Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Are we moving forward

Sooty - "Surely if the binners have one of these wealthy owners they should not be on a shoestring budget."[Y] Ditto a number of other clubs.

Marcus Evans is hardly pumping millions into Ipswich anymore and they haven’t had premiership money in a generation. Add that to their wilting fan base and it’s a minor miracle they don’t finish bottom half more often. What’s their record spend over the last 15 years? About £2m? Wouldn’t even get you a proven league 2 striker these days so fair play to big mick for the job he does there. Another summer of freebies and cast offs and eventually Ipswich will run out of luck/skill and they’ll go down. We hopefully have a few seasons before that’s us, but the longer we are at this level, the harder it’ll become.

Once Gunn and reed go back and Maddison and Klose are sold in summer (I’m sure the money will be “already accounted for”) we have a tough job ahead of us. I only hope the likes of Morris, Godfrey, cantwell and Matthews are ready to step up and that the likes of josh Murphy can find an extra gear.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Marcus Evans is hardly pumping millions into Ipswich anymore and they haven’t had premiership money in a generation. Add that to their wilting fan base and it’s a minor miracle they don’t finish bottom half more often. What’s their record spend over the last 15 years? About £2m? Wouldn’t even get you a proven league 2 striker these days so fair play to big mick for the job he does there. Another summer of freebies and cast offs and eventually Ipswich will run out of luck/skill and they’ll go down. We hopefully have a few seasons before that’s us, but the longer we are at this level, the harder it’ll become.

Once Gunn and reed go back and Maddison and Klose are sold in summer (I’m sure the money will be “already accounted for”) we have a tough job ahead of us. I only hope the likes of Morris, Godfrey, cantwell and Matthews are ready to step up and that the likes of josh Murphy can find an extra gear.[/quote]He wasn''t ''pumping millions in'' before eitherPerhaps you could remind us all of the millions pumped in that gt us out of L1 and then into the PL.Whilst you are doing that I will point out those clubs who have had millions spent and are still in this division, or even in L1.Perhaps you could explain why S''oton are where they are despite the huge transfer fees they have received. Why such model clubs such as Swansea and WBA are where they are now as well.If not, I will tell you. Because there is no magic formula, no guarantees despite spending huge sums of money. Currently we don''t have huge sums of money. Parachute payments are much as what they say. Money to help clubs deal with contracts that go beyond the day they leave the PL. If simply bouncing back was that easy then at least half the Championship, and some of those even lower would be in the PL.So stop whining and predicting doom and maybe appreciate what you do have with City.

Lots of posters don''t appreciate what we have Sooty. A lot of people actually don''t appreciate what they have. They just look to other clubs/people and feel hard done by. I always count my blessings first and by the time I''ve done that I don''t feel hard done by anymore. Apparently I lack ambition although I''d say I have ambition but it''s not tied up with envy of others. Each to their own though[Y]

If we are moving forwards it’s taking a few hundred sideways passes to get there

In order to grow a crop for next year we sow the seeds now. Just need to grow the right things in the right places.

back to footie and we have competed with the very best in this league and the one above. Just remember we were close to beating the EPL champions and a team still credibly at the highest level in European football.

We have been too inconsistent however but its not been too bad in a season of massive restructuring.

‘back to footie and we have competed with the very best in this league and the one above. Just remember we were close to beating the EPL champions and a team still credibly at the highest level in European football’

Yet in 8 games against the current bottom 5 we have only managed to beat Birmingham.

I think your point Rogue Baboon also highlights the problem of the tactics and a sign that it can be resolved.

In simple terms we battled defensively hard in those games you mention. We did not look like we were going to be winners but we gave extremely good performances. When we went behind and had nothing to lose the whole team went into attacking mode, attacking in numbers at pace. Players going all out and playing without inhibition. Actually showing some of the skills that they possess.

It is impossible to say what would have happened but I am certain that if our players played with a little more freedom (I don’t mean with gay abandon before the sarcastic comments rain down) and we commit more players to attack (especially at home), attack at greater pace that this team is capable of better results and would be further up the table.

Of course we have not moved forward from last season but given the financial difficulties of the club neither have we fallen through the trap door like Sunderland. There are reasons to be both optimistic and concerned. The defence when we play 3 cb is as good as it has been for years. As far as making chances and scoring goals it is a concern even with madison in the side. His inevitable departure will strip us of about a third of our goals. The summer transfer dealings will determine if we inch forward or become a bottom third side there is an even chance of either

I largely agree with what you say Yorkshire, but not so much about the transfer dealings. Of even greater importance, I think is a tactical adjustment at times. Happy with the possession game in general but we do need to be be a little more direct on occasion to avoid being predictable + at other times take the opportunity to "get the ball into the box" a little more quickly. It may be wishful thinking on my part but I though we saw signs of that against Forest.

"Players going all out and playing without inhibition".
The siren call of English lower league football and -- until very recently -- youth teams. The prerequisite for playing without inhibition is quite simple: team-wide confidence that you can do so without sacrificing sound defensive structure and conceding goals. Without that it''s simply a recipe for entertaining failure, as we experienced under Adams and Neil, and were harshly reminded of on Saturday. You don''t achieve the perfect balance by sacrificing defensive solidity; you achieve it by improving your attacking play on the foundation of defensive solidity. 

"You don''t achieve the perfect balance by sacrificing defensive solidity; you achieve it by improving your attacking play on the foundation of defensive solidity"
Which is precisely what DF says is his current pre-occupation. So yes, we are moving forward, slowly, and with purpose.

