Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Reading

The mini beast came in with a vengeance this morning and it was right parky cycling into the teeth of a forty mile an hour wind laced with snow flakes. Somehow we got there before the joints seized up but it certainly wasn''t a day for the faint hearted. The crowd was looking a bit sparse at a quarter to three and many must have thought the pub or a warm arm chair was the sensible option.It was good to see Lewis back and in the absence of Tetty, Farke opted to bring in Reed and Mario Vrancic and also give Srbeny another start up front.  In the first minute Klose went down when a Reading player seemed to go right through him and the crowd were mightily displeased when no action was taken by ref Oliver Langford. it looked serious for a while but after prolonged treatment the big man was eventually allowed to continue.I was pleased to see City at last kicking towards the Barclay after a couple of poor results the other way and we were quickly into the action with Murphy speeding away down the left and a Reading defender deflecting his cross for an early corner. After a bit of scrappy play Reading were almost presented with an opportunity when Hanley stretched out a leg and nearly wrong footed Angus Gunn. Fortunately there was no pace on the ball and City cleared up well enough. With Murphy and Hernandez enjoying space on either flank, City were winning plenty or corners and it was from one of these that the home side took an early lead. Hanley could only glance Maddison''s corner across goal but Vrancic was all alone at the back post to nod it into the roof of the net to open up his City account. The goal put a bit of warmth into proceedings and another lovely ball over the top from the City goal scorer almost got Murphy in for a second.Mid way through the half and with City in the ascendancy, I deemed it an opportune time to nip out to the bog and those that read my reports will be well versed in the fact that this often signals a goal. My son said that Hanley had headed in from a corner but I didn''t see it and even missed the replay on the big screen. Uncanny I know, but this seems to happen to me at least once a season.So, it was all looking too easy and many may have started to think about a repeat of last seasons goal fest, but we were soon brought back to reality when Hanley fouled on the right of the box and although Gunn punched a swerving ball away, the defence could not complete the clearance. and the persistent Kelly, managed to eventually net  from the angle after a couple of attempts were blocked. After this the visitors came into the game for a while but when Srbeny''s nod on put Murphy away in the 37th minute, Maddison was all alone with just the keeper to beat when the cross came over. Jaakkola bundled into the City youngster to attempt the block but it was an obvious penalty and it was Madders again who did the honours with a low effort to the keepers right.Most satisfactory at the half but even with a tot of Mrs Ricardo''s special, it was colder than the morgue and with a wind chill somewhere near absolute zero.Another goal would put the game to bed and City were close to it a couple of times in the opening minutes of the second half but couldn''t find the killer touch. Both Murphy and Hernandez had good runs but the final pass was lacking and when on 52 minutes a swinging cross was deflected past Gunn by Smith it was hearts in mouths time again.The lively Hernadez almost restored the two goal lead just after the hour but the ball came back off the foot of the post and bisected Srbeny and Murphy as they went for the rebound. It was still mostly City but opportunities came and went as Murphy flashed one across goal and then Srbeny, who was having a much better game, bustled his way into a scoring position only to roll the ball past the far upright when it looked easier to score. Mr Langford''s yellow card saw plenty of action as Reading started to get desperate in their search for an equaliser and in truth I thought he was one of the poorer ref''s we''ve seen this season. His injury time decision to give the away side a goal kick when everyone in the ground could see it was a corner was just laughable.There were a couple of scrambles in the City goalmouth as we approached the final knockings but nothing that seriously looked like a leveller. Watkins, Wes and Zimmer came on to eat up time which duly came after five extra minutes.A decent enough win with encouraging signs from Hernandez, Srbeny and Vrancic but to be honest by this time I was just happy to be going home to a warm house.

Thanks Ricardo, good stuff as always.

Thank goodness it was a more entertaining game as the cold would have been too much for me otherwise. Felt we were more direct than for some of the recent games and used the pace of the wide guys better. Pleased to see Murphy involved in a couple of goals too.

