carefree, attacking football which is plainly absent from the current style of play.

And we can pick on individuals as easy to blame for the current malady.

And we do. I watched Tuesday''s match and in posting was critical of individuals as well as the tactics. But that is reaction and emotion, probably to a lack of the same on the pitch no doubt, while the game is being played.

When the fire goes out and a new dawn rises, pragmatism takes over and hopefully more reasoned arguments.

And if DF is correct that the Board see us as a"pupa" at the moment but expect a beautiful butterfly to emerge in the future then we can''t argue with that.

The board knows it made errors or else they wouldn''t sack anybody. But what can they really do except try again? There are going to be three maybe four bunches of supporters overjoyed at the end of this season and the majority will just get on with it. And three will be in tears.

We won''t be in tears even if our necks are sore from shaking our heads too often.

@keelansgrandad
Yet I''d guess the vast majority of us have done exactly that at some point in our lives -- taken a step back to move forward I mean. Re. trying again, the heartening thing this time is that it isn''t just another all change, all the eggs in one basket managerial gamble.

One of the greatest times I have had recently Westie was supporting City away in League 1.

Different grounds to visit and supporting a team that was confident, attacking and of course winning. Nothing better on a long journey home of course.

Many saw that as ignominy. I saw it as an opportunity.

[quote user="GPs Beard"]Thanks for that Nutty. But I''m going to stick to my view on that. Empty seats that have already been purchased and all that. No idea how many are "apparently" doing anything. That''s something I guess you have a better handle on than me.

That''s why I used the word "actual" .

Of course we won''t actually know - unless we are sat there and can see the seats around us.[/quote]
Well Beardo, the way I see it is that all those folk who aren''t renewing, and we''re told there''s thousands, are hardly be motivated to turn out on a day like tomorrow. And they''re not likely to use buy back as a reduction on something they''re not going to buy is pointless. 
As for me, I''ve already changed my seat location in case the forecast is true. But I''ll wager the seat I''ve swapped from remains empty. But if there''s snow and ice on the ground that will be me stuffed and I''ll have to stay at home anyway : -

Warnings affecting Norwich

• Between 00:05 Sat 17th and 23:55 Sat 17th

A band of rain will turn more widely to snow early Saturday morning followed by scattered snow showers through the remainder of the day. These showers may become more prolonged, particularly during the evening. Any melting of lying snow will lead to an ice risk on untreated surfaces on Saturday morning and night. Travel delays on roads with some stranded vehicles and passengers, along with delayed or cancelled rail and air travel is possible. Some rural communities could become cut off and power cuts may occur. Some injuries from slips and falls are possible on icy surfaces.

So if the worst happens and I have to miss my first game of the season I hope you don''t use my absence to make a point that isn''t relevant [:)]

I can not really see a big drop in fans going as most have paid with season tickets already next season will be the measure of fans renewing

the only thing i think that will still see the same amount of fans is that IF farke can find that attacking flair next season may be a big season for us but i think he will need to show it before the end of season before fans renew

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]
@keelansgrandad
Yet I''d guess the vast majority of us have done exactly that at some point in our lives -- taken a step back to move forward I mean. Re. trying again, the heartening thing this time is that it isn''t just another all change, all the eggs in one basket managerial gamble.[/quote]

I really do think it is quite interesting how we all see things so differently. For starters it seems to me that at Norwich we have never put so many of our eggs into the one basket as we have at the moment. Odd.

Also I wish to apologise to anyone I may have argued with on this thread. I must have misunderstood. If we are going backwards to move forwards then we are on track! We are definitely going backwards so if that was the plan all along then yes, we are on plan which is technically going forwards. I feel such a fool that I didn’t realise.

We have put all our Eggs in the Webber basket which for me is a worry ,

people have said it is the new model that if a head coach comes in and Farke is replaced in we can just continue without to much upheaval

Well the new H/C will want his coaches so thats just like a Normal manager

Plus it might not give us the change in direction as Webber will still be steering the ship That''s my worry

i think something has to change before next season Farke has got to get us more attacking and scoring a lot more

i think he has the tools already NO love or hate him he would score goals if the service was there

so next season we will be without our trump card of Maddison and NO and i imagine others will follow so we have to score more goals without the better players

This leads back to Farke and his tactics they have to change i hope he can but i just can not see him changing enough for success

[quote user="norfolkngood"]

i think he has the tools already NO love or hate him he would score goals if the service was there [/quote]I just don''t think that is right - he has looked great in flashes but at no point in his career has he been a consistent scorer. His best ever season was last year under AN - a respectable 15 goals but in fact that is the only season he''s made it into double figures.He''s in his tenth season and his eight club (obviously quite a few were loans whilst on Benefica''s books) and I think his career total is 53 goals in 242, so he''s useful when he''s in form and motivated but nothing there to suggest he''d be the main striker in a promotion/Premier League team. Cameron Jerome, by comparison, who most people seemed to write off has a record of 126 goals in 519 games which is much more impressive when you factor in that approx 50% of those games were in the PL.