Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

ineffective strikers

Please don''t tell me Delia & MWJ etc are responsible for mistakes that have been made HHS ? As you say Bowkett was chairman until December 2015 and since then we have been relegated and are now heading for our 3rd season in The Championship. All gone downhill since he left by the look of things.

As they were serving on the board during this time, then yes, and Alan Bowkett are responsible for any “mistakes”, or indeed praise for any good decisions.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Please don''t tell me Delia & MWJ etc are responsible for mistakes that have been made HHS ? As you say Bowkett was chairman until December 2015 and since then we have been relegated and are now heading for our 3rd season in The Championship. All gone downhill since he left by the look of things.[/quote]We did get relegated when Mr Bowkett was chairman. Things went uphill and downhill when he was chairman, I fail to see how you can choose his time in that position as a model for the fortunes of the club.

I thought Srbeny did quite well on Saturday. Aside of failing to score, his link up play was pretty good, as was his hold up play. Certainly didn''t look like we missed Nelson.

The miss just makes his performance seem worse than it really was, given the nature of how the ball fell to him. If you watch the replay from behind the goal, you can see the keeper is very quick to his feet, even if he had shot on target the likelihood is that the keeper would have saved it, or at best it would have hit the post. A shame he missed, as he could have done with a goal, but by any means it was a decent performance.

I loved that time under Bowkett and McNally. I loved how we got cat one academy under the the stewardship of Ricky Martin. My old mate Tilly did too. And didn''t offer up the smallest squeak of criticsm when Bowkett and McNally shared their plans for every last penny to be spent on the first team. In fact, like me, he spoke against investing any of it in bricks and mortar. He was as happy as me when Ricky Martin told the shareholders how he was going to win cat one status for our academy. The board and Ricky carried out those promises to the letter so we were both happy? You''d think so. BUT it all went wrong on the pitch and it seems mistakes were made and those policies were short sighted.

Me, I''m not so sure. David McNally always told us success in football was cyclical and we could all see that at other clubs. Where me and Tilly differ I guess is that he wants to use huge dollops of hindsight to discredit those he doesn''t like while managing to extricate those who he likes. It''s a fit up I tells ya...

Thought Srbeny looked much, much better on Saturday, with some really good hold and link up play. Shame he missed a bit of a sitter as it would have capped an excellent performance from him.

Still, Oliveira and Leitner have missed much worse chances this season so it''s not just him...

I have told you before Nutty i had no hindsight whatsoever when it came to McNally and The Man From Mulbarton as you know full well i was critical of them both during the later stages of their tenure. As expected you have mentioned Cat One status as though it was some unbelievable achievement with Norwich City punching above the weight with regard to other clubs. There are 24 Cat One Acadamies up and down the land amongst the 92 clubs several of which do not even run an acadamy and of those 24 a handful of them are also playing in The Championship and even down in League One.The mention of me speaking up against investing in bricks and mortar is you moving the goalposts to fit your view because it was with regard to ground expansion nothing whatsoever to do with improvements to the Acadamy.

Tilly, we both agreed with Bowkett and McNally that all available funds should go to the first team. I don''t remember you calling for the funds to be diverted to Colney. This is all news to me. Still, even if you want to pretend that your view was that we should have invested in Colney you''ll be hard pressed to find away of saying that was Bowkett''s view too. Because it clearly wasn''t. I dare say you could claim that the Chairman had no idea about what was needed at Colney but what sort of Chairman would that make him?
Likewise I doubt you''ll find anyone who wouldn''t give Ricky Martin credit for delivering the cat one academy. Your personal opinion about people is no judgement on their abilities. Probably quite the opposite....

Tilly, we both agreed with Bowkett and McNally that all available funds should go to the first team. I don''t remember you calling for the funds to be diverted to Colney. This is all news to me. Still, even if you want to pretend that your view was that we should have invested in Colney you''ll be hard pressed to find away of saying that was Bowkett''s view too. Because it clearly wasn''t. I dare say you could claim that the Chairman had no idea about what was needed at Colney but what sort of Chairman would that make him?
Likewise I doubt you''ll find anyone who wouldn''t give Ricky Martin credit for delivering the cat one academy. Your personal opinion about people is no judgement on their abilities. Probably quite the opposite....