Think I can justify a livener in the cuppa tonight!

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Thanks Ricardo, good stuff as always.

Thank goodness it was a more entertaining game as the cold would have been too much for me otherwise. Felt we were more direct than for some of the recent games and used the pace of the wide guys better. Pleased to see Murphy involved in a couple of goals too.

Think I can justify a livener in the cuppa tonight!
[/quote]Yes, I had another one in my tea when I got home. I don''t think I''ve ever felt so cold at CR as I did this afternoon.

i think if we set up like that and we play more direct like today we will win more than we lose

i think this is the way to play next season scoring goals wins games as proved today we might let a few more in but winning is what we needed

Thought we were very good today.

We played well going forward, Murphy and Hernandez both looked like they could beat their fullbacks with ease and Maddison was pulling the strings.

Vrancic was excellent from deep and seems to have caught up with the pace of the league. I also liked the fact we were willing to go forward quickly.

Think we were a touch unlucky with the goals- the first one the ball just dropped very kindly for them after some really good blocks. The second one was an absolute peach of a cross.

Longer term I''m not really sold on Reed- just a bit headless at times.

Good win today Rickyyyyyy and some good perormances from players who got chances through injury. We have a deeper squad than many would have us believe. Vrancic was my MOM. But all the forwards played well and I was impressed by Srbenny. He will be judged on his miss but for the first time I saw a player there. He''s started to get hold of the ball and bring others in to play.

Was cold though even though we moved seats for this one. Colder than Shetland?

Thanks Ricardo. I reckon even colder than up here in the north. Commentators singles out Hernandez and Vrancic today with an honourable mention of Dennis. You usually give your MOTM so just wondering from those there.....Nigel has voted for Vrancic. Good to read he is getting into the championship.

[quote user="king canary"]Thought we were very good today.

We played well going forward, Murphy and Hernandez both looked like they could beat their fullbacks with ease and Maddison was pulling the strings.

Vrancic was excellent from deep and seems to have caught up with the pace of the league. I also liked the fact we were willing to go forward quickly.

Think we were a touch unlucky with the goals- the first one the ball just dropped very kindly for them after some really good blocks. The second one was an absolute peach of a cross.

Longer term I''m not really sold on Reed- just a bit headless at times.[/quote]

Actually think Reed does a better job at right back

I actually thought Reed had a good game and would certainly not call him a headless chicken. All teams need a player like him who will chase and close down all day and his distribution is OK. On the other hand Pinto looked very subdued and off the pace. We were more direct and should have won comfortably but the lack of confidence with the final ball still prevails

Good report as usual Ricardo, bloody cold today. Vrancic edged it as my MOTM, but I thought Reed had a good game as did Srbeny. I agree with the post match comments from Murphy (who also had a decent game) that once Srben bags his first goal he will get a few more.....

A much more expansive game than has been the case. Which may explain some of the wayward crosses and passes into the box.Onel''s potential is starting to show, and Sir Benny seemed to have blossomed as well, though I think we will need a ''finisher'' of the MacDougall type. We don''t have someone who is the natural target, who will somehow be in the right place and can finish first time.But today showed we are heading in the right direction.......away from the need to keep possession as a means to stop the opposition (and us) from scoring. With the need to drastically reduce the playing budget we were never going to be able to replace the quality with players who had reached that level in their development. But certainly the raw material we have acquired do seem to be improving. And it is a measure of what is happening off the pitch (Colney) that players such as Klose, Pinto and Maddison stayed with us in January. And Spurs thought our set up was suited to try and get Edwards back on track.Coming in from the cold, so to speak.

Fine margins. Murphy put three great crosses into the "corridor" in the first half. A great striker on top of his game would have bagged at least two (one was where Hernadez shinned it and somehow got a corner) and everyone would have said what a great game Murphy had had.

