Sign in to follow this  
BobLoz3

Archant Team- Sort it out!

These ''take over'' ads you''re running on the Pink Un at the moment are all well and good for hitting your targets, I''m sure.But it''s totally pointless for anyone who wants to actually READ the stories on the homepage. Because the way these are set up is cutting off the first couple of letters of each sentence in each paragraph. It''s still possible to read things, but it''s also pretty annoying.

Worth a large amount of money, unfortunately, so won''t be changing any time soon

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Even me as a technophobe use Ad Blockers. [:P][/quote]I stopped using ad-blocker a while ago, but ads are now becoming so intrusive everywhere you go, it is too ridiculous for words, so have installed it again. 

The intrusion of ads is what we pay for a free service. The people paying for the ads are allowing you to use this forum starting and posting on threads like this.

How ungrateful to complain about and block these benefactors........

😉

I use Firefox with Adblock Plus and Strict Pop-up Blocker and never see an advert on this forum.The other thing you need to be aware of with this site is the tracking information they collect.Install Ghostery in your browser and you will see that each time you log in on here Ghostery blocks up to 14 trackers, and that is a lot compared to most sites.Installing Ghostery protects your privacy, controls who collects your data and prevents it being tracked.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]The intrusion of ads is what we pay for a free service. [/quote]

I agree, which is why I stopped using ad blocker a while ago.   However, I am finding that many websites are expanding adverts down over the text, obscuring what people are trying to read.  They also often take ages to load and make the web page jump around for too long.  This may be how it has to be, but there is a limit and imo the limit has been overstepped.  I would rather pay a subscription than see adverts..... 

Using Ifollow means you have to clear your cache and cookies sometimes and that logs you out of things and the ads start appearing everywhere.

But as I am technically breaking the rules by using Ifollow here in the UK, I have little room for complaint.

I say technically because even using a VPN they know I am in this country and take my money each game.

As usual, human nature dictates we want it all ways.

It costs virtually nothing to run this site so the adverts are just bunce for Archant. There is little or no moderation, it never gets, despite promises, updated with the latest gizmo''s and as far as forums go it''s pretty basic. Forums are cheap as chips to set up and run and require very little maintenance.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]As usual, human nature dictates we want it all ways.[/quote]No, it''s human behaviour

The fairest thing they could introduce is a "pay per post" system which would also apply retrospectively.People would then only post when they had something meaningful & relevant to say [;)]

"The intrusion of ads is what we pay for a free service. The people paying for the ads are allowing you to use this forum starting and posting on threads like this."

Equally if nobody used the pinkun or viewed their news stories, nobody would pay them for advertising. So it works both ways...

No, it''s human behaviour

No that was Bjork

[quote user="nutty nigel"]The intrusion of ads is what we pay for a free service. The people paying for the ads are allowing you to use this forum starting and posting on threads like this.

😉[/quote]
All footy forums are a free service aren''t they, never had to pay to use one yet?
Appreciate they need to advertise to get pennies in but these adverts are really obtrusive on each side of the page, surely they could just have them at the top and bottom of the page as other  forums do?
Still maybe they''ll use some of the money to update the software soon, must be bursting at the seams on this old sioftware with 14 years of posts on it?

[quote user="Diane"][these adverts are really obtrusive on each side of the page, surely they could just have them at the top and bottom of the page as other  forums do?[/quote]It is way over the top now, not just on here but on many websites - adverts are literally ruining the internet.  Yes, have adverts by all means, but don''t let them dominate.  It''s about balance - and that involves those in charge realising when ads are too obtrusive and doing something about it to redress the balance.  It''s perfectly possible to have ads anywhere without ruining people''s experience - it just needs a bit of common sense.

The take over ads don''t seem to be ruining the forum experiencee, just the homepage stories. Yes, I read them too and never complain when someone makes a post recycling a story that has literally just been posted on the homepage. [;)]This whole site probably needs to be redesigned, which would actually allow for more commercial opportunities that don''t also ruin the user experience. Although I''m sure the digital team at Archant realise this.

[quote user="Diane"][quote user="nutty nigel"]The intrusion of ads is what we pay for a free service. The people paying for the ads are allowing you to use this forum starting and posting on threads like this.

😉[/quote]
All footy forums are a free service aren''t they, never had to pay to use one yet?
Appreciate they need to advertise to get pennies in but these adverts are really obtrusive on each side of the page, surely they could just have them at the top and bottom of the page as other  forums do?
Still maybe they''ll use some of the money to update the software soon, must be bursting at the seams on this old sioftware with 14 years of posts on it?
[/quote]install an adblockersee post above

I would note that if you''re using adblocker software you really have no right to ever moan about the software on this forum.