Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Alex Neil's Preston

Seem to be enough of our ex managers playing with yo yo''s right now. AN took us up then down, he could do same at PNE, Hughton took Brighton up, Lambert is wearily trying to avoid the drop at Stoke. Not really bothered what any of them do, only guy who matters is DF.

Alex wasn''t a bad manager. What he was, was absolutely clueless in the transfer market where he managed to box himself into a corner and left himself unable to play the way he wanted. This also imo left him looking like he''d lost self confidence. Maybe at Preston he learned from his lessons here or has less control and or better scouting system than was here at the time.

Clueless in the transfer market ? Madison, Pritchard, yeah, terrible players. That’s without some of the good young prospects that could be in the first team next season. Not saying all his signings were great but let’s have a bit of perspective

All transfers are a gamble. Klose was great, then poor, then great. Wildschutt, erm. Maddison-an absoluter star....oh yes but AN never played him!

Let''s also remember AN was fantastic in his first season with us, then it all started going downhill. Maybe the same at Preston, but he''s doing a good job so far

''Clueless in the transfer market''

Wasnt Alex Neil''s tenure when they tried to bring in the ''football board'' with the emphasis being that the ''manager'' was left to manage the team and the ''board'' took care of other things.

Or was this Neil Adams? I forget. Either way, it didnt work. Though the current model seems to be trying to achieve a similar thing

Yeah he was clueless in the transfer market.

It isn''t just who he did sign (and a fair few of those were awful) but who he didn''t sign. Millions of pounds spent on players who all play number 10 and only one central defender signed.

Really?

Repeats of last seasons failings will do until Farke loses another one 😉

Let''s see if we can get this to rival the match thread....

Alex Neils biggest problem was losing his bottle after/during the newcastle debacle and then second guessing himself from then on

Alex Neil is a Very good manager

When he first came here and with Hamilton and Preston

He is given a set of players he will mould a team and get them playing as a team

When he got us up he was given more money than he had ever dreamed

i think he was a very young inexperienced manager and it came all a little to quickly he had only just got the scouting network set up then had to sign players for the PL all very quickly while still learning his trade

i think it swamped him a a little and maybe success went a little bit to his head

having said that he is proving with Preston he is no mug and he has maybe learned by his mistakes here and i am sure he will be a good manager in the future still very young

A big part of me believes if Alex hadn’t gotten us promoted his first season, say we lost in play offs or finished 7/8th position and he’d had another full season in the Championship he would have gotten us up that time and possibly kept us up. He went from player/manager in Scotland to a PL manager in less than a year at such a young age for a manager. Must have been such a steep learning curve and just a little too much.

We did play some good football under him and could have been so much more. I hope he does well in his career and in the future certainly wouldn’t be against him coming back with more experience under his belt.

Good post Gpele. Alex has achieved a lot for a manager so young.

Did you see I had you down for the Norwich picks for Cardiff on Apr 14th?

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Clueless in the transfer market ? Madison, Pritchard, yeah, terrible players. That’s without some of the good young prospects that could be in the first team next season. Not saying all his signings were great but let’s have a bit of perspective[/quote]

Yes he/ the club were clueless in the transfer market. Being clueless doesn''t just mean that he signed poor players it means he didn''t sign the right players he blatantly needed,'' round pegs for round holes. Did Maddison or Pritchard do the job for us last season? (Maddison made sense as understudy to Wes, the other two should never have been signed).

If my perspective is off because I fail to see how the club in our position needed Hoolahan, naismith, Pritchard and Maddison for basically the same role in the team also in a season we desperately needed to get back up and lacked a decent centre back, then I think I''m entitled to that opinion.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]''Clueless in the transfer market''

Wasnt Alex Neil''s tenure when they tried to bring in the ''football board'' with the emphasis being that the ''manager'' was left to manage the team and the ''board'' took care of other things.

Or was this Neil Adams? I forget. Either way, it didnt work. Though the current model seems to be trying to achieve a similar thing[/quote]

I think Alex must have had a big say in it though he seemed to be driving force for Andreu, McGovern, Dorrans and Naismith.

There was an interview with Neil early on this season in which he admitted what most of us had been saying for a while: that he changed his tactics too quickly in line with what the opposition were playing. He went on to say he''d seen the error of his ways, and it seems to be paying off for PNE, who are still in contention for the play-offs despite losing their main striker to West Ham.

Ultimately, that lack of conviction - just as with Hughton before - cost us our place in the Premier League though.