Good performances all round, definitely a desire to move the ball forward more quickly - but it does have to be said Reading were one of the worst , if not the worst , I''ve seen at CR this season.

And , though it pains me to say it, Maddison needs to get out of the Championship and into the Prem , before the Useless Champ Refs allow him to be kicked to death. MOTD would have a field day with how teams queue up to kick him. Worst example this year was Sheffield Utd, but yesterday Reading weren''t far behind.

Did anybody else note the laughter that greeted the announcement of the gate (25,098)?It looked a lot thinner to me.

Didn''t notice it but it was definitely lower than that.

Both corners of the River End were pretty much empty and you could see big chunks of empty seat.

Thanks Ricardo - great report - **** it was cold.Agree that Vrancic was m.o.m., a couple of his passes were sublime. Like KC, I''m not totally sold on Reid in the holding role - he lacks the sheer physicality of Tettey, and at times, I thought that we looked a little vulnerable (perhaps, I''m being unfair - it could just be the consequence of the different system).Some people near me actually seemed angry when the attendance was announced and suggested that it was some sort of fix. I really can''t understand why people find it so hard to grasp that it is seats paid for that determine the attendance. As far as I am aware it''s universal - I think the inland revenue might have something to say if we started reporting the numbers that actually took their seats!

25,098......Wasn''t actually the ''official'' attendance, was it?...

If those who actually come through the turnstiles are counted ''in'' electronically.......Then why don''t they correlate these numbers of fan folk who''ve ''officially'' entered the stadium - which will then reflect the actual bums on seats?......

I do think this performance wasnt that different to other recent home games other than we took our chances. In fact first half against Bolton was a better performance if anything.

The main difference for me was having Vrancic who was willing to play balls over the top and in behind for Murphy and Hernandez, which in turn made them look far more dangerous.

Srbeny will be disappointed with his miss but i thought he worked hard and done well to bring others into the game, far better than Oliveira has done this season. And unfortunately I wouldnt have put money on Nelson taking that chance this season either. He is improving week on week so hopefully he continues getting a run, and gives the finger to the likes of Til who wrote him off as a Sloughbottom park player immediately.

Mello - because the main purpose of collecting the figures is for accounting purposes. Total revenue/ profit etc. is determined by the number of people who pay for tickets, not the number of people who watch. Same for all clubs and for other forms of entertainment - concerts/ plays and shows are "sell outs" when all the tickets are sold - it does not mean that all the seats are completely full. Book/ newspaper sales are determined by the number of people who buy a book, not the number that actually read it etc.

I accept Badger that the announced gate is for accountancy purposes but i do not understand why the numbers actually attending are not given as they must be aware to the stewards and emergency services in the event of evacuation from the ground.The number of tickets sold must be known at kick off so why wait until virtually the final whistle before putting it up on the scoreboard and announcing it over the public address system ?

Then why not put two attendances up on the board?......The ''unofficial'' for ''accounting purposes only'' attendance, followed by the true ''official'' and ''not for accounting purposes'' attendance, of those who enter Carra and are actually there sat on their plastic pews......

There was still about 23k in attendance in very cold conditions in a midtable clash with a yellow weather warning where more remote fans didnt travel (looking at the facebook groups etc).

So certainly nothing to worry about on the fan count. Plus if some didnt bother because of our home form i take personal comfort in them missing 3 first half goals from us.

Why is it so important to know the actual numbers. If season ticket holders don''t go they''ve still paid. They''re probably protesting - "I''ve paid for my seat and I''m not gonna go!" That''ll learn '' em.........

Dunno, if it''s not that so important, then why bother giving the ''official/unofficial attendance out anyway?......If I knew that the blokes either side of me weren''t gonna turn up, I would have put on a warmer coat......

I didn''t say they''d stopped going......they didn''t attend the match yesterday for whatever reason.....? But I did attend, although unfortunately without a thick enough coat......

I wonder if people form a scrum around you on matchdays......Just begging to have selfies taken with you.....?