“Players going all out and playing without inhibition".

The siren call of English lower league football and -- until very recently -- youth teams. The prerequisite for playing without inhibition is quite simple: team-wide confidence that you can do so without sacrificing sound defensive structure and conceding goals. Without that it''s simply a recipe for entertaining failure, as we experienced under Adams and Neil, and were harshly reminded of on Saturday. You don''t achieve the perfect balance by sacrificing defensive solidity; you achieve it by improving your attacking play on the foundation of defensive solidity.

You can’t see the inhibition Westie on your tv screen when we attack. I am not advocating the team ignores all defenceive tactics as I think I tried point out.

If you are going to copy and paste a sentence you should try and debate it in context. “Players going all out and playing without inhibition". Was mentioned as how we have played when we were losing with little time left remaining. Not as a recommendation for how to play. Come on, stop trying to have a smart4rse argument against something that wasn’t said and you haven’t seen.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]"You don''t achieve the perfect balance by sacrificing defensive solidity; you achieve it by improving your attacking play on the foundation of defensive solidity"
Which is precisely what DF says is his current pre-occupation. So yes, we are moving forward, slowly, and with purpose.
[/quote]

So just because our Daniel is now considering focusing on improving our attacking performance we are considered to be moving forward when in reality we are on track for our worst league position since 2008/09 (I will give you 2009/10 if you want). Surely this is laughable. At the moment NCFC are definitely not moving forward!

We''ve gone backwards with appalling consistency since the promotion final.

I expected better from DF and having Webber in charge of purse strings is frightening.

Look at the state of our squad now

One more season is all the they should be given.

Next season is going to be very hard the 3 teams who ever they are will be very strong and favorites to go up west ham crystal palace / stoke/ west brom any of them in the champs next season will make it very hard to go up

so we have to find a balance to score a lot more goals than we do now and with lesser players than we have this season

the strikers are feeding off scraps

To be honest, if the OP means are we progressing then yes.

The club decided the would take a different tack in the management of the club. The anticipated future finance, we understand, provoked this change.

A DoF, a coach and no CEO as such. So in terms of that brief we are moving forward.

As to whether the change is going to bring any progress in results and achievements will have to wait until next season at least.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]To be honest, if the OP means are we progressing then yes.

The club decided they would take a different tack in the management of the club. The anticipated future finance, we understand, provoked this change.

A DoF, a coach and no CEO as such. So in terms of that brief we are moving forward.

As to whether the change is going to bring any progress in results and achievements will have to wait until next season at least.[/quote] The brief also included establishing a sound and entertaining style of football to be played at all levels from youth teams to first team (having been "treated" to plenty of unsound but, at least in most eyes, apparently entertaining, football over the last few years). There are clear signs of progress on that front also, in particular in terms of soundness if less so, again in most eyes apparently, from the point of view of entertainment. 

The brief also included establishing a sound and entertaining style of football to be played at all levels from youth teams to first team (having been "treated" to plenty of unsound but, at least in most eyes, apparently entertaining, football over the last few years). There are clear signs of progress on that front also, in particular in terms of soundness if less so, again in most eyes apparently, from the point of view of entertainment.

I think entertainment is very important.

It is the old argument. The ground would be chocker if we were winning by hitting long balls and scoring. It would be called attacking and why mess about with the ball.

Trouble is, you eventually get found out and the ground empties as you start losing.

I would hazard a guess that most supporters don''t want to see that football in reality but want to see a progressive passing game.

Passing we have at the moment but it is far from progressive so does get boring. I''d wager you would get more applause from a shot at goal than a fifty pass movement that didn''t lead to anything.

There has to be a balance struck. And I don''t think we have that balance yet or anything near it. That is probably down to the players DF expects to carry out his tactics.

@keelansgrandad
Don''t disagree with any of that. We do have players who are comfortable with what they are being asked to do; others much less so, and that has the effect of slowing everything down. You don''t need Man City quality to play a progressive, passing game, but you do need players with the necessary confidence and understanding.  

Are we moving forwards?

Well, statistically no. Less points lower league position, less goals etc. But it can be argued that to move forwards we first had to go backwards.

We were never going to be able to build on the model we had - ageing squad full of high earners. To build we need money, which means selling some of your better players, so in the short term the quality of the squad decreases. This means you simply arent as good as other teams in this division.

Its been hard to watch though, cant wait for the season to be over

“Are you taking over

Or are you taking orders

Are you going backwards

Or are you going forwards?”

So Westie, when was the unsound football of the last few years? Few years? You said something similar the other day about the changes being required for sometime. What is your statmag saying to you, what are you seeing from your armchair?

I think I’ve been watching quite a successful club since our relegation to League One with relatively sound football. Making reasonable attempts to survive in the premier league and performing well in the championship. Even last season when unsuccessful at returning to the premier league we enjoyed one of the best ever seasons at Carrow Road.

Your stats are not adding up. Perhaps a little less time in the virtual world and finding a way to spend some time in the real world might be required.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]@keelansgrandad
Don''t disagree with any of that. We do have players who are comfortable with what they are being asked to do; others much less so, and that has the effect of slowing everything down. You don''t need Man City quality to play a progressive, passing game, but you do need players with the necessary confidence and understanding.  
[/quote]

Please share your facts Westie, give me the benefit of your knowledge. Who are the players less capable of doing what they are asked to do and therefore slowing everything down?

Well after Hull, and now Barnsley, I say again are we moving forward. It looks like these final games are going to be painful.

Whatever farke might be trying, or saying, no one seems to be responding