Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Are we moving forward

Yes we scored goals, yes the defense had a mare, and yes we had a dodgy ref, but even though this is a transitional season, are we really moving forward?

The defense has improved (yesterday aside) but we may lose a great keeper in Gunn come the summer.

NO failed to score again, doesn''t fit our system and has been poor in the goalscoring area all season. I think we must sell him and get at least two strikers in.

Madds aside, and we''re sure to lose him, so we need an attacking, goalscoring replacement.

And imo Murphy isn''t quite upto it, and I don''t want to start on Watkins. Do we need to replace these too aswell to give us more of a goal threat?

What are peoples thoughts on Hernandez so far?

It worries me that if you took Madds out of this team, we''d be in a relegation scrap for sure.

Thoughts?

We have been lacking a striker for far too long now and if NO and Watkins are the answer i really do wonder what the question is.

We’re moving to a structure which we can afford. It’s moving forward and adjusting budgets without 30 million parachute payments. Hard to accept but has to be done.

We can’t afford 8 million pound players anymore and need to buy smart and develop youth products, which lets be honest is far more satisfying then buying journeymen with big egos and little talent like Naismith.

The answer is clearly no.

Bottom half of the championship, below Ipswich, poor squad, owners who won''t invest in the business

There is not a shred of evidence that we are moving forward

It seems strange to say this but I am very accepting of the lack of strikers. I seriously do not believe there is a striker out there, let alone two, anywhere near what we could afford that would suit how we play.

The fact that Farke could pick a squad for a league game without a recognised striker tells you everything about the style of our play. Even more so that this had no noticeable impact on the result of the game.

I do not want the club wasting any money on strikers that are not going to be utilised.

Quite clear we have not moved forward. Sometimes though you have to re-set and go back a step to go forward two. This is what has happened. Sometimes though you go back a step and stay there. Proof is in the pudding. Performance, league position, attendances.

Not in my opinion.

We’re downgrading the squad beyond what’s required, and insisting on a style of football just not cut out for this league.

To quote Einstein, “the definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over again, and expect different results.”

We are one dimensional and predictable, trying to implement a style suited to players with a skill set much higher than what’s contained in our current squad, with the exception of one or two.

I think the answer depends on how old you are, and where you set the benchmark, as a middle aged duffer who stared watching Norwich City in 1976 we have spent more time out of the top tier than in it. so to me we are where we have always been, a small provincial city team that sells its best players to survive and has the occasional spell in the limelight........

Sorry Faded, but we spent 19 years out of 22 until 1996, not to mention cup wins and Europe, so being the same generation as you the last 21 years have been poor in relation to the previous 21. Each time relegated we got ourselves back up.

I know football moves on and as others say we have no right to expect premiership football, but the reality is every club should be positioned to be the best it can be and maybe given the current state of football every owner should be challenged by the fans, after all its not only managers & players that come and go owners do too, but the fans are there.

Certainly not on the pitch!Off the pitch possibly - time will tell, but the Academy facilities provide some hope as does the theory of the Sporting Director model.

By challenged I don’t mean hounded out, but made to be more open after each season, made to lay out the seasons plans and expectations to the fans and then open to any questions raised, not an AGM but a end of season review like we carry out after each project in my industry.

Our performances on the pitch and our not fit for purpose facilities off the pitch all point to us going backwards to the default position of some, which is, small team in a small City.... So frustrating and disappointing

[quote user="percy varco"]Could be worse. Could be West Ham[/quote]West ham are doing very well for their investors.
  • Turnover increase of 28.9% (£41.2m) from £142.1m to £183.3m
  • The club published a gross profit of £64.4m but this reduced to a

net profit of £43m after playing trading, taxation and interest.

The owners have also made millions on the loans that they charge to the club at rates of up to 7%.

Personally, I don''t want investors taking over the club, but I know that several on here do.

Moving forwards!? We’ve gone backwards this season quite drastically. A look at the league table and goals scored column will tell you that. I can’t see from here how we will be able to compete at the top end of this league for quite a while.

Selling any player assets of value, disposing of some portakabins by regearing the balance sheet, looking upwards to 1p5wich, home crowd merrily clapping away and happily thinking we’re moving ‘forward’. What a fiasco.

[quote user="JF"]Moving forwards!? We’ve gone backwards this season quite drastically. A look at the league table and goals scored column will tell you that. I can’t see from here how we will be able to compete at the top end of this league for quite a while.[/quote]Yes, how silly of usIt''s not as if we had a PL wage bill is it ?Or that we will see our income reduced by more than 505 next summer either ?

Yes, how silly of us

It''s not as if we had a PL wage bill is it ?

Or that we will see our income reduced by more than 505 next summer either ?

As per normal your level of arrogance/ ignorance completely misses the point.

Had to double check, 24 of the 45 seasons outside the top tier, and a lot of time in the old Division 1 around mid table, so from my time as a supporter we are "par for the course", fantastically average with the occasional high points. Like any other supporter I want better, I remain to be convinced by Farke/Webber and I have my concerns over the ownership of the club, but unlike other supporters I will not just write the club off........

[quote user=" Badger"]

Personally, I don''t want investors taking over the club, but I know that several on here do.