Nutty i well remember the presentation McNally gave at the AGM with regard to the work required at Colney but i certainly do not recall any mention of it having to be at the expense of the playing budget.I assumed obviously wrongly as it appears now that we had a budget for building maintenance should work or refurbishment be required at both Carrow Road and Colney. Of course the playing side of things had and still should be our number one priority but not at the expense of letting the infrastructure go to the dogs.Maybe that was part of the picture Webber painted when he said at the last AGM that we had pi**ed the Premiership money up the wall ?

Come on Tilly!!! The old, well, he could’ve meant this card, really? Where did you think the money would be diverted from? Which sector of the budget?

No point pleading ignorance after the event m’lud. And, had we channelled cash from the playing budget to any other expense stream, the club would have been lynched for their lack of hambition.

I do not think it has gone to the dogsI just think that it will not meet/pass the requirements needed to retain Cat 1 status - a ''check'' is coming up next autumn (I think).Webber has laid out that we will go down the road of developing young and ''unproven'' players and so Cat 1 is therefore integral to than plan - hence to need for an upgrade and the bond as a means to fund it.As Duncan, and myself at numerous times have, said, had the club spent money on an up grade there would have been howls of complaint and be would have been back in the squad v bricks and mortar ructions.

Well I just looked at the club''s strategic report from the 2015/16 accounts. It lists eight key potential business risks and facilities at Colney isn''t one of them.
It states that first team performance can have a significant impact on most of the other key risk areas , so investment in the playing squad continues to be the number one priority.
Then it says in capital letters...
BY ORDER OF THE BOARD

Duncan surplus monies from revenue streams in all areas of the club should of course be '' diverted '' towards the playing budget but it smacks of lack of vision and planning that we are where we are today.As for Compo1st ( a title i stole from elsewhere on this messageboard by the way [:P] ) not agreeing that the infrastructure at Colney has not gone to the dogs maybe i should have used the wording no longer fit for purpose certainly with regard to the portacabins being used for changing rooms and classrooms.

Fit for what purpose ?What has caused the need for an upgrade ?As we seem to be ok up to now.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I think it''s something to do with "the facilities".

Apparently they''d been using a wall...[/quote]I thought it was the board who had been doing thatso fair play to Delia if she had been (another one to add to her list of talents)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Well I just looked at the club''s strategic report from the 2015/16 accounts. It lists eight key potential business risks and facilities at Colney isn''t one of them.
It states that first team performance can have a significant impact on most of the other key risk areas , so investment in the playing squad continues to be the number one priority.
Then it says in capital letters...
BY ORDER OF THE BOARD
[/quote]That same strategic report containing the identical key potential business risks was printed again word for word in the 2014/15 & 2016/17 accounts. So we appear to have only had an issue with Colney since Webber came to the Club. The accounts for 2017/18 should show a shift from this entrenched view i assume ?

I would have thought that would be the case. However if we''re going to start blaming previous boards yer man Bowkett is party to intructions to the CE which are by order of the board...

I am intrigued by this idea of having to choose between keeping the training facilities up to scratch and a competitive playing budget.

Does every other team have to make this choice?

I think every club gets to choose how they spend their money. They will also have a strategic plan. They will also have CEs and other staff who carry out these plans BY ORDER OF THE BOARD...
Even I get to choose how to spend my money. (That''s not strictly true but I''m not going into that on here).

“Even I get to choose how to spend my money. (That''s not strictly true but I''m not going into that on here)”

You only have to say that you’re married 😉

[quote user="king canary"]I am intrigued by this idea of having to choose between keeping the training facilities up to scratch and a competitive playing budget.

Does every other team have to make this choice?[/quote]

No, as both those choices are rather subjective