[/quote]Aside from the closet binners what the others want is some simplistic solution that will supposedly guarantee them their part in more success.it matters little how ''head in the sand'' that solution is as that is never addressed.Any wonder so much money has been made out of the gormless. I doubt if all those scam emails would have been sent from Nigeria if there wasn''t evidence that some worked.

Depends what youre comparing to.

You cant possibly say we are moving forwards in comparison to the years we had regular parachute payments or prem football. But then thats a massive ask and not really achievable in our current state.

With the wage bill having to be slashed and the other changes at the club its not too easy to read. All I can really say is the signings we''ve made on the cheap from Germany dont look like they cant cut it at this level (whether they are capable of top 6 is a different matter).

The only other thing you can really say is as the season has gone on we have generally improved at playing Farkes style of football. Hence only losing something like 2 games in the past 15.

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]Had to double check, 24 of the 45 seasons outside the top tier, and a lot of time in the old Division 1 around mid table, so from my time as a supporter we are "par for the course", fantastically average with the occasional high points. Like any other supporter I want better, I remain to be convinced by Farke/Webber and I have my concgerns over the ownership of the club, but unlike other supporters I will not just write the club off........[/quote]

Yes Faded but 17 of those seasons outside the top flight are since 1996, so this current new generation haven’t had the pleasure of being seen as a established top flight team, cup finals, FA cup semi finals, Europe and under the current football megamoney structure we’re not likely to see that for another 45 seasons!

It’s sad state of football in general that there’s the top 7 then the rest, all of whom can implode into debt and obscurity in a matter of thre or four seasons, we’ve had it sand bounced back, Southampton, Blackpool, Portsmouth, Wigan to name a few.

I suppose my best memories are from JB onwards, loved the teams we had back in the late 70’s early 80’s some great players.

Yes. We are now moving forward.

Early in the season our concept of Farke’s possession based game consisted of passing the ball around our own half. We didn’t even create chances. The performance against Burton was one of the most sterile performances ever seen. Many posters here thought we were in a relegation scrap.

Now, the defence (one bad game aside) is generally sorted, especially when Zimmerman is back and we can go to three at the back. We are capable of playing Farke’s possession based football in the opposition half for spells, and can create chances (which, granted, we can’t score). But against Bolton we could have gone in 4.-0 up at half time. I don’t think anyone who saw Burton and Bolton would say there’s been no progress, despite the same scoreline. No one thinks we’re getting relegated this season. So, yes, we are moving forward.

Have we slipped back compared to this time last year? Obviously. But we’ve had to cut our cloth according to the new financial realities.

Are we moving forward fast enough and far enough for the Webberloution to succeed? Don’t know.

The mood on here will swing with each result. But, actually, what happens in the Summer will be far more significant. Granted, Madders will go, but on a best case scenario we get the right price, buy a decent striker or two, persuade Leitner to stay, without Madders he could become the main man, and manage to tempt Angus back, everything clicks, and we challenge at the top. And several pigs just flew past my window. On a worst case, Madders goes cheap, Leitner and Angus have had enough, the Madders money isn’t spent on a striker and Sir Bennie leads the line in a relegation battle.

Not in the slightest. The fact we are "self funded" in an increasing environment of wealthy clubs, we are standing still while others overtake us.

I''m hoping somehow the Farke experiment works and we get a few decent attacking players in summer and become a more complete outfit but I fear the last bits of quality we have will be swept up by "bigger clubs" like Huddersfield, Wolves and Cardiff and we''ll be left to gamble with a load of unknowns who we blindly hope will recreate the Lambert days.

Until we have wealthy owners ready to put their money in, we are going to be stuck down here. Annoyingly, Ipswich continue to overachieve on their shoestring budget. I can only hope the fans manage to oust Mick McCarthy and they get what they deserve under some average replacement like Steve Cotterill or something and finally sink to league 1.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Not in the slightest. The fact we are "self funded" in an increasing environment of wealthy clubs, we are standing still while others overtake us.

I''m hoping somehow the Farke experiment works and we get a few decent attacking players in summer and become a more complete outfit but I fear the last bits of quality we have will be swept up by "bigger clubs" like Huddersfield, Wolves and Cardiff and we''ll be left to gamble with a load of unknowns who we blindly hope will recreate the Lambert days.

Until we have wealthy owners ready to put their money in, we are going to be stuck down here. Annoyingly, Ipswich continue to overachieve on their shoestring budget. I can only hope the fans manage to oust Mick McCarthy and they get what they deserve under some average replacement like Steve Cotterill or something and finally sink to league 1.[/quote]You seem to be contradicting yourselfSurely if the binners have one of these wealthy owners they should not be on a shoestring budget. Which rather  proves that wealth s not all as both Millwall and Preston demonstrate.If we were now the ''finished product'' I would understand the concerns. We are not, we are only just beginning.Sadly the previous few seasons swept up a fair amount of glory hunters who are now upsetting themselves as they find that being a fan of a football club is not always ''success all the way'' unlike every other club.

Whether or not we have moved forward is open to debate, but a few months back we were defintely moving backwards. The more important question is can we move forward from where we are now? Given the club''s finances, prospect of losing our most exciting player, a dour playing style, I can only predict several years of Championship mediocrity.Warnock, Bruce, Rowett and Pulis. A selection of top 6 managers, much maligned on here. Below that another selection of good quality British managers who know the Championship well and have developed their squads accordingly. It''s a huge gamble the model we are adopting.